Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thinking about building a BEC MINI
tompat3463

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
thinking about building a BEC MINI

hi guys.

im thinking about building a BEC mini like the Zcars kit U can get.

one got any detailed pictures of a rear engined mini chassis or has anyone built one and express how easy they are to do ??

cheers Alan

martynrich67

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help you with pictures, but having had a good look at a couple of Z Cars Minis, and also having been down to their premises to have a look round, I would say that their fabrication work is second to none.

I bought their DVD a couple of Years ago which shows the procedure, etc for carrying out the conversion, and I reckon the kit is reasonably straight forward to install (assuming you have reasonable skills), as you basically cut the cloor out and bolt the entire engine and transmission cradle in.

Chris at Z-Cars was most helpful and friendly, and took time out to show me round some of the cars they are building (some are sheer madness lol), even though I just dropped in when passing, and with no invite or appointment.

welderman

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=31944

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Bare

posted on 10/10/11 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
2 things come to mind:
1) Axle ratios... Seen a few that are geared so low that they start in 5th and top out at 50mph in 6th :-)
2) NOISE... Best wear good ear protection AND a helmet.

Flick

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare

2) NOISE... Best wear good ear protection AND a helmet.

Second that.

T66

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I am biased toward a Fiat shell...same theme, just not a Mini. There has been several unfinished Zcars projects & homebuilt ones on ebay recently, I looked at a twin engine RWD Mini not that long ago, went for £3650 unfinished.

The Zcars Minis look very good.

http://www.retropower.co.uk/projects_126_Blackbird.htm

blakep82

posted on 10/10/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
and should really go through IVA... but, you know...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

probablyleon

posted on 10/10/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
There's a very clever chap called Richard Brabbins, not on LCB to my knowledge (but really should be). He built one that was recently advertised on Pistonheads (bright yellow). Definitely the nicest looking BEC mini I've seen (although I've only seen pictures). He built it, and a seven I once owned as side projects to his more ambitious 'Brabini GT' (heavily featured in one of the kit car mags a while back). The seven I had was a truly impressive piece of work; Caterham front end, Westfield IRS, offset engine, pushed right up near the scuttle etc etc. I spoke to him a couple of times and was totally blown away by his craftsmanship, ingenuity and knowledge, I can only assume the mini he built was as impressive. U2U me for his email address, I'm sure he's be happy to talk to you.
tompat3463

posted on 29/10/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
can anybody answer these questions for me ???

1.. Is it worth buying an old Mini and stipping it of the parts I dont need and keeping and refurbing the parts I do need ??
I would say I could get a complete running circa 85' mini for around £1000 is that ambitious ?? or is the best option just to buy a shell and then part that I do need after that ??

2.. is the front subframe completely custom built like the rear one or does it use parts of the old mini subframe ??

3.. what are the advantages of seam welding the mini's shell ?? and how easy is it to do ??

TIA Alan

martinq357

posted on 29/10/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
There's a very clever chap called Richard Brabbins, not on LCB to my knowledge (but really should be). He built one that was recently advertised on Pistonheads (bright yellow). Definitely the nicest looking BEC mini I've seen (although I've only seen pictures). He built it, and a seven I once owned as side projects to his more ambitious 'Brabini GT' (heavily featured in one of the kit car mags a while back). The seven I had was a truly impressive piece of work; Caterham front end, Westfield IRS, offset engine, pushed right up near the scuttle etc etc. I spoke to him a couple of times and was totally blown away by his craftsmanship, ingenuity and knowledge, I can only assume the mini he built was as impressive. U2U me for his email address, I'm sure he's be happy to talk to you.

Hugely talented, but according to a report a few months ago in Complete Kit Car has sadly (& very prematurely) passed away. The Brabini GT was a masterpiece of design & engineering quality, he even took on the DVLA & won when it came to gaining an age related plate.

beaver34

posted on 29/10/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon

im afraid richard passed away afew month ago he lived local to me, but i total agree with what you said, a very clever chap will be missed

to the original poster, look at knight motorsport engineering, he does a full fit to fit the r1 engine in the fron just a bolt up job and its a proper bit of woork, i can get you some detail on it if you wish, there demo car is a amazing r1 turbo fws mini of the best ive even see, they also do alot of busa rwd minis too last one was 498 bhp i have the contact details if you wish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.