Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ever sold your pride and joy and thought that won't last 5 mins?
marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ever sold your pride and joy and thought that won't last 5 mins?

So I've taken a deposit today from a young man on one of my toys a 400bhp Skyline R33 which I've built up over the last couple of years. He's only 25 and the most powerful car he has owned to date has been a Subaru Impreza obviously 4 wheel drive..
To be fair he's paying me exactly what I want (subject to him returning with the balance) but I can't help feeling it may well end up thrashed to death or even worse wrapped around a lamp post in a very short time..

Without trying to be big headed I would be fairly certain the car is up there as one of the cleanest and well specified ones in the UK, I've have had my fair share over the last ten years and I've also seen whats currently for sale.. Now I am obviously a little sad to see it go but I kind of feel I need something more suitable for an over 45's Company Director..

marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
So because you're a certain age and have a certain job title you feel you should be driving a certain car ?

Maybe that didn't come across very well, I need something a bit more suitable for work and visiting customers rather than a Vito van, the BEC and a Clio 182 these all suit a purpose hence why I didn't want to part with any of those.

The Skyline on the other hand is/was getting very little use and been frank there are about 4 other Skyline owners locally all of which lets just say are not helping improve the Image of owning one in a small town...

theduck

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
What would concern be is how on earth a 25 year old intends to properly insure a 400bhp skyline!
marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
What would concern be is how on earth a 25 year old intends to properly insure a 400bhp skyline!

Agreed and will all the modifications be declared, on top of the fact he's paying 8K cash for it to start with and now knowing what he does for a living he's either a good lad and saves his money up which is very likely or he's had a little win on something. Either way that's not really my concern.

I think because I've put many many hours of work into it then I'm just a little attached, hence why having a little share on here where no doubt people have felt the same about there kit cars when selling...

Daf

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know exactly what you mean - I had an E30 3 series that I'd spent thousands on, converted it to a 24 valve 3 litre and done pretty much everything to, it was clean enough underneath to eat your lunch off. It was my baby! When I sold it 4 hours later I had a phone call from the buyer asking if I had a spare sump, rack and suspension bits as he'd had a coming together with a rock
CosKev3

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt very much he's a 'good lad', more than likely deals in certain things that gets him a lot of cash he can't bank.......
marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I know exactly what you mean - I had an E30 3 series that I'd spent thousands on, converted it to a 24 valve 3 litre and done pretty much everything to, it was clean enough underneath to eat your lunch off. It was my baby! When I sold it 4 hours later I had a phone call from the buyer asking if I had a spare sump, rack and suspension bits as he'd had a coming together with a rock

That is exactly what I mean and you appreciate what I am saying, there is a point where there not just a piece of metal anymore

Mark100

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I made the mistake of selling my m3 to a mate then had to watch him slowly over 4 or 5 month knock it to pieces
he took me to the sandwich shop from work one dinner time and as he went over the speed bump at 60mph I had the strangest urge to punch him in the face 6 months after I sold it to him he had a go about the lemon id sold him blah blah blah
We ain't friends now and he don't look as pritty as he use to so take lots of pics to remember it you may need them

craig1410

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel - I had a Mini 1275GT when I was just 15 years old. My Dad bought it for £125 and sold the numberplate (JMS 9S) for £750 and gave the car to me for me to tinker with and drive on private farm roads until I was 17 and could drive on the public roads. This car was a basket case when I got it with wiring twisted together and taped and hydraulic lines kinked and burning more oil than petrol etc. I spent many hours fixing it up and eventually it was MOT'd and ready for my 17th birthday when my Dad and I went out for my first drive at about 12:04am.

I kept the car for around 5 years and continued to work on it by respraying it, space-framing the front end, fitting the MG Metro Turbo engine, lowering it, etc etc. Lots of great times in the car and more than a few scary moments!

In the end I sold it for £550 to a young lad who promised to look after it but alas I found out 2 weeks later that he had written it off on a local B road...

That all said, you've got to set your price and when that price is paid, the car is no longer yours and you've got to just go with the flow. Either that or don't sell it. I've got a similar dilemma with my Locost. I'm just not using it enough to justify keeping it registered for the road but at the same time I can't really bear the thought of selling it.

tegwin

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Appreciate its your pride and joy but not all youths are the same... I've had a tvr chim at 25... I didn't thrash it and took great care of it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Appreciate its your pride and joy but not all youths are the same... I've had a tvr chim at 25... I didn't thrash it and took great care of it....

I agree, I was similar in fact I've pretty much cherished every vehicle I've owned. He may turn out similar if he values hard earned money and material things so I mustn't really pre-judge based on a 1 hour meeting with a stranger....

coozer

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you get what you want for it why be so bothered??

