Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PCV Valve
a.j.stehr

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
PCV Valve

Hi, Im building a kit using a pinto 2lt SOHC. I'm almost ready to get it running but am a bit confused about the oil breather system. On the NS of the block above the engine mount there is a hole. Im told this is for the PCV valve which i have along with a grommet. i believe this has to have an oil separator or kidney valve between it?? Any Advice?? If this is correct where can i get one from as you don't seem to be able to buy them on Burton etc...

Any pictures would be great! I will try to upload some of mine in a bit!

Thanks in advance

Hope this works as i'm new to this!!

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome, there are many oil catch tanks available on ebay.I would say get one with a 1.0 ltr capacity and breather.

I have removed the valve on my set up as I am using throttle bodies and there is no vacuum connection to it on the in take to open the valve

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

a.j.stehr

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is it essential to use an oil cat tank then?? I hadn't planed on putting one in. I am using weber 45's and my manifold has an input on cylinder 4, i'm presuming for this reason... lI'm not fully clear on what the PCV valve does either but i'm told i need it for a flame trap?

My plan was to put the oil separator in the block with the PCV valve in the top and connect the hose from that to the manifold? would this work??

Is this the oil separator??

EV58 Motorcraft NOS PCV Valve 1971 1972 73 Pinto Capri | eBay UK

omega0684

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
a catch tank is a "must" if your going on track. if your not planning to track the car you don't "have" to run one, but I wouldn't like all that oil vapour condensing on other engine components, run a pipe from the PCV valve to the inlet on a catch tank (mounted on the bulkhead) then run a pipe from the outlet on the catch tank the the oil return feed to the sump on the o/s of the block under the exhaust manifold (its a 3/8 NPT thread if i remember correctly) this way you don't loose any oil. the vapour condenses in the catch tank and then runs back into the sump (win/win in my book)

i'll take some photo's later is you want to see how i've done mine

HTH's

Alex

[Edited on 18/6/11 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a.j.stehr

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice! i think i had better put one in! Will only regret it at a later stage.

Some pictures would be great!

This is what i have at the moment

http://www.burtonpower.com/prodpics/large/6011482%20PCV%20Valve.jpg

But it is the thing between this and the block that is confusing me.

omega0684

posted on 18/6/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the one that you have just sits in the hole on the side of the block, a smear of werth or sikaflex around it to hold it in may help.

I'll take some pictures when I get (I'm at work at the minute) I have the older style on, its a bit bigger than that one!

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
norfolkluego

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with the above plus

I think, in theory, if you don't vent through the inlet manifold you must use a catch tank (i.e. can't vent to road) to pass MOT, whether an MOT tester would actually check I suspect is a different matter.

Sure I read that in a Burton article.

[Edited on 18/6/11 by norfolkluego]

jacko

posted on 18/6/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a.j.stehr
Is it essential to use an oil cat tank then?? I hadn't planed on putting one in. I am using weber 45's and my manifold has an input on cylinder 4, i'm presuming for this reason... lI'm not fully clear on what the PCV valve does either but i'm told i need it for a flame trap?

My plan was to put the oil separator in the block with the PCV valve in the top and connect the hose from that to the manifold? would this work??

Is this the oil separator??

EV58 Motorcraft NOS PCV Valve 1971 1972 73 Pinto Capri | eBay UK

If you use the Valve in your link you will have to remove the bit in the middle of the valve
What you can do is just put a pipe from the hole in the engine block to a catch tank with a small filter on the top
Jacko

lotusmadandy

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of pinto oil separators left over
in the garage if you need one.

U2U your details and i will send you one.

Andy

a.j.stehr

posted on 23/6/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have just received the part and fitted it! Thank you very much!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.