Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suzuki making me go bald
omega 24 v6

posted on 10/2/23 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Suzuki making me go bald

Good morning everyone. I'm looking for ideas or pointers on a problem that's making me tear my hair out.
My daughters suzuzki vitara 65 plate 1.6 diesel allgrip keeps throwing a maf fault code and goes into limp mode
A stop start resets it untill next time but it's always the same fault code pointing to the maf.
I've bought and fitted a brand new genuine suzuki/bosch part and it's still throwing the same and going into limpmode. There's no set pattern to it I.e.. speeding up or slowing down it can happen at any time.
I've got the car for the weekend and we have a delphi diagnostic unit at our disposal but what else or where else might the issue be?
Thanks in advance people.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/2/23 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm. Interesting.

Enough of a downstream air leak that the ecu figures the measured volume doesn't match the engine speed and throttle positioning?
Wiring failure.
Sticking EGR doing the same as an air leak?
Datalog the air flow rate parameters while driving about and see if there's any obvious drops.

nick205

posted on 10/2/23 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring/connector failure (unlikely on a 65 plate and often a pain to trace)
Air leak (again can be a pain to trace, but sometimes a relatively cheap/quick fix)

Any Suzuki car owners groups or forums to call on for advice?

Any other manufacturers using the same Suzuki engines in their cars?

omega 24 v6

posted on 10/2/23 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys she does report a whooshing noise which I cannot hear. I intend to do a full hose check over the weekend but interestingly was suspecting a vacuum leak coyoteboy?? A pressure leak would be easier to find though unless it's only on boost.
Wiring looks OK to me so far. Could it be a map sensor issue throwing a maf fault do you think. Map sensor is relatively cheap at 30 quid.
Keep the ideas coming as more heads are better than 1.

Another thought us she thinks the brake pedal travel has changed(gone longer) but it has had new discs pads and pipes in the last6 months. Could there be a connection?

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/23 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I d have thought any new whooshing noise would indicate a leak upstream of the turbo.

I use one of these cars about twice a week to work (petrol) and tbh I much prefer my 18 year old Fiesta, as the Suzuki just beeps all the time at anything at all and the engine sounds like a bag of nails when rev'd.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 10/2/23 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pedal travel could obv be a vacuum leak on the brake servo. Vacuum leaks could well do it, though I admit my brain was thinking more like a boost leak or a split pipe between the tubby and the maf. Certainly the map might cause it in theory but don't do a parts cannon unless you don't have time to investigate. Obd reader should output your sensor graphs and any really obvious discrepancy would be nice. When the maf fails, what's the actual code - there's a few it could give I think

omega 24 v6

posted on 10/2/23 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Coyoteboy I've got into it a bit tonight and so far found nothing
hose from airbag to hard pipe is new. Hard plastic pipe fine,hose from hard pipe to turbo intake fine, turbo to intercooler and intercooler to throttle body are difficult to see but look fine could be damaged out of sight. Map sensor removed and cleaned it was sooty , but dry sooty.
Toying with removing the egr valve but it's a bitch to get at and I'm concerned it's in the water jacket (would it be? Why would it be.)
Waiting for code reader diagnostic machine to get back with my son when he gets home.
Could the intercooler be burst or porous and how would I check that? Block hose ends and blow into it?
Thanks so far for everyone's input.

omega 24 v6

posted on 10/2/23 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Code was P010F

obfripper

posted on 10/2/23 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
The code means the airflow sensor is reading, but not as expected for.the operation conditions.

With the whooshing sound described, i would test all the intercooler joints, and the intercooler itself under pressure, as an air leak here will definately trigger the code you have. Also check the inlet manifold in the same way as it's plastic and can crack, note there are few breather pipes on the manifold that can split and leak as well.

Beyond this, I've not dealt with this engine in a vitara, but it is a fiat 1.6 multijet, and they can give egr issues when in a fiat, with both the valve failing, and the cooler getting clagged up with carbon.

There is also the possiblity on this age that you have both low pressure and high pressure egr, with the lp egr being fed from the outlet of the dpf, and the hp egr being fed from the exhaust manifold pre turbo.
If there has been any soot getting through the dpf it can play havoc with the lp egr circuit, as it is designed to operate with clean post dpf gases only. This is easy to spot by running your finger around the inside of the tailpipe, any soot means the dpf is not operating correctly.
I wohld expect more codes than you have for this to be an issue though.

Dave

adithorp

posted on 11/2/23 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
As Dave says.
When you look for intercooler and pipe leaks any locally oily/dirty patches are often the giveaway for a leak.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/2/23 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well thanks for the help guys. I heard the whooshing noise myself today without needing my hearing aids. Found an oily seep under the front bumper.
Stripped the bumper grill etc off and found a 2 inch split in the intercooler. Hopefully that's the issue found.

nick205

posted on 11/2/23 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a likely culprit.
adithorp

posted on 12/2/23 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
...Found an oily seep under the front bumper.
Stripped the bumper grill etc off and found a 2 inch split in the intercooler. Hopefully that's the issue found.

It's often easier to get your hands/fingers down around the hoses and intercooler and feel for the oil/evidence than visually inspect.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

James

posted on 16/2/23 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Well thanks for the help guys. I heard the whooshing noise myself today without needing my hearing aids. Found an oily seep under the front bumper.

So... we're quite giddy with anticipation... did that fix it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/2/23 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
New Intercooler fitted last night and took it for a blast. First impressions are that it's OK now but time will tell I'm sure.
Thanks again guys. I've been away from this site for too long and forgot the wealth of knowledge and speed of answers. Faith restored for a while.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.