Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 5/4/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Transporter tdi mpg

What sort of mpg could i expect from a 130bhp 1.9tdi t5 transporter with normal driving and towing.
Any tips on other issues these vans have .

tompat3463

posted on 5/4/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
£100 will normally get me around 500 miles of combined driving. Im a builder and usually have around 500kg of gear in the rear so that the closest I can say to pulling a trailer.

What I can add is that the money u may spend extra on fuel compared to a transit or other U will definately save of repairs as it is an absoloutely bullet proof van.. owned my 55 plate which has just clicked 90,000 for 3 years and ov only spent around £150 or unexpected repairs.

O/S strut and a 4 sets of ARB droplinks (coz I put cheap ones on)

to sum up, a really good van. loads of space but a tiny bit heavier on juice than a transit I would say... for god sake dont get the bigger crafter VW van as they are shite !!

cheers Alan

Wadders

posted on 5/4/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
It must have been chipped to make 130bhp, although strangely they seem to get better mpg when chipped.

Common faults on the t5 include: (although not sure if they apply to the 1.9 as much as the 2.5 5 pot)

Clutch DMF rattle
Chewing driveshaft splines
Leaky exhaust manifolds
Water pump failure
ABS pump failure
Turbo hoses blowing off

Saying all that, i think they are great vans

have a sniff round here, i'm sure all your questions will be answered.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147

Al

daniel mason

posted on 5/4/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
we have 4 x transporters on our firm. 3 x 1.9's (one of which is the 130) and a 2.5 5cyl and for some reason my van which is the 2.5 5cyl is miles better on juice.
it may be my lazy driving style,and the fact the other vans (apart from the 130) need a heavier right foot to get anywhere when loaded up.but my van pulls like a train and has been bullet proof apart from a couple of battery and brake pads!
having said that,when towing.my s60 volvo d5 is in a different league in both performance and economy when towing.
i got 450 miles of 45 litres with a brian james clubman and the fury on the back last weekend @circa 70mph
if you need a van the the transporters are good, but the volvo does 90% of what the van does.ant it does it 90% better than the van does

phelpsa

posted on 5/4/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
What sort of mpg could i expect from a 130bhp 1.9tdi t5 transporter with normal driving and towing.
Any tips on other issues these vans have .

They're wrong wheel drive, get a Vito

More seriously, if you haven't considered the Vito they are an excellent van with a much better driving position than the T5 (IMO). I don't know how they compare price wise like-for-like with the T5 or mpg wise however, we went a bit silly and had the 3.0 V6 with 200bhp and get mid 20s towing 1.2 tonnes of box trailer, low 30s without.

[Edited on 5-4-13 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 5/4/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just sold my V70 d5 volvo and currently looking for another but thought the vw t5 would make a good alternative all rounder and would replace my toyota granvia 3ltr td which does circa 22 towing although its faultless and comfy to drive.

[Edited on 5/4/13 by CRAIGR]

daniel mason

posted on 5/4/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
apart from the extra space,id say its a waste of money. the volvos are truly superb

austin man

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.9 remapped to 136bhp I drive quite spirited and get around 32 to the gallon, absolutely fantastic to drive I would not go back to a car. As in prvious posts problems van be driver side drive shaf and stub shaft if not already done its advisable as a minimum to split the shaft and stub shaft and grease it well VW skimped on the grease leading to water ingress and friction. DMFs can be problematic but usualy a higher miles always advisable to do the clutch and DMF. Water pumps are a VW common issue saying that My van had 197k on it with the same pump, replaced the driveshaft at 189k had it mapped at 182k. New engine at 197 k after 2 cam followers went boom.

Had a new head and a reconditioned bottom end had problems ever since I think this is down to the garage though. The earlier vans dont have a DPF these can be a problem if the motor is only used for short journeys.

Get yourself on the forum really helpfull guys on there

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

nick205

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
apart from the extra space,id say its a waste of money. the volvos are truly superb

IMHO unless you actually NEED a van, a decent estate car is hard to beat. Much better place to live on long runs, easier to park, better economy....etc.

That said, I do hanker after a van myself from time to time

Wadders

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Prefer the driving position of a van myself, although more mpg would be welcome.

Couple of pics of my old bus to wet your whistle. Gone now and replaced
with a new one, which is nice, but i miss the grunt of the old 2.5

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 5/4/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote]Originally posted by Wadders
Prefer the driving position of a van myself, although more mpg would be welcome.

Couple of pics of my old bus to wet your whistle. Gone now and replaced
with a new one, which is nice, but i miss the grunt of the old 2.5

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Got to love the look of them though . That is lovely.[

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.