New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petition against the banning of petrol and diesel
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/4/23 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

I also don't understand why tidal power is not utilised.

Salt water is incredibly corrosive, it's a hostile environment for maintenance workers, the sea is unforgiving and will, eventually, win against humans.

I am not a marine engineer or whatever, but anecdotally we have been using prop powered ships for over 100 years. A simple prop connected to a generator is no different. As for maintenance, I can see no reason why prop modules cannot be pulled up out of the sea for maintenance. The whole point is that it is all simple technology, or could be. Rather easier than nuclear.

Circular lagoons offshore, generate electricity as the tide comes in and goes out, the only dead time is at absolute high and at some point around low tide, but that will only be short periods and predictable. As for environmental concerns, unless we are prepared to reduce energy consumption (as if) we are going to have to make some sacrifices. But worth considering many human structures in the sea provide homes for many species.

Simon

posted on 3/4/23 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
One major gripe I have with renewables is that instead of putting solar panels on industrial rooves, they are covering perfectly good farmland making it useless for crops .......

I wrote our MP (Greg Clark) when he was sec for energy etc

There were plans to build a solar farm on a nature reserve in north Kent that was a square mile.

I suggested the pv's could be put beside roads and central reservations but got some shite response.

Benzine

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I suggested the pv's could be put beside roads and central reservations but got some shite response.

A reply about how they'd get covered in shite?

I know a farmer just over the border in Lincs who regularly takes her sheep to a solar farm for grazing. Nice mutual setup there.

[Edited on 3-4-2023 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Keep hearing the diesels are dirty but never seen the number people who died early after working in a bus garage all their lives....

I worked in a bus garage for 31 years when I went to work there in a morning you could not see your hand in front of you with black smoke the building had massive big fans in the roof
31years later no smoke at all except the old vintage buses they had
And yes I did have friends pass before they should have that worked there

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
How do these mupets thick EV's are clean?

It's not just the fuel / energy that drives it, you need to see the whole picture.

jacko

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
When I built my MK Indy 2004 there was a Dutch person building a mk Indy but it was going to be electric powered and there was a video on utube in them days I was at mk when they came to collect the kit
Graham

jacko

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush

It's not just the fuel / energy that drives it, you need to see the whole picture.

Well this muppet is just looking for one at the moment not sure witch one yet &#128526;

Benzine

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote

Inb4 omg lithium. Actually that was mentioned in the petition. Seriously though, please can someone explain to me how people who have never had the slightest concern for ICE production are suddenly aghast at lithium & cobalt (also used in ice and fuel production)

Simon

posted on 3/4/23 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

Inb4 omg lithium.

But it's the price, as mentioned lithium has gone up over 1000% in three years - what's it gonna do when lots of people buy evs. There's 12m tonnes of lithium and it's going to make cars impossible to afford (yes, there's more in the ocean but that's be expensive to extract). And you can't honestly say that £40,000 for a Fiat 500 is value - nor the fact it'll be worthless out of warranty.

Hydrogen might not be the way, but ev's definitely aren't it either.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/23 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
This muppet has 2 EVs - mine and my wife's.

Mostly I drive mine because they're really nice to drive. Also on sunny days I can recharge via solar, otherwise I charge overnight on Octopus Go cheap rate (currently 5p a unit, will soon be 12p at next renewal - still cheaper than the day rate). Other factors are reliability (hardly any moving parts), cheaper maintenance, brake pads that can last 100k miles (they hardly get used during normal driving). and so on.

As for lithium and cobalt - the latest batteries hardly use cobalt, and they're working to eliminate it totally. The manufacturers are now looking at replacing lithium with sodium - they have already made these, and they work, but they don't have the energy density of lithium ones. They're working on that...

Simon

posted on 3/4/23 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had a deposit on a Model 3 before they were released but the budget version never arrived.... No such thing as a budget EV
Benzine

posted on 4/4/23 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

But it's the price, as mentioned lithium has gone up over 1000% in three years - what's it gonna do when lots of people buy evs. There's 12m tonnes of lithium and it's going to make cars impossible to afford (yes, there's more in the ocean but that's be expensive to extract). And you can't honestly say that £40,000 for a Fiat 500 is value - nor the fact it'll be worthless out of warranty.

