Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Knee surgery today
nick205

posted on 21/2/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Knee surgery today

Sat waiting for keyhole knee surgery to sort out a carteledge tear. Keen to have it done and get back running and cycling, but not looking forward to it. Apprehensive of the general anaesthetic too, never been put under before.

Mainly though I'm nil by mouth and gagging for coffee

Guinness

posted on 21/2/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck mate!

I did something to my knee snowboarding last year, and it hasn't been right since. Took nearly 2 months to get an appointment with a physio, but she was brilliant.

However, if I don't do the exercises 3 times a day, within a couple of days I'm knackered again

BenB

posted on 21/2/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just think of it like just a quick tidy up of a frilly GRP bodywork edge, nothing like a full engine swap eh
Good luck!
Enjoy the anaesthetic. When I was doing anaesthetics a certain local FC football player said as he was going under "wow, this is better than drugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" before falling asleep. I think the problem is people think of gas induction for anaesthesia (too many TV programs showing anaesthetics leaning forwards with gas masks) whereas I've only ever seen profolol injection which I must say (having had it twice now) really isn't that bad.
Yes the NBM bit is a bit trying.

mackei23b

posted on 21/2/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a smilar keyhole operation on my knee after I tore the cartilage and my knee would lock prior to the op.

All good now several years on.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

chris mason

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Nick,

I had a cartledge op about 14 years ago, while playing football i tore my cartledge, 1st they went in with the camera, then they opened my knee up to remove some, ended up being under GA for about 4 hours, being 21 at the time helped though, within a day or 2 of leaving hospital i was playing football again, much to the doctors dismay

edsco

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
A little game for you.
When they put yo under (which is nothing to worry about. Just like falling asleep when you have had a few too many!), but often they say ' now count to 10'. If you can get to 3 or 4 you are doing well. I have had quite a few ops now and am sure i have built up a tolerance to GA as i got to 7 once i seem to remember. Helps if you have an independent adjudicator to verify.

edsco

jabbahutt

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Best of luck Nick with the op. As above try not to get too worried about going under, see how many you can count back I bet it won't be far. All the best for a speedy recovery.

BenB

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edsco
A little game for you.
When they put yo under (which is nothing to worry about. Just like falling asleep when you have had a few too many!), but often they say ' now count to 10'. If you can get to 3 or 4 you are doing well. I have had quite a few ops now and am sure i have built up a tolerance to GA as i got to 7 once i seem to remember. Helps if you have an independent adjudicator to verify.

Yup, most people get to "threeeeeeeeeeeeee.....zzzzzzzz"

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have never managed to get past 3,

Question. My elbow locks up a lot especially on extension and is generally really painful. I can't full extend it either and there are grissly lumps on the inside near my torso. Do you think this is cartiledge damage? Can anything be done?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

hising

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

Question. My elbow locks up a lot especially on extension and is generally really painful. I can't full extend it either and there are grissly lumps on the inside near my torso. Do you think this is cartiledge damage? Can anything be done?

As an Orthopaedic surgeon (In Sweden) I would suggest that you see an Orthopaedic surgeon if possible. What we need is the story (how long, how often, when did it start, any trauma etc.), physical exam and a X-ray. If the solution is not obvious then then maybe the next step is a MRI-scan. Eventually maybe arthroscopy of the elbow joint.

To think that your fellow locostbuilder could give you an answer on this forum is kind of fun, I think.

regards

Johan Hising
Sweden

mad4x4

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Had my left knee done about 8 years ago. Only bit of advice I will give is go to the gym and build up leg strength will help with the recover at the 3 - 6 month period. Also it took ages before i could Kneel on it - believe this is normal.

All the best.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

John Bonnett

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Best wishes Nick, do hope all goes well. My thoughts are with you.

best regards

John

BenB

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

1) possibly not
2) probably

It probably does need some investigations to find out. Luckily down here we can refer direct for MRIs and they're usually done in about 3-4 weeks. IE prob worth seeing your GP....

Triton

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with it all. I have now had my right shoulder operated on twice in the last 15 years. During the last Op the surgeon found an old stitch left over from previous op 14 years ago...hence the leverage effect and pop goes the shoulder

So far so good but only been 4 months or so but I'm left with a lot less movement and a fear of over reaching as the surgeon stated no more can be done if I pop it again. Joint is ok it's all the stringy bits

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 21/2/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
general anasthetic is pretty awesome lol, you hear some pretty cool stuff if you try to stay awake. i heard some prety cool sounds, like springs boinging about, wish i could have recorded it for some tunes
not sure if 'trying to stay awake' is a good idea, but thats how i did it. can't remember what number i got to though.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

martinq357

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the Op.

I had a general 4 weeks ago for an ankle problem (still off work in a removable cast) and it was fine.

They put a Canular (spelling??) in the back of my hand and apart for a cold sensation up my arm, I can't remember a thing! When I came round it felt like the best sleep I'd ever had with no after effects..... Unlike a previous general where I upchucked the first thing I ate (but I think that was down to dehydration).

nick205

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just come round! Dazed and a bit gippy.

Out like a light, cold sensation and got 3, then gone.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
didn't want to say before you went under but I get as sick as a dog any time I have a general

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nick205

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
didn't want to say before you went under but I get as sick as a dog any time I have a general

Thanks for that, it's passed now, but came close to hurling!

Fantastic nursing staff (although disappointing on the looks front) as per every NHS experience I've had.

James

posted on 21/2/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hising

As an Orthopaedic surgeon (In Sweden) <snip>

To think that your fellow locostbuilder could give you an answer on this forum is kind of fun, I think.

I'm frankly horrified that you consider the possiblity that we might *not* know a solution!

This is Locostbuilders- we pride ourselves on solving *any* question!

You've pretty much failed the first test of LB, if you'd been here longer I think we'd have to consider this worthy of a life ban.

Liam,
Start with a Stanley (use celly thinners to clean the blade- last thing you want is an infection!). Open up the joint. You may need a mirror wedged in the vice to help you see all round the elbow.

Next, take your grinder with a fresh flap wheel and smooth off any nasty lumps you find.

Rinse out any loose bits with fresh (obviously!) tap water.

Stitch it up (get some pink cotton from the missus- you don't want to clash!). In you can't find a needle then use a stapler.

If there's any bleeding still then use your blow torch or soldering iron to cauterise it.

Job done!

Hope that helps!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

carpmart

posted on 21/2/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by hising

As an Orthopaedic surgeon (In Sweden) <snip>

I'm frankly horrified that you consider the possiblity that we might *not* know a solution!

This is Locostbuilders- we pride ourselves on solving *any* question!

You've pretty much failed the first test of LB, if you'd been here longer I think we'd have to consider this worthy of a life ban.

Liam,
Start with a Stanley (use celly thinners to clean the blade- last thing you want is an infection!). Open up the joint. You may need a mirror wedged in the vice to help you see all round the elbow.

Next, take your grinder with a fresh flap wheel and smooth off any nasty lumps you find.

Rinse out any loose bits with fresh (obviously!) tap water.

Stitch it up (get some pink cotton from the missus- you don't want to clash!). In you can't find a needle then use a stapler.

If there's any bleeding still then use your blow torch or soldering iron to cauterise it.

Job done!

Hope that helps!!

Cheers,
James

Its a solution, but not one I'd recommend!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

rusty nuts

posted on 21/2/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother stitching, just use gaffer tape
daviep

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's all about the right tools for the job - superglue

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.