Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax Exempt kit
loggyboy

posted on 19/5/16 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Tax Exempt kit

Didnt think this was possible?
SVAd and soon to be tax exempt?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/classic-mini-based-ncf-blitz-2-road-legal-onoff-road-buggy-kitcar/1169820671

Mistral Motorsport

hizzi

posted on 20/5/16 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
he says it was put through sva 13 years ago therefore means its a 13yr old car . not going to be tax exempt, but some mug will buy it.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/5/16 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
First registered in 1977 so might have got away with it.

NCF Blitz 1340cc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Oddified

posted on 20/5/16 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
First registered in 1977 so might have got away with it.

NCF Blitz 1340cc

And kept the original reg, so it probably will be.

In the big scheme of motoring costs, the road tax isn't a lot but i'm sure it's a nice bonus. This year should be the last time i have to pay for it on my Kitten (only missed it this year by a few months...)

Ian

nick205

posted on 20/5/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO road tax on kit cars, which tend to do low miles / year is simply an un-needed cost that is a perfect example of where the cost should be on the fuel and not a separate tax. Just my view by the way and I'm sure there are those that won't agree with me.

owelly

posted on 20/5/16 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
NCF wasn't created as a company until 1984 so it'll be hard to argue that the car is any older.....plenty of folks are using kit cars with a VED exempt V5 and eventually the DVLA will reign them in and the owners may find themselves looking at tax avoidance and/or paying the back-duty.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
IMHO road tax on kit cars, which tend to do low miles / year is simply an un-needed cost that is a perfect example of where the cost should be on the fuel and not a separate tax. Just my view by the way and I'm sure there are those that won't agree with me.

Agree with this totally.

The old excuse used to be that the tax disc was some degree of visual confirmation that the car was recently MOT'd, since you couldn't tax it without a valid MOT certificate, but that's redundant these days, with computers and number plate recognition.

But perhaps they're looking forward to the days when we're all electric, and they won't be able to distinguish car charging from domestic electricity use?

rash12

posted on 20/5/16 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
what if a kit is pre sva/iva and on an original reg not a q plate with correct docs etc ? cant see why it wouldnt be ?
morcus

posted on 20/5/16 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess if you had a pre SVA kit it would legally still be the car it was but surely if that car in the ad went through an SVA it doesn't have the original registration and instead has an aged related plate and therefore would count as a 13 year old car for this purpose, how it actually works out in reality could be completely different though.

My preferred free online reg checker gives the date of first use as 77 so it probably will get the exemption but like Owelly mentioned, any investigation into this issue (Not just this car but the many, many, many, 80's, 90's and 00's kit cars with 70's registrations) would surely rule in favour of them not counting as exempt.

I would like to highlight that I don't think the seller is doing anything wrong as the v5 probably does say 1977 and mentioning that will probably attract buyers (Even though the actual saving is probably insignificant compared to the other cost involved)

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Oddified

posted on 21/5/16 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I think for the dvla to have an official checking every tax exempt car for loop holes would cost more than the revenue clawed back from such an insignificant minority of vehicles. Kit cars are a tiny percentage of vehicles on the road, even less of those will have an original reg older than when the kit was actually made and still being used on the road. I don't see the dvla putting the man power into finding that one grain of sand on Blackpool Beach...

Catching people using 'regular' cars with no road tax (or insurance) is a much bigger problem and there's loads of those to find!.

Ian

Neville Jones

posted on 21/5/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I rego'd a few cars before SVA appeared, and it's fairly easy to see that the car in question could have easily scored enough points to retain the Mini identity. It would have been listed as rebodied, but retained the steering, engine, drive train, suspension, and subframes.

So, plenty there to keep the donor identity.

Some of us have been around long enough to remember when you only needed an MOT and chassis number, to apply for a number plate and tax.

Cheers,
Nev.

rash12

posted on 21/5/16 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
well said nev

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.