Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Data Analysis challenge
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/5/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Data Analysis challenge

I sub to Racecar Engineering Mag and every month they run an article on data aquisition where they have a feature on interpreting telemetry. I must say I really enjoy this and really look forward to it.

This is the one from the current issue, I reckon I have it sussed out but just wanted to share with you guys and see what you thought and whether you enjoyed it as much as I did.

The traces are as follow:-
RPM
Speed
Throttle angle
Throttle pot Voltage
Throttle pedal % depression

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/5/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Agriv8

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle pot not calibrated/setup correctly or picking up interferance .

How from - the Spkes on :-
Throttle angle
Throttle pot Voltage

and nothing on :-
Throttle pedal % depression

It hard to tell on there but from the diagrame is the Throtle Pot showing 100 % open ? which it should be at full Chat thus down on power.

Regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

TMC

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Cant really see the scale figures on the left of the graph, but it seems that 100% throttle pedal depression is not equating to 100% throttle opening at the business end.

If the car is fitted with a pedal stop then it needs to be moved and better set up, if its drive-by-wire then it needs better calibration.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have the benefit of a clear pic in the magazine, so I'll add a piece of information. The buz on the flat part of the throttle angle trace oscillates between 75 deg and 90 deg.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

TMC

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I have the benefit of a clear pic in the magazine, so I'll add a piece of information. The buz on the flat part of the throttle angle trace oscillates between 75 deg and 90 deg.

In which case I'm definitely going with my diagnosis: Throttle pedal movement isnt translating to throttle angle correctly.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigruss

posted on 13/5/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Throttle pedal movement isnt translating to throttle angle correctly.

That was my answer too.

MikeCapon

posted on 13/5/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bumpy track, poor seating + pedal position = lifting off???????
Agriv8

posted on 13/5/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

If it alwayd 75 - 90 possible Throttle pot not attached correctly and rotating missreading could also account for spikes at the other end

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

sebastiaan

posted on 13/5/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Gearing's too tall.
Paul (Notts)

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
With the pedal fully down -100% the throttle is only opening 82.5% BUT engine vibrations pull on the cable and produce a spike from 75 % to 90% as the engine vibrates from side to side.

Paul

Liam

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking the spikes on throttle angle/pot that aren't seen on the throttle pedal are automatic throttle blips from the management system for downshifts, so this could be drive-by-wire. The fact the throttle is not fully opening and seems to be fluttering would explain the lack of speed, but not sure what the reason for that would be - mechanical play somewhere or an electrical problem. The fact that the flutter is on the throttle angle trace but not the throttle pot trace may be the key, but I'm not 100% sure what those traces are exactly. I.e. surely the throttle angle must be measured by a pot. If so what is the throttle pot trace? Another throttle pot? Hmmmmmm.

Anyway - 1,000,000 points if I'm right about the auto throttle blips thing, please!

MakeEverything

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
My guess is a poor linkage between the throttle pedal and body, a bad earth or voltage loss, or a problem with the butterfly.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeCapon

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Well come on then Liam....

What's the answer please?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.