Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: changing a trailer damper
JoelP

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
changing a trailer damper

hi all. The brake damper on my trailer failed, so i have dissembled it hoping it would be obvious what was wrong, but it isnt.

It failed badly enough that the thinner bar was stuck out the back of the coupling, and bent. Looking at new ones on ebay, this should be threaded at the end - but mine isnt. The end on it does look sheared, so maybe this part has fallen off completely.

The real problem is that the lever that this should fasten to does not have any sign of how it connected - there is no holes, no bolt/nut, no sign of a weld missing. It almost looks like they just pressed on each other, but that would never have worked. There is a worn spot on the front of the lever so maybe it sat in a cup of some sort.

Its an old caravan hitch, no brand on it, but the closest matching damper on ebay are indespension.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
got it, FWIW. The damper connects to the housing, and the drawbar tube presses on the brake lever.

Its scrap anyway, once i tot up the parts required. Cheaper to get a nice new one!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 29/12/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Once you have the hitch off, its all very easy

Well, my old caravan one was

But they listed about 50 different ones

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.