Hydrogen might not be the way, but ev's definitely aren't it either.

Yes I agree with you there, EV prices are too damn high! I've been an EV fan for years and still don't have one. I do have a Vectrix bike which I'm making into a single seater reverse trike, it's the only way I could afford an EV!

All the posts complaining about lithium I've seen have been about mining and environmental concerns (often posted with false claims and even giant coal mining machine photos that people claim is lithium related). That was my focus on the meme I posted.

Re: hydrogen and EVs not being the way... they literally are, I mean they are now, it's happened and is happening. Hydrogen is a dead duck, refill station closed recently in London and there were only a handful to start with. Hydrogen will definitely have and does have it's uses though in some forms of transport and power/heating. Lots of projects on the Scottish Islands spring to mind.

russbost

posted on 4/4/23 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Re EV's "nor the fact it'll be worthless out of warranty"

Right so a Nissan Leaf which is pretty knackered & has only around 65% battery left & will (if you're lucky) do around 80 miles on a full charge would clearly be worth about tuppence, right? Ummm, actually very hard to find a vaguely tidy Leaf for much under £5 - 6k, the batteries alone, sold on for home solar storage are worth between £2 - £3k, which also extends the life to re4cycling by probably 10 - 15 years!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Toys2

posted on 4/4/23 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Another “muppet” ev owner here

A couple of comments to throw into the mix

There’s a report from Volvo that’s worth reading, in summary EV’s obviously do have a greater impact on the environment during manufacturing, they become equal to ICE vehicles at approx 45k miles in Europe, after that they are more environmental compared to similar ICE vehicles. It’s estimated that over the total lifespan, the EV will produce 17 tonnes less CO2 than its equivalent ICE. These figures include materials, manufacturing, fuel, scrappage and recycling

Talk about 2nd hand value surprises me with the lack of facts, today’s batteries are estimated to last 300-500K miles, we’ll see if that’s true, I can believe it… if a Leaf with its small battery can do 120k miles, my battery that’s 3 times the size, better chemistry, water cooled and better battery management, should easily last 3x longer
Battery state of health is easily measured, in that respect it’s easier to asses the health of an EV than an ICE engine
There will be a booming industry of replacement and refurbished batteries as well as recycling

On the subject of cost, I traded in my 7 year old diesel, used that as the deposit on a PCP, my monthlies are £225, which is about the same as my fuel savings. So a new higher spec car with warranty for the same money as an old diesel that was starting to cost money in repairs

russbost

posted on 4/4/23 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

Well this muppet is just looking for one at the moment not sure witch one yet &#128526;

From an existing Muppet EV owner, I have a 64kW Kona & in the medium budget range I felt the only cars worth looking at were the Kona & the ID3, anything else has crap range. I get the advertised 300 miles on a full charge in the summer months & around 220-230 in winter months running the heater etc. if you had the heat exchanger (around £900 IIRC) that would extend the winter range to probably only 10% lower than the summer. I was paying £3.40 for a full charge, that's now doubled on the new tarif to £6.40, but you ain't gonna get 250 miles on £6.40 in anything other than an EV - however you sure as hell don't want to be charging much away from home, the worst I've seen was 86p a unnit IIRC, compared with the 10p I'm paying that's really not a bargain!

In terms of looks & practicality I thought the MG estate was incredible value, but starts out with only around 224 mile range - not far enough for my journeys in anything other than middle of summer .....

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jacko

posted on 4/4/23 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
tfl tested hydrogen buses in north london about 10 years ago, but they had too much difficulty with hills (1 in 15 in places) but we now (and for the last 3 years!) have battery electric buses.

This is quite funny as we had 10 electric buses and converted all of them to diesel engine buses
When electric there was never all 10 on the road at the same time there was always 1 or 2 off with electric problems
And the cost was phenomenal on parts and batteries
Graham

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/23 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The thing is the whole picture is well mapped out. This argument is done to death. Production energy use and unpleasant chemical use are well accounted for. And that's with first generation cars, it will only get better. You ever dig into the details of what's used for fossil fuel extraction, separation, plastics production in any vehicle?