If he comes back with the money jsut say thanks good luck and forget about it.

If your that bothered why sell it??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Andi

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the guys dream car. Might have saved a bit and had a bit of a loan too.
I know I did when I got my first "dream car" when I was a nipper.

Andi

bi22le

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately i am at the other end.

I still feel guilty and sorry for smashing my old BEC to bits. I think i only had it four weeks.

I remember phoning the seller to tell him being courteous. I felt awful.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

marco

posted on 9/5/15 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
If you get what you want for it why be so bothered?? Having asked the question in the first place then you wouldn't understand the answer Coozer..

If your that bothered why sell it??
I've already explained that one ^^

mk85

posted on 10/5/15 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
I decided to sell my mr2 turbo years ago. The guy turned up an I went over everything I could and could tell he wasn't interested in what I had to say. So I skipped all the crap and told him to sit in the passenger seat and took him for a spin on the high boost setting.

The car was extremely quick just shy of 400bhp. But it had all the best and right bits. So he handed over the cash and we signed paper work ect. We go out to the car and he asked how to turn the boost up. I told him I wouldn't do that as it's all been mapped and set up so it runs sweet. Again I told him it won't really make a difference as it's quick enough.

Roughly 30mins after he left my phone rang and it was the buyer. He said there seams to be problem with the car. I asked what's up and he said well I've turned the boost up on the boost controller and then after a few miles it started to smoke and started making a massive banging noise from the engine and now it's seized up.

He then politely said "if you just wana meet me whers i am broken down on the motor way and bring my money you can have the car back" I said you best call the A A and he hung up.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/5/15 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I can see your very attached to the car so perhaps you shouldn't sell it as for the 25 year old and how he gets his money if he's got a decent job and maybe lives with his parents he's proberly got more money than most of us . a friend of my sons a carpenter 25 years old just buying a house with his girlfriend and has just bought a Audi rs4 so who knows these days ....
gingerprince

posted on 10/5/15 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I sold my TVR Griffith in 2006 having spent thousands having the engine and other bits sorted. I periodically check the status of it and it's been SORN since 2007
Slimy38

posted on 10/5/15 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I had the opposite. My last car was my pride and joy, but sadly I'd given it a few too many bumps and scrapes. Then the company car arrived so it unfortunately had to go. The buyer didn't have much money so we really had to bring the price down, but on the test drive I could tell he was going to look after it. Even walking round the car he wasn't using the damage to reduce the price, he was saying 'I can fix that by xyz, and that will clean that up'. So I am quite hopeful that it's going to it's second loving owner.
DazBam

posted on 10/5/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I had this on 2 occasions, Iv owned several Evo's and when I sold my 7 a week later the guy had not only smashed it but got a speeding ticket just before impact doing 67 in a 30!! I couldn't help but get wound up by it!! The second my by far my biggest regret selling my forged evo 8, the guy paid me and got in the car without even going out in it, I felt sick watching him drive off but to get out my estate there was a big speed bump and he ragged it over, ripped front bumper, intercooler, rad and smashed the turbo and manifold! He had the audacity to ask me to buy it back after!!!!!!!!
morcus

posted on 10/5/15 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer not to know what happens to my cars after selling them but I've pretty much had the opposite. I sold my MX5 to a guy who said he was going to do it up and seemed really like he knew his stuff. The weirdest one for me though was I recently did a reg check on a car I sold to a dealership for £80 (An N reg Vectra 2.5 CDX) That I thought was beyond economic repair as it needed a lot doing and a pristine one would only be worth £1K on the very best of day, turned out it had been retaxed and re MOTed. I really liked that car, even if it had no rear brakes for the first few months of ownership and would cut out when it warmed up for the last few.

Absolute worst is if you trade in your car then see it for sale, My panda was advertised for about £500 less than I paid new for it 3 years earlier when I saw it on a forecourt.

Best bet is to never know.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

marco

posted on 10/5/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Some interesting stories, so what the best way to be polite and say "as soon as you've left my drive it's now all yours, basically I don't want ringing, texting or there to be your technical support in the future"
DazBam

posted on 10/5/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure there is! I picked up a few bits for people in the car sales side of things and one thing people do is write up a contract type letter signed by both parties and it states vehicle is sold as seen, sold as seen meaning that there is no responsibility on the sellers behalf once sale is completed and that the sale is complete once these terms and conditions are signed for. Some people think that a sale is only completed when a V5 is relieved in their name from the DVLA!!
Slimy38

posted on 10/5/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Some useful tips here (as well as a printable contract);

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_sellerscontract.html

A copy of this form even served it's purpose when I got a parking fine demand during the time the DVLA were dragging their heels with the V5. I sent them the signed form and they went away.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.