Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towbar
jacko

posted on 3/1/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Towbar

Hi All i am thinking of fitting a towbar to my Indy so when i go on weekend camping i can use a small trailer
The thing is where to bolt the bar too.
I have plates at the rear corners were the roll bar bolts to but what would you bolt to at the front [ diff mounts ]?

If anyone has done this please post photos
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 3/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
not sure you can legally make a towbar yourself nowadays, or so i was told.

However, you would just need to brace it to a few strong areas - id suggest something in the vacinity of the rear wishbone mounts.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Bluemoon

posted on 3/1/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have fitted fixings for a removable on on mine, but this is probably irrelevant to you as I have non-standard rear end (I have a hoop ect as using an ali back panel, and barry type roll bar)..

Not sure if the diff mounts will be sufficient as you need to stop the whole thing twisting, you may also need more support than this. I think you idea of using the bottom of your weld in roll bar looks a good idea, combined with the diff should be strong enough I would guess (again if in doubt please check) to stop the twisting..

As to fitting, pre IVA cars, I believe to be o.k (please check if your worried) as this was a loop hole, IVA'd cars without a towbar are not possible as far as I can tell, you would have to do this at IVA time with the calculations to prove it was up to the job (from MK!!).

Dan

[Edited on 3/1/11 by Bluemoon]

sonic

posted on 3/1/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
My mate is a Towbar fitter and he has just told me that they all have to be type approved to the car now and carry a Bs number.thats why the don't usually require any drilling and line up with existing holes on the car.

Also just been told by him that you are supposed to show the Gross vechicle weight and towing capacity in the bottom of your windscreen as well,ie caravaners etc.he said nobody ever does though!!

So i think you would have to work out your braked and unbraked towing capacity as well.

[Edited on 3/1/11 by sonic]

Marcus

posted on 3/1/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's had one from the start and a strengthening plate was welded in whilst I could get to it under the tank. There's also an extra full width bar under the tank. I modified a Mini (classic) bar to fit, just uses 4 bolts into captive nuts. TBH I've not towed anything yet, but use it as a mounting point for my rack (which has seen a lot of use ).
It carried a type 9 gearbox from Manchester with all the weight on the tow bar, so should be ok for a small trailer....

Gearbox
Gearbox

Sorry no pics from underneath...

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 3/1/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like its a no no then
Thanks for the info
And i think i must have made at least 7 towbars over the years
Jacko

Myke 2463

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Making a good strong tow bar is not a problem, but finding an insurance company who would give you cover might be a big one.

A large luggage rack might also become a get out in the event of a claim.

Be Lucky Mike.

jacko

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Making a good strong tow bar is not a problem, but finding an insurance company who would give you cover might be a big one.

A large luggage rack might also become a get out in the event of a claim.

My next idea is to make a box to go on the side of the car, 2 brackets coming off the seat bolts for the box to sit on
Any body done this
Jacko

jacko

posted on 4/1/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.solent-towbars.co.uk/towbar-legislation-law.html
Think this says it all
My car was registered 2004

[Edited on 4/1/11 by jacko]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.