Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank Mounting
johnny chimpo

posted on 17/4/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank Mounting

Hi all, hopefully someone will be able to share some knowledge with yet another problem I'm having.

In the last year my fuel tank straps have snapped twice. Each time I have replaced them they've lasted for a short while and snapped again, usually after a bit of spirited driving on some twisty roads.

What I've noticed different from the straps on my car compared to any other mnr build pics I've seen online is that instead of the mounting tabs being at 90 degrees away from the tank on both sides, the inner most tab ( nearest the cockpit) is bent in the other direction under the tank and bolted on.

The simple solution to the problem is to make it so that both tabs face away from the tank, but the problem with this is that there isn't enough space for this to happen. When the tank is in situ and you fit the straps there isn't enough space to drill and bolt the straps on through the mounting tabs without hitting the chassis.

Has anyone encountered this, and if so how did you get round it?

Fencewrecker

posted on 17/4/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have mounted my tank so the front face of the tank is hard up against the chassis. Using closed cell 1" tape to insulate the tank from the chassis both on the support rails and in front, and on the straps.

The straps I fastened to the vertical chassis bars in front of the tank then fastened in the usual way at the rear onto the support rails.

I did this because a full tank is heavy and under hard braking the tank will do its best to move forward. I have had my car on the road over 3 years and no probs, yet!!.

Hope that helps.

Dave

big_l

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bin the straps there clearly not working I have never used them on my vortx I just glued the tank in with tiger seal
And the iva man was happy !! I can lift my car from underneath by pushing on the tank !! It's never coming out !!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Fencewrecker

posted on 21/4/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Bin the straps!! Can't I have to remove the tank to remove the diff. So the straps will have to stay, and so far I have not had a problem.

Dave

johnny chimpo

posted on 21/4/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the suggestions guys.....

Ive actually just finished doing this today.

I made new straps and re-drilled the supports to the maximum outward points in each direction. The new straps now fit with tabs facing outwards..... Just! I also tiger sealed where the tank sits on the support straps. So its been a bit of both suggestions. Just hope it stays put this time!

Cheers again guys!

big_l

posted on 21/4/13 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
My diff comes in and out my car without removing the tank Dave as the tank was one of the first things to go in .

Hope fully now you won't have to mess about with it anymore

Johnny you coming to stoneleigh ??

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

johnny chimpo

posted on 22/4/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wish i was coming down unfortunately not tho... too many things getting neglected at the moment cos im trying to get the car back on the road for the 1st May so once thats sorted i'll be spending the holiday weekend sith the wife and little un' :-)

Make sure you post up plenty of pics of the MNR congregation!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.