Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Polo popping noise
joneh

posted on 14/7/14 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
VW Polo popping noise

Evening collective fountain of automotive knowledge,

I've recently had the front suspension rear lower bushes replaced both sides on my wife's 2005 1.2 VW Polo as the near side essentially fell out. It was done by a mobile mechanic on my drive.

The problem is now that whenever I either slow down or accelerate I get a loud popping type noise, like metal flexing and popping. ( a giant version of those food safety buttons on jars) At least that's what it sounds like from the inside. It sounds like it's coming from the offside now. I've ruled out brakes as it does it when changing direction using the clutch and don't think it's drive related as it makes the noise with the clutch down. It's as if something pops back when slowing the pops forward when accelerating.

Looking closely I don't think the bushes are in quite straight as the hex shape doesn't align with the hex wishbone end. Could it be this, or could firming these up transfer a problem to the next weak bush?

Your thoughts please!

Jon

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/7/14 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom stabiliser arm loose maybe(connected from crossmember to gearbox)..or loose bolts on the crossmember.

[Edited on 14/7/14 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/7/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Or he didn't tighten them up with the suspension under load (as in wheels on the floor), if you tighten the bolts with the suspension in the air it could cause the bushes to flex unnaturally.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.