Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis options, Fury and Phoenix for RGB
Tris

posted on 9/10/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis options, Fury and Phoenix for RGB

Hi all,

Contemplating taking either a Fury or a Phoenix and converting it to run in next years Class F of RGB. Fancy taking a second hand none raced example, and making it race worthy with possibly a new engine.

Quick question, I know the Phoenix had a few different chassis options (round vers square tube), as has the fury. From purly a chassis point of view, which versions of either car would I be best to look out for when bearing in mind RGB ?

Cheers
Tris

HowardB

posted on 9/10/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure there was a lightweight fury on here for sale, 2.0 zetec, chap was looking for 5.5k

hth

linky

[Edited on 9/10/11 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/10/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
With the Phoenix you want to make sure you can get it low enough. Some versions can't get any lower than about 110mm before the chassis tube clashes with the rocker arm over bumps. The RGB minimum ride height is 75mm (from memory) and you want to be as low as possible. Not a massive deal, but you don't want to start with a disadvantage.
MK9R

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
How about taking an existing rgb car an upgrading it to the latest spec for RGB? I know of 2 furys currently up for sale that would be ideal. Get onto our forum and have a look around. www.rgb-racing .org.uk

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tris

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Austin,

Yes, I was at cadwell today having a look around and had a good look at the cars available. I've decided to either build one from new, or start off with a lightly used road car however, and convert it for RGB with a 08 CBR.

Would I be right in thinking that for the fury and Phoenix, the only difference between the bike engined and car engined versions of the chassis is the engine mounts ?

Cheers
Tris

MK9R

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Hi Austin,

Yes, I was at cadwell today having a look around and had a good look at the cars available. I've decided to either build one from new, or start off with a lightly used road car however, and convert it for RGB with a 08 CBR.

Would I be right in thinking that for the fury and Phoenix, the only difference between the bike engined and car engined versions of the chassis is the engine mounts ?

Cheers
Tris

There are square and round tube pheonix, and also lowered and road versions of the chassis. The fury is square tubed, but again lowered race and road versons. The car engined and bec chassis are the same, although different tubes may have been added or removed dependant on what engine has been fitted. It can all be easily modified though. If you are converting a road car you will need to replace all the bushed suspension parts with rose joints. Don't underestimate the cost to convert a road car, and ultimately it will cost far more to do this or build a new one rather than buying race ready and proven car.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
I know of a full caged STM Phoenix with a 4AGE engine in it which would be for sale at the right price. Currently it has an issue with the carbs but if you where going to change the engine anyway it wouldn't be an issue. This car is road registered but did compete in the 750MC Kit Car Championship.

adithorp

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
On the Fury there are standard and lightweight chassis (both with and without side impact bars) plus race chassis with the suspension points lowered. There's also been a few variants of the suspention over the years. The body work is also available in standard and lightweight. So if you get a road registered car, it'll probably have the heavier chassis and body work. Even if you modify the suspension mounts it'll be too lardy to be competitive.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Heather

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jeffw

That sounds like it could be our old car, silver colour?

Would be nice to see that out in RGB trim

TimC

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Tris,

I had planned to do exactly the same as you with a Striker a couple of years ago. Of course anything is possible but the amount of work/effort should not be underestimated. For example, if the car you buy has individual floor panels for each side of the car and you decide that you want a flat floor, it'll be more work to remove the old panels and replace them with a new one than it would have been to start from scratch with a bare chassis. If you need to drop the ride height then things get much more involved again.

If you are determined to do as you say, I'd be very tempted to have a look at this early Phoenix (Striker Clubmans.)

The bodywork, while not available any longer (moulds destroyed by fire I believe,) looks perfect for a RGB car - low front bodywork and large-ish bonnet bulge.

There is of course a non-JPSC alternative.

[Edited on 10/10/11 by TimC]

adithorp

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Tris,

... if the car you buy has individual floor panels for each side of the car and you decide that you want a flat floor, it'll be more work to remove the old panels and replace them with a new one than it would have been to start from scratch with a bare chassis....
[Edited on 10/10/11 by TimC]

...or you could fit a removable panel across the bottom of the tunnel. Much simpler and still allow access when required.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Benzo

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Don't underestimate the cost to convert a road car, and ultimately it will cost far more to do this or build a new one rather than buying race ready and proven car.

I converted my Westie from road car to RGB Spec race car for Ni7's racing and i would def. rather SVA a race car now than convert a road car.

Tris

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your input

I guess i know where i want to end up specification wise, its just figuring out the most efficient route of getting there. Take your points regards hidden costs converting a road going car though - I've just also got a lead on a raced fury that could be available at the right price so fingers crossed.

Cheers
Tris

MK9R

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks all for your input

I guess i know where i want to end up specification wise, its just figuring out the most efficient route of getting there. Take your points regards hidden costs converting a road going car though - I've just also got a lead on a raced fury that could be available at the right price so fingers crossed.

Cheers
Tris

You have u2u

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

TimC

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
...or you could fit a removable panel across the bottom of the tunnel. Much simpler and still allow access when required.

Agreed - it was essentially just an example - but, I'd bet that the ali gauge and grade used on most road cars would be sub-optimal, so it would essentially depend on to what extent you wanted to compromise on such things.

minitici

posted on 10/10/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a step-by-step guide how to convert a road spec Fury chassis to lowered race spec.
Fury Re-Build

Assuming that race spec lowered chassis are available again (BGH stopped making them at the time of this re-build) then that would be the preferred option.

TimC

posted on 10/10/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Here is a step-by-step guide how to convert a road spec Fury chassis to lowered race spec.
Fury Re-Build

Assuming that race spec lowered chassis are available again (BGH stopped making them at the time of this re-build) then that would be the preferred option.

That's got to help!

jeffw

posted on 10/10/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Hi Jeffw

That sounds like it could be our old car, silver colour?

Would be nice to see that out in RGB trim

That's the one Heather. Dan and I came up and bought it from you & Tony

[Edited on 10/10/11 by jeffw]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.