I don't have one because it doesn't fit my use case and they're too expensive. If I had a general job and wanted to buy a car on finance, I might.

[Edited on 4/4/23 by coyoteboy]

SteveWalker

posted on 4/4/23 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
We've recently got an EV (an MG4), which we are very pleased with. However, we got it with the limitations in mind. It'll be great for most of our journeys and will virtually always be charged at home. However, we also have a petrol car, which will now be little used, but at least it is available instantly, regardless of fuel level, can drive longer distances, with little or no stopping, tow, carry stuff on roof-bars, etc.

Basically, the EV will cover more than 95% of our journeys, but is not up to towing a caravan, carrying a roof box (with 5 of us and a mobility scooter, there is no space for anything in the car if we go away for a week) and cannot do (as we have done twice with the petrol car), arriving home from work in the evening, finding a message that a relative died in the night and that the funeral is at 11:00 tomorrow and being able to make it.

Too late by the time we could get organised and get the kids to my parents, to fly that night; first flight in the morning too late to pick up a hire car and get to the funeral; so having to drive.

From Manchester to Holyhead; Dublin to Sligo, arriving with 15 minutes to spare; leave the church service to go to the cemetery; leave that service to go to a family meal; leave the meal to drive to Belfast; drive from Stranraer to Manchester, picking the kids up on the way home.

No way to fit in charging and no chance of getting there without. The petrol car did it with two 10 minute stops for fuel, toilet and driver change and no waiting for a pump to come free. With the tight time schedule, if we'd only had an EV, we couldn't even have afforded the time needed to pick up a hire car to enable the long drive.

In the past, on holiday with four people, all insured to drive the car, we have done Manchester to Nottingham, to Dover; Calais to Frankfurt. Overnighted there and carried on to Salzburg the next day. With the need for EV charging, we'd have lost at least another night each way, making a one week trip a waste of time.

The EV is great, but currently, only with the back up of a petrol or diesel car to cover the few bits that it can't do.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/23 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
ahh I call total BS on all you haters, stop pretending and just get an EV, we know you really want one

Just go Bruuumm Bruumm if you still like engine noises! although I like the Batmobile noise they make

I have an work colleague who bitches all the time about EV's blah blah blah but when to get to the reason it's just because he parks on a street and can't charge it lol

SJ

posted on 5/4/23 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Keep hearing the diesels are dirty but never seen the number people who died early after working in a bus garage all their lives....

I used to work down the pit. We had diesel locos underground. There was ventilation but it was still pretty enclosed.

SJ

posted on 5/4/23 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
ahh I call total BS on all you haters, stop pretending and just get an EV, we know you really want one

Just go Bruuumm Bruumm if you still like engine noises! although I like the Batmobile noise they make

I have an work colleague who bitches all the time about EV's blah blah blah but when to get to the reason it's just because he parks on a street and can't charge it lol

If I wanted one I'd buy one. Charging would be no problem, but I really don't like them. Once charging is under 10 mins though then a different matter.

[Edited on 5/4/23 by SJ]

roadrunner

posted on 5/4/23 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a passenger ride in my first EV.
Tesla model Y. Very nice and bloody quick.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/23 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Just had a passenger ride in my first EV.
Tesla model Y. Very nice and bloody quick.

I recently drove a Tesla Model Y dual motor - decided to floor it from 30mph - then decided that I wasn't going to do that again with someone else's £60k car! That's a bl**dy big car to throw down the road at those sorts of speeds...

David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/23 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
There's a good video on YouTube about an old-ish Ferrari that was converted to electric, using Tesla running gear. Gone were the £3k - £5k annual service costs, it went much faster, was lighter, and handled a lot better as the batteries were placed to get 50:50 weight distribution.

Not sure I'd want to pay approaching £100k for the conversion though...

coyoteboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

&#128514; I hate the noises they make, or don't make! In NL they're very common and if you're in a car park you have to be super vigilant or you run over in a heartbeat because they're so quiet. Had a few near misses.

But what stops me is their price. It's mental. But I find new cars mental in general. I always buy 3k used cars, I've no interest in spending 3/4/500 a month on a car that doesn't do the things my 3k car does.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.