Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Focus TDI - Anybody Had One ?
perksy

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Focus TDI - Anybody Had One ?

Looking at replacing the Tin top next year and have been thinking about the Ford Focus TDI

Heard good reports and running costs look ok

Was looking at going for a Golf TDI but they seem to go for serious money considering some of the mileages i've seen

Has anybody had a Focus TDI and if so what did you think of it ?

Eg Did anything break or fall off it ?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Perksy

austin man

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
The golf can give some serious power though when tuned and still return a decent MPG, then there is also the resalve value

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

phoenix70

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had one for a couple of years, one of the newer shaped ones (2005 I think).

Mine was the lowest powered 1.6 Diesel, but to be honest it still felt nippy. No real problems to reports, the only issue I had with it and the 60,000 mile that I had it for was when I replaced the fuel filter... it aint fitted with an automatic or manual bleeding system so you need a hand pump to pump the fuel back up.

Other than that was a good car, handled well and was pretty well built too.

Cheers

Scott

asn163

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
You want a TDCi not a TDI.

I had a 51 plate 1.8 TDCI Ghia for 8 years, 120K miles. Averaged 48mpg, with good perfornace.

Only major problem was it needed a new engine loom due to corrosion, circa. £900 at a main dealers, but this is was a rare problem.

Also had a new water pump and a couple of new springs while I had it in addition to usual service costs, timing belt etc.

Just check for rust around rear arches and tailgate on Ghia models.

Would recommend.

HTH

Simon

[Edited on 12/11/10 by asn163]

iank

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Had a 52 plate Focus TDi Estate, it was basically solid and I put a lot of miles on without much care required. It did tend to be a bit smoky at times when giving it a boot full after traffic jam speeds. Only work required was an engine fan that wore a hole in the radiator but it looked like a botched previous repair where it hadn't been refitted correctly.

As said the TDCi is a better engine for everything except repair costs, I've currently got a TDCi Mondeo. To be honest the Mondeo is a better car in every respect and they tend to be the same price or cheaper second hand than an equivalent focus.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Jon Ison

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
TDi Focus ? Best car we have ever owned to date.
Danozeman

posted on 13/11/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Was looking at going for a Golf TDI but they seem to go for serious money considering some of the mileages i've seen

They will also do double the mileage an better fuel economy than a focus. Plus the engines are smoother.

But as said the Focus TDCi is the one to go for. If you get a later one theyr cam chain not belt. Theyr ood cars but there is soo many of them around. Mondeos are cheaper and bigger. I saw an 02 reg with less than 100k on it for 900 quid the other day.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

gazza285

posted on 13/11/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

They will also do double the mileage an better fuel economy than a focus. Plus the engines are smoother.

As long as the cylinder head doesn't crack, common VW problem.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.