Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: civic i shift. What are they like?
Davegtst

posted on 20/10/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
civic i shift. What are they like?

I'm just about to buy a 07 civic 1.8 I shift (manual box with auto clutch and gear changes). I've been for a short drive and I'm fine with it but the wife is worried it will roll back if she stops on a hill. She is currently learning to drive an automatic so it could be a deal breaker if they are a pain to drive.
steve m

posted on 20/10/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I may be missing a vital point, but do you not use a handbrake on hills ?
as I have never relied on just leaving it in gear on its own on an automatic on a hill

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steved

posted on 20/10/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
gimick tried by a few makers but it never seems to take off or last long , had a saab years ago and it was pointless tbh and they allways give trouble way before a manual or fully auto
morcus

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I had a FIAT with a 'Dual logic' box which was a robotised manual, and when your used to a regular auto they are abit off putting but once you get used to it, it's fine. Rolling backwards is something that is likely to happen for awhile till you get used to it and remember the car won't hold or creep like an auto, but usually if your stopped the Brake pedal will hold the clutch so you just rev it with the brake pressed and release the brake.

The other thing is to begin with the gear changes seemed to take forever and felt like someone was turning the car on and off with the break in the power, but by the end I didn't notice it.

As said, you should use the hand brake anyway for hill starts, they make you use it on the test on hills where the car will pull away with no throttle anyway so it should be drummed into her to rev to about a thousand then drop the hand brake.

I'd be a bit worried about buying a used car with one incase it broke, but I'd have another car with a gearbox like that, not as smooth as a torque converter, but more efficient, terrible on snow and ice though.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Davegtst

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would much prefer a proper auto but honda don't do an 8th generation civic with one. All autos I have driven have crept forward when you take your foot of the brakes when it's in drive. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with then?
As for her instructor, she is told never to use the handbrake unless you are parking with an auto!

[Edited on 20/10/13 by Davegtst]

scimjim

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
07 Civic i shifts were subject to a recall for handbrake assembled incorrectly!!
morcus

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
You want to watchout, my Instructor was adamant that you'd fail a driving test if you did a hill start without the hand brake, and that was in an auto with a BSM instructor, you'll end up being in drive and not moving which is something you really don't want to be doing in a real auto as your wasting fuel (just listen how much the revs drop when you flicki it into N) and putting strain on the 'box. I'd say she's got a bad instructor, I know your meant to use the hand brake when you park, but you really don't need it for that, the hand brake should come on every time you come to a stop that will last more than a few seconds like at lights. You should stop with the brake, then put the hand brake on, then put the car in neutral and when setting off you should do the opposite, in drive, then release the hand brake as you go on the gas as my instructor used to say.

Depends what car you've got obviously, but putting an auto in neutral while your not moving makes a big difference in stop start traffic.

Like I said though, once you get used to it, you don't notice.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Davegtst

posted on 20/10/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are right about the bad instructor. There are a few things that I have commented on like not indicating to overtake a cyclist because 'everyone knows you are going round them' but I'm not an instructor so what do I know apparently. She has had a few instructors over the years and all they teach is how to pass the test. There doesn't seem to be any old school instructors like I had around anymore.
Bare

posted on 20/10/13 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd consider that as an improvement :-) Just as the demise of BLMC was.
Davegtst

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare

consider what an improvement?

NigeEss

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
quote:
Originally posted by Bare

consider what an improvement?

Ignore it, Bare is known for irrelevant, negative comments.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.