Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mobile Phone Meta Data Warning
DJT

posted on 18/11/15 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mobile Phone Meta Data Warning

Hi all,

I'm sure most are aware anyway. By default your mobile phone camera GPS tagging is probably switched on. This meta data (location) is then embedded in the image file. After posting your picture online it is not too difficult for anybody to extract the location. I won't be more specific.

Cheers.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

loggyboy

posted on 18/11/15 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I always do a save as on the JPG and this info is lost (Although I think some fancy image editors have the function on too)

Mistral Motorsport

chillis

posted on 18/11/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
so how do you turn it off?

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

snapper

posted on 18/11/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Photoshop can find metadata in JPEG
Any Apple Mac can look at Metadata
There are different types of metadata and I have found deep level stuff not apparent in Photoshop just using file info

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 18/11/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
agreed jpgs have exif info for sure.

to prevent, you will need to go into the settings of your camera, of the settings of the camera app and turn location/gps/geotagging off.

If on a phone ./ tablet you can go to the general settings and turn off location services.

Personally I leave it on, handy to know where the photo was taken. Depends on what you are taking and if you share it straight away.

Not so great if you take a photo on hols, with all the family and share it publicly.. people then know you are and all away from home.

jossey

posted on 18/11/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Easy way. On iPhone especially. Open the image from the camera.... Make it full page on the screen. Take screen shot.... All data gone.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 18/11/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an app somewhere that lets you embed and encrypt any information you want within a JPEG file... Such as a txt file, or word document.
ste

posted on 18/11/15 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Google photos has a check box to disable location data when you link to a photo
coyoteboy

posted on 19/11/15 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Easy way. On iPhone especially. Open the image from the camera.... Make it full page on the screen. Take screen shot.... All data gone.

All resolution gone too!

Irony

posted on 19/11/15 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
Don't post images online would be my standard answer. However I have put build pics on here. I thought the LCB photo archive were resized by the server anyway?
steve m

posted on 19/11/15 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
I may of got the wrong message here, but what is the problem of having any pics, that may have locations attached ?
as the only reason i can think of anyone getting upset, or being cautous, would be if they were taking pictures of a dodgy subject
or minors, when they shouldnt be, or being at a place they shouldnt be, ie an affair

None of my pictures from my phone would cause me anything to worry about,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

joneh

posted on 19/11/15 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I may of got the wrong message here, but what is the problem of having any pics, that may have locations attached ?
as the only reason i can think of anyone getting upset, or being cautous, would be if they were taking pictures of a dodgy subject
or minors, when they shouldnt be, or being at a place they shouldnt be, ie an affair

steve

One example could be a photo of an adopted child containing meta data.

daviep

posted on 19/11/15 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's funny how people worry about different things, I presumed that the danger was pictures of garages full of shiny tools and cars being an attraction to thieves.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

SJ

posted on 19/11/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

steve

I was thinking the same.

There doesn't appear to be any location data stored in the pics from my Galaxy S5 anyway. At least not in the photo properties.

Stu

DJT

posted on 19/11/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I was only thinking about shiny tools and cars in garages that can be located easily via Google Maps. You wouldn't think about appending your post code to your signature line.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

gremlin1234

posted on 19/11/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
in windows, if you right click on a jpg file, and select properties, then details, it will show you the exif information.
at the bottom of this page is an option
remove properties and personal information
metadata
metadata

ps this data is taken from a met police helicopter photo for their 100,000th tweet followers
edit bold

[Edited on 20/11/15 by gremlin1234]

yngndrw

posted on 20/11/15 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Here's an online viewer you can use to check. You can either upload an image from your computer to check against the URL of an image which has already been uploaded:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Here's the results from a test image URL to see the sorts of information available:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.placeblaze.com%2Fgoogle_map_photo%2Fasfalt.jpg

(It's worth noting that the GPS locations in Google Maps are slightly off)

[Edited on 20/11/15 by yngndrw]

[Edited on 20/11/15 by yngndrw]

coyoteboy

posted on 20/11/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
YEah, garage full of bikes/tools/car/anything plus precise location details is not the brightest idea.

craig1410

posted on 21/11/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Privacy control is a major feature of iOS and if you don't want geo-tagging of photos (or any other app) you can control it centrally as shown in this article:

http://forums.imore.com/guides-how-articles/271636-guide-how-enable-disable-geotagging.html

Most Apple applications on the iPhone/iPad and Mac will remove the geo-tagging by default when you export photos to public services such as flickr or when emailing etc. You have to explicitly turn the geo-tagging back on if you want to override this.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.