Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spark Plug - Thread Repairs
stevebubs

posted on 24/7/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Spark Plug - Thread Repairs

Had a spark plug pop out on me in the tiptop tonight.

Typically - nowhere near home and in a suit; had to call the RAC man.

Wasn't watching too closely, but apparently he couldn't get a new plug to "grip" the threads so had to put the old plug in and advised I would need a helicoil...

Q1: If the old "knackered" plug gripped, why wouldn't the new one? As it's gripped and firmly in place, I'm semi-doubting the need to helicoil...

Q2: It's a durance v6 and an easily accessible plug hole on the front bank. Can the helicoil be fitted without dismantling the head?

Q3: (related to Q2) - anyone idea of approximate costs to get the helicoil fitted?

Cheers

Stephen

[Edited on 24/7/14 by stevebubs]

[Edited on 24/7/14 by stevebubs]

Slimy38

posted on 24/7/14 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Only thing I can think of is if the old plug had cross threaded, and the threads had been damaged in such a way that only the old plug would screw into place. It's a pretty weak thought though. Either way, I suspect it's only a matter of time before it pops out again.

I didn't think you could safely get rid of the swarf from the thread cut without removing the head? If you can remove the head yourself, getting the helicoil won't be very much. Giving a garage the whole car and having them do everything will be more.

stevebubs

posted on 24/7/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I suspect it's only a matter of time before it pops out again.

My suspicions, also - hence the questions...

madteg

posted on 24/7/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a helicoil and problem solved
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/7/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Common practice to helicoil in situ. I recently borrowed a kit to do one on the mx5. That had a clever taper so no need to drill or anything. I sucked the swarkf out using a shultz gun, but turning the engine over with the plug out would probably be OK (or there may be a "proper" method)
DW100

posted on 25/7/14 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
You get a special kit to helicoil in place. Dipping the tap in grease helps trap the swarf on the tap, take the tap out often and clean it. Same with sump plug threads.

There is an element of risk with it, but if it all goes wrong you'll get a piece of swarf stuck on a valve seat end up with a misfire and have to take the head off.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/7/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
or swarf gets jammed between the piston and the bore giving you a nice scratch
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 28/7/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ok. Whipped the offending plug out today and put a new plug in....no idea what the hell the RAC man was trying to do, but the new plug went straight in....suspect he had the wrong plug .... helicoil hopefully avoided...phew...

but now I have a droning noise from the front end....this car doesn't like me this month!!!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=192898

coyoteboy

posted on 31/7/14 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid I have little trust in AA/RAC folk (though I know a very good one) - my default position is trust no-one and figure it out yourself. That way you learn, save cash and generally don't have to deal with other people. Also, carry basic toolkit in boot...

I remember going on holiday each year as a kid with a classic rangerover, a full toolkit inc 1/2 torque wrench, spare rocker bolts and a helicoil kit

[Edited on 31/7/14 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.