Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do you think of this GT6?
pewe

posted on 4/2/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
What do you think of this GT6?

Just wondered what you guys think of the Sammio?
About to take the tarp off my GT6 which has stood outdoors for donkeys.
Suspect the body will be too far gone to restore plus SWMBOs not keen on it (crashed it twice!).
This GRP body fits onto the original chassis using a supplied custom-made spaceframe and all the other running gear, instruments etc.
Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Cheers, Pewe.
Sammio
Sammio

samio rear
samio rear

HowardB

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
wow!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jacko

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice go for it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
femster87

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I want one
Richard Quinn

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at those the other night. Is the Spit/GT6 the same underneath as the Herald/Vitesse? The site suggests Herald/Vitesse but Vitesses are like rocking horse poo and the Herald would be a bit lacking and there are only really tidy or really cr*ppy examples about.
If it would go on a Spitfire or GT6 it would open up a few more options.

pauldm28

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Stunning! Just kit yourself out in some old fashioned driving goggles & preferably a white scarf held upright with wire!

it reminds me of the MGB sebring I'm building, but your plan is better. [this is not mine!]

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Shades of a D type Jag.
Love it.
Go for it, you know you want to.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

austin man

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think there is a massive amount of bodywork required to get it looking that nice, I have seen them on the bay of e and the pre completed models appear to be completeley skimmed with filler which suggests not the best quality finish from the mould. I do personally think its a brilliant shape though and in keeping with a classic sportscar

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

kendo

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I liked the look of this car, but when I had a look on the website it looked a bit ropey.

The moulding quality looked awful and the additional steel framework looked a little badly thought out.

Now, I haven't seen one in the flesh so I may be doing a it a grave mis-justice my opinion is simply based on my impression from the website.

mookaloid

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you can make it look like that you really should go for it

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

paulf

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I also though some of the ones on there web site were a bit rough looking although a nice classic shape and may be a good basis for some one building on a budget but able to spend a lot of time on finishing the body work.I thought the sub frame was a bit ropey but easily improved on , the main thing that would put me off is the lack of doors and tall sides compared to a seven so maybe not that practical to climb in and out of.Doors would be quite a major job to fit.
Paul

Wadders

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
It's not going to make it handle any better, it will just make the third crash mor expensive
and considerably more awkward to crawl away from, seeing as they seem to have forgotten the doors!

Sell the Triumph to a nice pipe smoking man, with a beard, wearing tweeds and a flat cap, buy an english wheel, a set of hammers and a sand bag...... and bloody well make your own body!...... stick it on a locost chassis, and bingo

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
He now offers a different front end (more cobraesque/Lancia D24) which, personally I prefer and accomodates the straight six engine better.
http://www.sammio-spyder.com/home.html
Must admit, I've pondered over possibly doing one of these in the future along with transplanting a Rover v8 or Alfa V6 under the bonnet.

adithorp

posted on 4/2/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with the others about the heath robinson frame and dodgy looking finish on the website.

I'd be looking to turn it into a LeMans Spitfire

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

snapper

posted on 5/2/11 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Base it on a GT6 as it has better rear end, all the chassis from Herald to GT6 are similar, but for Godsake fab the rear for wishbones, I had a Spitfire when I was 21 ( just remembered Custom Car mag took the wee out of that the same way you lot ridicule my Robin Hood, but that's another story), the front end was great, the back was shall we say challenging.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/11 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I love it. Looks about the same size as a midget, and as above, very Jaguar-esque.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Dusty

posted on 5/2/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Don't like it. Looks like a failed 1960's kit car crossed with a spriget. What's wrong with the GT6 shape. To me one of the prettiest cars of its era. Restore the body and put a zetec/type9/sierra lsd in it. That's what will be in mine when I get round to restoring it. (Later back end with decent coilover shocks plus major change of new upper wishbone to replace the transverse spring and modified sierra drive shafts)
John Bonnett

posted on 5/2/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote: all the chassis from Herald to GT6 are similar

That's what I thought, but they're not.

Pewe take a look at this thread

linky

Although the thread started off about rebodying regs it drifted into the Sammio Spyder.

It is based on the Herald/Vitesse chassis which is longer than the Spitfire/GT6 chassis. In my view, the very pleasing lines of the Sammio were ruined when it was shortened to fit the Spitfire chassis.

John

[Edited on 5/2/11 by John Bonnett]

iank

posted on 5/2/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Base it on a GT6 as it has better rear end, all the chassis from Herald to GT6 are similar, but for Godsake fab the rear for wishbones, I had a Spitfire when I was 21 ( just remembered Custom Car mag took the wee out of that the same way you lot ridicule my Robin Hood, but that's another story), the front end was great, the back was shall we say challenging.

The back ends aren't quite as dangerous on a car that weighs less than 700kg.
Linky to nightmare tuck under handling

The ultimate rear suspension for a spitfire uses the GT6 rotoflex design with proper CV joints rather than the now hard to find rubber donuts - being smaller you can also avoid the odd shaped wishbones from the GT6 (needed to go around the huge donuts).

