Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon fibre rod for gearshift mechanism?
TimC

posted on 20/10/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre rod for gearshift mechanism?

I'm thinking of using 8mm pultruded carbon rod and bonded-on fittings for my gear-change mechanism.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/10/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
What would the benefit be Tim, weight?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

steved

posted on 20/10/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
they take a lot of abuse ,cant see it working and the weight saving over alloy rods wont be much ,though no harm in trying
TimC

posted on 20/10/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe, but also no welding and painting - potentially something that I can do in the house one evening.

steved

posted on 20/10/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
you shouldnt need to weld the alloy rods just tap the ends and screw in rosejoint ,simples
i just cant see carbon working with bonded ends ,very happy to be proved wrong though

[Edited on 20/10/13 by steved]

TimC

posted on 20/10/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steved
you shouldnt need to weld the alloy rods just tap the ends and screw in rosejoint ,simples
i just cant see carbon working with bonded ends ,very happy to be proved wrong though

[Edited on 20/10/13 by steved]

Maybe - I'm using some serious adhesive - This stuff will happily stick steel to GRP

I may give it a go - if it breaks on the shake-down, so be it.

Thatcher

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I plan to do the very same thing with some 10mm UD or uni directional carbon fibre tube and make a collar out of ally for the gbox lever and bond it together with Loctite's C2 heat cure adhesive but not for a while yet. Check out my pre preg carbon fibre gear knob post to see some pics.
Duncan36

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Tim you'll have to make sure the carbon is high temp. We had problems with the pushrods on a Jordan as the originals weren't made with high temp resin and one failed due to the heat.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

twybrow

posted on 20/10/13 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
No issue with this at all. The only concern is you get you fittings on the end to be a snug fit, and your bond line wel defined with a decent adhesive. The downside of using a pultruded rod is that as a solid lump of carbon and epoxy, they are not the most efficient structure - ie with the same amount of resin and fibre, you could make a far stiffer rod if it were hollow (I am assuming here you are using a solid rod, as opposed to a tube?).

Strangley enough I was playing with some of this yesterday, to clean resin out from inside a pipe. We make the stuff in 5-15km rolls to use as the main load bearing structure within high voltage overhead power lines. It is VERY good in tension, and when constrained in a sleeve, it can take a huge compression load too (buckling is your enemy).

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 21/10/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
you could still tap and thread the ends combined with 3m 8115 panel bond, it will go no where. Does the shape have to be tube? why not make a bespoke part which is suited to the exact needs?

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.