Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How is a modified older vehicle treated for IVA ?
CompoSimmonite

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
How is a modified older vehicle treated for IVA ?

I've a 1972 Austin Sprite. I bought it years ago with the intention of converting into an Arkley but if I went down that route today I'd make the front and rear body myself and at the same time move A posts so longer doors and therefore better access.
Of course I fully understand such modifications would require IVA.
Thing is I doubt even a time warp / 100% original Sprite would pass IVA so am thinking there is no way my idea would pass even though the interior (steering wheel, dash, doors, seats, switches etc) would all be original 1972 items.
I know the reg would be lost and at best age related or Q allocated plus the VED exemption lost.
How are older modified vehicles treated for IVA.

Thanks.

Paul H

loggyboy

posted on 3/1/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the 'requirement' to - why would you bother IVAing it?

Mistral Motorsport

CompoSimmonite

posted on 3/1/14 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

My aim would be to make a Dragonfly "look a like" -

As it wouldn't still look like a Sprite, and following DVLA rules about modified monocoque, it would require IVA.
Obviously I wouldn't want to do that but I have the kind of luck I'd get caught sometime or other (insurance would be informed).

Paul H

Minicooper

posted on 3/1/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CompoSimmonite
I've a 1972 Austin Sprite. I bought it years ago with the intention of converting into an Arkley but if I went down that route today I'd make the front and rear body myself and at the same time move A posts so longer doors and therefore better access.
Of course I fully understand such modifications would require IVA.
Thing is I doubt even a time warp / 100% original Sprite would pass IVA so am thinking there is no way my idea would pass even though the interior (steering wheel, dash, doors, seats, switches etc) would all be original 1972 items.
I know the reg would be lost and at best age related or Q allocated plus the VED exemption lost.
How are older modified vehicles treated for IVA.

Thanks.

Paul H

They are treated the same as any other car presented, they have to pass the current SVA regulations, this means a car designed in the late 50's has to pass SVA regulations that came out in 2006 or thereabouts and also any additional updates since 2006.

The heavily modified minis, Z cars and the like have the same problem. It is possible to get them through the SVA but it's a long, involved and expensive process. Most people who modify there cars run them on the original registration and they appear to have no problem.

Recently there has been the odd car reported to VOSA when presenting for a MOT, the owners then have to present their car for inspection.

I personally will use my modified mini on the original registration until they say I can't, at that point I will either SVA it or use it as a trackday/sprint/hillclimb only car.

David

slingshot2000

posted on 3/1/14 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.