Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spire GTR's
scootz

posted on 25/7/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Spire GTR's

Does anyone know much about them?

History... good / bad.... anything really!

Cheers!

It's Evolution Baby!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2755
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 25/7/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have it when you've taken it apart.
How much for delivery

scootz

posted on 25/7/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Special discount for you Craig!

It's Evolution Baby!

welderman

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pffft lol

I nearly got one but the induction noise above your head made my ears ring. Although I do have tinitus
That really was the only thing that put me off.
Nice looking car and now with alot of back up

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Mr C

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I quite fancy one of these for my next project though I'll be gong a little off piste with the engine. The car was originally designed by MK sportscars and sold on. It was designed to fit a longditudinal audi 4 cylinder setup as found n early A4's as well as bike engines I'm sure others will fit. 100mm sierria driveshafts and bearing carriers usual brake options that fit the ford mounts and front uprights from the cortina or rally design. There is a couple of good build diaries, the best (imo) is tris's, a warts and all diary, found via the owners club unfortunately it looks like its currently off line. The car is typical of a kit car with parts not quite lining up requiring spacers etc and a bit of creativity. The body is a bit tired as well requiring quite a bit of filling and making good before obtaining a good fit. Personally for the money I can live with its build foibles. Its also very successful on the track doing well in one of the 750 club run series

The above is based on general research via the net and kit car shows therefore it is my own views so please do not take me to task if its not quite factually correct I haven't yet spoken to Paul Nightingale at Spire though Its probably my next step. He is very helpful by all accounts.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

scootz

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. What sort of min/max heights can fit in there?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
How about finishing all your other projects first. Or at least sell them to us cheap

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

zilspeed

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
You have U2U
scootz

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
... or at least sell them to us cheap

I DO sell them to you lot cheap!

PS - anyone want a Z3!

Cheap Scootz Thing

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the Spire GTR started life as the MK (Engineering) GTR successor to the short lived GT1 (I stand to be corrected though).

scootz

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think you're right Nick.

It's Evolution Baby!

chris mason

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
It started life as a car built and designed by Martin Keenan (MK Engineering) originally designed to accept the early Audi engines.
Paul nightingale then took on the project and fitted other engines, including a Renault turbo before settling on the Zx12 as engine of choice.
Since then the car has been completely redesigned from the ground up, new chassis, wishbones, pedal box, brakes etc plus new redesigned bodywork, with iirc wind tunnel tested aero mods. Also iirc the chassis underwent testing and changes to further improve the racing pedigree of the car, at the same time 1000cc bike engines became the engines of choice (cbr1000)
Along the way the car has achieved many good results in the rgb race series.

Well worth considering as an alternative to a 7, the support from Spire is 2nd to none and Paul's a nice friendly chap

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Cheers guys. What sort of min/max heights can fit in there?

I drove the original GTR, that Martin Keenan made with the Audi 1.8 fitted, had a go both on the road and track, loads of room inside, I am 6'3" and 16 stone, a superb car then, it felt a bit special, I regret not placing my order with Martin , they have come on alot over the years with Spire, doing very well in the RGB, but they are not cheap anymore, I would love one, but don't think I could afford to build one now

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Peteff

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Spire is at Stonebroom about 10 minutes away from me. I recognise the name Paul Nightingale as well, Ashover farming family I think. Good local chap, salt of the earth and all that. No use at all to you Scootz just rambling but they were the follow on from the GT1 and that was a nice car.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RK

posted on 26/7/12 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
My wife is very happy Mr. Scootz does not live anywhere near me. I could keep him in business a long time...
scootz

posted on 26/7/12 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
I can arrange shipping to Canada!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 26/7/12 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.

It's Evolution Baby!

richardh

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
What's the z3 spec Scootz?

Time for a change!

Steve Hignett

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
What's the z3 spec Scootz?

It isn't my car, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the spec is something like this...

1999 T.
110k miles.
Silver with Black Leather 'Individual' Interior and Blue Hood.
Heated / Electric Seats.
Cat D.
V5 in my Name.
1 Key.
No Books.

The first pic is of the car after the accident. As you can see it was only panel damage (bumper, bonnet, headlight, nearside door and nearside wing panel), but that little lot would have cost the insurer £4-5k if the car went through an approved BMW body-shop! And that's why it was written-off!

I have since scrapped the bonnet, nearside door, nearside wing and headlights) as they were not repairable.

I have sourced:
Replacement bonnet - It has dents on it as if someone has run across it. Some scores and light creases too. It needs TLC, but is definitely repairable. It will need painted once repaired.
Replacement Door - It has various shallow dents and is easily repairable. It will also need painted after repair.
Replacement Wing Panel. It's straight.

I have also scrapped the tatty 16" wheels that you can see in the first few photo's and replaced them with a set of genuine BMW 18" staggered wheels (see last pic) that came off a one-month old 1-Series. These are pretty much as new (one or two very minor nicks). They have Michelin Pilot Sport 2's all round with 5+ mm's of even tread. These wheels / tyres cost me £550.

I also bought a pair of clear headlights from a Z3M that will come with the car. These cost £190.

The only part left to source is a bumper and some inexpensive fixings.

The car just needs an MOT to go back on the road.

I'm only selling as I have too many projects on the go and I need the space back.

The interior is in good order. Some wear on the bolsters, but nothing ugly.
The hood is in average condition for its age.
The paintwork on the undamaged parts of the car is pretty good.
The engine is a 2.8 (M52TU). It starts and runs without any dramas.

I could deliver the car UK wide at fuel cost (I'm in Edinburgh).

Looking for quick, hassle-free sale, so £1350 (no haggling I'm afraid).

I may consider an older Ducati SS (any engine size), or Yamaha TRX850 with £500 cash going my way.

PistonHeads Essentials •Front-Engined
•Naturally Aspirated
•2.8 Litres
•Inline
•6 Cylinders
•Rear-Wheel-Drive

The Detail •2 Doors
•Convertible
•Manual
•Petrol
•Silver

scootz

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
That's a pretty good guess about the spec Steve!

It's Evolution Baby!

SCAR

posted on 26/7/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
You would be hard pressed to find a more genuine guy than Paul Knightingale. His business is all about a passion for racing and not a search for profit. OK the car build is not well supported by documentation but Paul is always willing to help, he was a perfect choice for our project and we owe him many thanks.
Building the GTR is not difficult we are progressing well with ours. We being me, occasionally a couple of parents and a group of 12 to 17 year olds.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 26/7/12 by SCAR]

T66

posted on 26/7/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Scott your a bad man, your on the hunt again....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ronald.denyer/

scootz

posted on 26/7/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

I have to come clean... it's not for me! It's a mate who's got his eye on one. He reads this site, but doesn't have an account, so asked me if I'd ask the question.

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 26/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
It started life as a car built and designed by Martin Keenan (MK Engineering) originally designed to accept the early Audi engines.
Paul nightingale then took on the project and fitted other engines, including a Renault turbo before settling on the Zx12 as engine of choice.
Since then the car has been completely redesigned from the ground up, new chassis, wishbones, pedal box, brakes etc plus new redesigned bodywork, with iirc wind tunnel tested aero mods. Also iirc the chassis underwent testing and changes to further improve the racing pedigree of the car, at the same time 1000cc bike engines became the engines of choice (cbr1000)
Along the way the car has achieved many good results in the rgb race series.

Well worth considering as an alternative to a 7, the support from Spire is 2nd to none and Paul's a nice friendly chap

I find that really good to know!

austin man

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
The spires seem to handle really well as said prviously the new ones are a complete redesing and boy do they hande weel on the track they always appear to be in contention in the RGB class

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.