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/product/cvkit1.html&xsl=product.xsl

[Edited on 5/2/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

cliftyhanger

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few triumph things on here that I am involved in
I ran a zetec spitfire until I hit some diesel on a bend. Game over. Nothing to do with the suspension as another car did the same a few minutes later (but not quite as fast)
Anyway, I am putting the "new" one together, and looking at rear suspension upgrades.
I need to avoid chopping the chassis (that will be noticable) otherwise IVA will be a problem.
So I am doing a conversion that uses Volvo lobro joints attached to the diff via an adaptor, that mates to a rover 100 driveshaft. That will slot into an MGF upright. There is a chappie who is machining the rotoflex uprights to accept the mgf bearing which is a simpler route, but needs the roto uprights.
I am also trying to sort a lower wishbone that will avoid the need for a tie-rod (reduce bump steer) and all the geometry that goes with it. A full sized model it soon to be built so I can measure camber changes.
The diffs are also being swapped to scooby ones, cheap, strong and good ratios available. Will fit in the chassis with no chopping, but some bracketry is required. I suspect kits will be made available at some point.....

Oh, the link with the massive tuck in was the earlier type of suspension. Rotoflex stopped that, and indeed the very simple swap to swingsprings on the later spitfire.

[Edited on 5/2/11 by cliftyhanger]

pewe

posted on 5/2/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, thanks for the replies - lots of food for thought as ever.

Like the thought that it'll just make the third crash more expensive!
As someone said it just borders on a '60s glass fibre special.
Fortunately their Poole factory isn't a huge distance from Reading to go and take a look in the flesh.
Other options such as the Le Mans version interesting .

I suppose the first job is to investigate the condition of the old girl (car not SWMBO).
My other concern is how it will handle given that it must be much lighter and it wasn't an ideal set-up as standard with the boat anchor of a six cylinder at the front.
Rear end wasn't too bad as it's a MK2 with Rotaflex and wishbone suspension.
Maybe I'll just have to find that weirdy, beardy to sell it to as is (no hang on a minute that description sounds familiar).

I'll keep yous posted.
Cheers, Pewe

scootz

posted on 5/2/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've always thought the original GT6 styling was the only thing that puts me off getting one os all the reports of poor handling.

I'd be sorely tempted if there was a space-frame kit allowing the floor pan of the shell to be cut off and the GT6 clothes draped over it!

As for the Sammio kit... I had previously seen it on eBay and thought it was a nice shape. I'm not so sure of it's proportions now I've seen one on a chassis. Looks pretty dumpy.

It's Evolution Baby!

John Bonnett

posted on 5/2/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Pewe, in case you didn't spot it, this is what your GT6 would look like with the shortened Sammio body

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

In my view, the GT6 is a beautiful looking car and that the shortened Sammio is not in the same league.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 5/2/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
The GT6 is certainly a beautiful car and I eyed them with envy in my youth when I was driving my first car - a MkII Triumph 2000 TC. Still, I used to content myself that I had the same straight six engine and I'd tell unsuspecting burrds that mine was a Stag with a hard top!!
But, if the GT6 is full of tinworm, then surely the Sammio is a viable option. I think Jon's above pic of the GT6 derived Sammio is particularly unflattering and perhaps, its 'dumpiness' is exagerrated in that pic by the fact that the suspension hasn't been lowered yet.
The Sammio has only been around for about 18months since its conception (I remember seeing a prototype on the back of a trailer at the Exeter kit car show in 2009) and looks to have undergone rapid development since. No doubt there'll be further big developments in the future.
I do like the latest nose/bonnet and think it makes the Sammio a good looking car from all angles now (I wasn't a fan of the original 'Porsche' style nose.)
Bugger, I don't seem to be able to post a pic - still, its the red one at the bottom of the page with the '66' white numbers on it.
http://www.sammio-spyder.com/home.html

John Bonnett

posted on 5/2/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
First my apology for the large GT6 picture. I've resized it several times but it still comes out too big. Along with most of you, I find it very irritating when a large picture impacts on trying to read what everyone else has written. Sorry

Andrew you are probably quite right that the shortened Sammio is not shown in its best light in that picture but my point was that the proportions have been lost in shortening it. The Herald based car is in my opinion very nice to look at from every angle and Gary must be congratulated on the work he has put in to produce such a pretty and affordable conversion.

Just taking the very mixed opinions of everyone who has replied to this thread illustrates how subjective attractive is and fortunately not everyone likes the same things.

In trying to find a suitable body on which to base my new project, I have discovered an interesting relationship between overall length and the height of the car. If it falls within the range of 25 - 33% height to length, the body looks sleek. Over 35% the sleekness (if there is such a word) is lost. The ride height of the Sammio in this picture certainly doesn't help its cause, that's agreed. Just an observation and just my opinion.

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.