Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harewood soapbox races
StevieB

posted on 22/5/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Harewood soapbox races

I took the family along to the soapbox races at Harewood today and thoroughly enjoyed it - a great mix of contraptions from thongs nailed together last week to carts that are the ongoing result of obsession.

It got me thinking that it would be good to have a crack at some point, but am struggling to find details of any series or forums where the various meetings are discussed. There's obviously a hardcore of (very) devoted gravity racers out there (and the guys on the bikes won the day for me in terms of daftness) - does anyone know anything more about the sport and how/where/when it happens?

Sam_68

posted on 22/5/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
... am struggling to find details of any series or forums where the various meetings are discussed.

Google works for me.

List of events & forum

David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I took the family along to the soapbox races at Harewood today and thoroughly enjoyed it - a great mix of contraptions from thongs nailed together last week to carts that are the ongoing result of obsession.

"Thongs nailed together" conjures up a wonderful picture - whether you're British or Australian! (in Oz thongs are flip-flop sandals!)

StevieB

posted on 22/5/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

"Thongs nailed together" conjures up a wonderful picture - whether you're British or Australian! (in Oz thongs are flip-flop sandals!)

I realise my typo. However, considering some of the contraptions, I stand by the words (in both uk and oz senses).

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 23/5/16 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Building a soapbox at the moment, excuse the mess:

My company run a charity soapbox event (its in a few weeks time) and this year its me and my MD against each other. Above is my effort built from the remnants of a n old off road buggy chassis and a couple of BMX bikes.

Loads if info out there, but it depends whether you want to take it seriously or not.

[Edited on 23/5/16 by Norfolkluegojnr]

rupes

posted on 23/5/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I was one of the gravity bike racers (wiped out in the lead in race 2!) - have a look at Scottish Cartie association website - lots of info on events on there - as for a build - follow your nose, fill up your bank account (it all adds up!) and surf well known auction sites regularly - my cart was the three wheeler that collapsed on the second turn (the GOAT) - hence me jumping on a borrowed gravity bike and attempting to obtain some injuries on 2 wheels instead) so I cant offer any practical advice on a successful build.

Have fun!! -we found the "serious" guys really welcoming for our "shed in a few weeks" type effort - all there to have fun.

StevieB

posted on 23/5/16 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rupes
I was one of the gravity bike racers (wiped out in the lead in race 2!) - have a look at Scottish Cartie association website - lots of info on events on there - as for a build - follow your nose, fill up your bank account (it all adds up!) and surf well known auction sites regularly - my cart was the three wheeler that collapsed on the second turn (the GOAT) - hence me jumping on a borrowed gravity bike and attempting to obtain some injuries on 2 wheels instead) so I cant offer any practical advice on a successful build.

Have fun!! -we found the "serious" guys really welcoming for our "shed in a few weeks" type effort - all there to have fun.

That happened right in front of me!

I had a chat with a few guys in the paddock and all were open and friendly, though some clearly in the grips of obsession!

I want to have a decent crack - not too serious though would like to turn up with something at least worth a run. My two boys want to give it a go as a team which is the main driver, and I can learn a thing or ten I reckon about carrying speed in the eternal preparation to go hillclimbing (been saying it got 10 years do better get on!).

LBMEFM

posted on 23/5/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
" a great mix of contraptions from thongs nailed together "

Ouch, hope they weren't wearing them at the time.

AndyAsh

posted on 25/5/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I was one of the "Serious" drivers at the weekend.....and it was fantastic to meet the teams for whom this was there very first event.......
All I can say is ...Go for it !! ... Build it.......Race it.
There are plenty of events out there. Some more serious than others... But all will be great fun.

StevieB

posted on 25/5/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyAsh
I was one of the "Serious" drivers at the weekend.....and it was fantastic to meet the teams for whom this was there very first event.......
All I can say is ...Go for it !! ... Build it.......Race it.
There are plenty of events out there. Some more serious than others... But all will be great fun.

Well, my boys have convinced me that we should given it a go as a family. So we will.

Basically I'm going to start by making a pointy coffin from ply and work it out from there

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.