Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend a good MPG car..
m8kwr

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend a good MPG car..

I looking at changing the wifes car to something that is VERY good on fuel.

The main car is a XC70, which is not so good on fuel, but I am looking at using the car for my daily drive to work, which is a 60 mile round trip.

My budget is not great, between 3-4k, but really looking at something that can do 50mpg+ easily, sitting on the motorway at 60ish.

The overall look of the car is not important, just that it can do decent mpg - does anyone have any suggestions, as sometimes going by the manufactures mpg figures, is not always true

franky

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Spend £2k and get a vw bora/golf with the 110bhp engine. I do 40 miles each way to work and get a genuine 54mpg average over a year. That includes short runs too.
JeffHs

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fiesta 1.4 diesel. Small car feel but sits at 70 all day, uses very little fuel and £30 road tax.My wife has one and loves it.
mgmiller

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
No the Fiesta is rubbish, you have to rev it to death to get anywhere and it does about 45mpg nothing close to the stated figures. Were getting rid of our one in favor of a golf.
owelly

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
My Transit Connect! 1.8 TDCi on an 07 plate for the stunning bargain price of £4400 not VAT and no offers!
It does a genuine 56 mpg on a daily basis around here which is full of hills, and includeds pottering around town. I've done a few long runs and it's returned over 62mpg.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's C3 diesel gets close to 60 MPG on a run. We're about to put it up for sale. 54 plate. 53,000 miles. £4k

MK9R

posted on 21/2/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Spend £2k and get a vw bora/golf with the 110bhp engine. I do 40 miles each way to work and get a genuine 54mpg average over a year. That includes short runs too.

snap, bora is always a bit cheaper than golf. i got a 115bhp that was chipped to 140php, nice anippy, comfy and can return over 50mpg if driven sensibly, even driven tw@t like i get 40mpg

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martinq357

posted on 21/2/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi every time. My 90bhp one got to 100K miles and seemed to go from 55 to 60mpg overnight.

Thinking of buying another.

jossey

posted on 21/2/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
ford focus 1.6 diesel. 2008 onwards. i tested one on motorway 71 MPG.

Its also £30 road tax :O)

dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

BenB

posted on 21/2/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
My megane 1.5dci does 60ish. I got it up to 77mpg by going 60ish but it's a bit boring.
Only issue with them is the headlight change is a PITA and the fuel filter change is a ball ache.

beaver34

posted on 21/2/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota yaris 1.0 petrol

Our does 52 mpg that's at 75 and town driving great car and petrol is cheaper too

balidey

posted on 21/2/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I hope I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here, but do you realise you don't have to change the car to get a better MPG?
A lot (and its really surprising really how much) of fuel economy is how you drive. A few sensible changes to driving style can help a great deal. ie don't rev the nuts off it, lees unnecessary braking, coasting in gear when slowing. Windows closed, no air-con, no roof rack, check tyres pressures, no heavy loads in the boot etc etc. And driving with a full tank means you are carrying extra fuel if you keep 'brimming' instead of full to empty.

Or are you using the fuel economy issue for just wanting a new car? There's nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to make huge savings from going for better mpg.

Its like the people that say 'I'm only paying £35 road tax with my new car, isn't that a good saving'. My reply is usually 'Yeah, you sold a perfectly good car, spend another 12 grand to save about £80 a year. Well done'

[Edited on 21/2/11 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Ninehigh

posted on 21/2/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Prius? My parents have one and they manage a good 55mpg, during the crawl in traffic jams even better

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.