Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Uneven tyre wear on my S2000
garyo

posted on 5/3/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Uneven tyre wear on my S2000

Hi Chaps,

My S2000 has some strange tyre wear on the inside edge of the front right (off side) tyre. The other front tyre has no issues, so in my mind it can't be tracking related (the car drives and brakes straight and true) so I *think* it must be a simple case of too much negative camber on that wheel...

I'm no expert though, so thought the wear may be a dead giveaway for someone that knows.... particularly the lip on the extreme outer? I'm broken hearted at having written off a brand new tyre in what feels like only 5000 miles!!

Cheers!

Gary

tyre
tyre

tyrezoom
tyrezoom

[Edited on 5/3/13 by garyo]

mookaloid

posted on 5/3/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would certainly have a 4 wheel alignment check done as soon as the new tyre is fitted or the same will happen again!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 5/3/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
it hasnt had a knock on that side has it nephesw escord did and the bottom hub was bent. it may also be down knackere bushes on the wishbone

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

pmc_3

posted on 5/3/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't negative camber be wear on the inner edge?
Dunbikin

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo looks like negative camber, I had the same on my car.

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

garyo

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - it's the inner edge that has the wear.

I suspect it must have had a knock - the lower wishbone is adjustable but is already on the limit of the direct I'd need it to go in, so I suspect a bent upper wishbone and the previous owner has tried to dial it all out as best they could.... I'll wheel it in to the garage this weekend and measure the camber on both sides to see what's what.

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Feathering (what you call a lip) indicates a toe problem rather than camber issue, normal width radial tyres are pretty tolerant of camber issues.

The feathering rather than plain edge wear is caused by the tyre running with a slip angle pulling the tread sideways.

Simple check over of all the ball joints and bushes band checking the toe accross the axle.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

garyo

posted on 5/3/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm interesting - so that would imply too much toe in on just that one wheel?
bi22le

posted on 5/3/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
Mmm interesting - so that would imply too much toe in on just that one wheel?

which surly you would notice under braking or turning response difference from left to right.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

phelpsa

posted on 5/3/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
You can't have toe in on one wheel, it is measured across the axle.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Got many roundabouts where you live? Ive had this before. It was down to bad camber and too many roundabouts. I would be checking suspension too.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

garyo

posted on 6/3/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You can't have toe in on one wheel, it is measured across the axle.

Indeed, unless there's an opposing problem on the rear axle that means the 'dynamic' toe position means I'm always driving the car with the nearside wheel pointing forwards, and offside wheel with too much toe, and then something at the back of the car causing crabbing. Both rear tyres look perfect, although I've not examined them closely for and fine feathering. I'll take a look tonight.

The car brakes, tracks, and corners beautifully. I'll measure up this weekend and see what I can see.

quote:

Got many roundabouts where you live? Ive had this before. It was down to bad camber and too many roundabouts. I would be checking suspension too.

Strangely it's the off side wheel rather than near side, which would be the usual one to take a beating from roundabouts. I do around 50% of my miles on the motorway though, and don't really hoon it around roundabouts particularly.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by garyo]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I get similar wear on all 4 tyres on my tin top despite two totally independent 4 wheel alignment lol.set of tyres lasts no more than 12k. Could it not be a castor issue?

MakeEverything

posted on 8/3/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo

quote:

Strangely it's the off side wheel rather than near side, which would be the usual one to take a beating from roundabouts. I do around 50% of my miles on the motorway though, and don't really hoon it around roundabouts particularly.

On mine, the outside of the NS tire and inside of the OS Tyre wore when hooning, but the inside OS tyre was definitely worse off.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.