Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Ignition Switch
Irony

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Ignition Switch

I have been searching on here for a while and on the net for this but I can't find it.

On my Luego Looms I have a few wires all lumped together called ignition switch. On the ignition switch the is a quick connector that I assume is the starting/charging/power connector (as its not on my swtiches steering column diagram). It has several cables coming out of it of various colours and various thicknesses - some are quite thick indeed. Which cable goes to what on the ignition switch? What colours go where?

Also my kit came with the Sierra column and the trailing leads with it. It seem in some cases to me mildly haphazardly wired with some wires joining others by stripping the insulation mid wire and then soldering in a spur connection. These then have a bit of black tape wrapped around it. I have no experience but is this normal for a sierra loom? Seems a tad shoddy.

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/6/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Red is normally pemanant live.
Yellow is normally switched live auxilliary(s).
Blue is normally lighting.
Black (IIRC) is normally ignition switched.
Brown is earth.

Using the above works for solid only colours and for wirring wof non solid where the above is the colour of the trace colour in the wiring. Uncertainty can also be checked by using a multi meter, one wire will feed in, one will ONLY give power when barrel in start possition, the others will give power in postion 2 (started) with one cable only having power on position 1 (radio circuit)

Yes the normal way Ford join cables is remove some sheath, join calbes with crimp or solder, then a quick wrap of tape before all cables wrapped in tape or other.

The colours I am quoting from memory so I could be wrong but I believe is generally right for vehicles of the Sierra age.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

a.j.stehr

posted on 18/6/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, im currently making my loom from scratch. I don't know if you have the same ignition switch as me but mine has four cables coming out.

Red - Goes to battery +ve
Black - 1st Ignition Aux
Yellow- 2nd Ignition Aux
Black/Blue - Starter solenoid

Black and yellow might be the other way around, but will check.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Ashley

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.