Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutches on Mazda MX5 engined cars
Fencewrecker

posted on 10/11/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Clutches on Mazda MX5 engined cars

Help! I have a 1.8 Mazda engine driving a 7 via std box and diff.

On a recent track day I got clutch slip when changing from 3rd to 4th at high revs.

My question is: as I am running an MX5 std clutch with only 3000 miles use, what clutch replacement do people recommend.
Also have others had the same problem.

Thanks

Dave

Slimy38

posted on 10/11/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, after a few months on mx5nutz this is the first time I've heard of a standard clutch slip. What makes it all the more unusual is the fact that it's in a car almost 500 kilos lighter.

As far as I can gather the MX5 owners tend to look for new clutches when they have forced induction, even a quick search for 'new clutch' only brings back posts relevant to big turbo's and similar.

I'm guessing that because you know the history that you were the one to replace the clutch? Did you use a brand name or OEM clutch? Are Borg and Beck still going, they seemed to have a good rep?

MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Slimy, very unusual to have a new, standard clutch slip especially in something as light as a Locost. More likely would be a problem with the hydraulics or operating linkages keeping pressure on the release bearing.

Assuming the clutch end is all standard Mazda, does your pedal box definitely allow the master cylinder to fully return? If not then this a recipe for clutch slip.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 10/11/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I recently had issues with my clutch on the Sr2 running standard MX5 1.8i and gearbox/ diff.
Mine wasn't slipping but was dragging, making it almost impossible to select gears. Seemed to get worse the warmer the clutch/ engine became. When we took it apart we found one of the pressure plate fingers had bent outwards....really annoying as clutch had only done 1.5K miles....
Ended up fitting a new one and 3K miles later still okay.

If yours is slipping I would check to see if you have sufficient play between slave cylinder actuator pin and clutch lever ( we had an issue on the new clutch slipping and had to shorten the pin by 10mm to give correct throw on lever), Only other thing I can think of is a damaged pressure plate or too much grease applied to splines when fitting which has now worked its way onto the clutch plates.....
HTH

Fencewrecker

posted on 10/11/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all

Thanks for responses, the clutch was an after-market not OEM, I fitted it new during the build. The slave actuator pin has sufficient free play checked this out first as that was my thought. However the clutch bite point has always felt high on the pedal, combined with no drag. So I have come to the conclusion its either a faulty pressure plate or I need a stiffer sprung one. Interestingly the clutch is fine for normal street driving.

I have just bought a hoist so will be removing the engine and stripping the clutch in the next few weeks, so will post findings.

I would welcome posts on recommendations for whether to buy a OEM, Stage 1 or Stage 2 and the best sources at reasonable prices.

Thanks

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.