Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 Wheels. Smaller = better?
TimC

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
MX-5 Wheels. Smaller = better?

Hi All,

My Mk2 MX-5 (1.8 10AE) needs new boots. Before I splash-out, I'm wondering if I should move from 15s to 14s?

Most of us agree that 13s are better on a Locost or light kit car. Does the same apply to my Mazda?

Thoughts welcome.






View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I went from 14's to 15's and I find/found the 15's better to be honest. The MX5 isn't really amazingly lightweight and although the 14's were a more comfortable ride it handled better on the 15's.

How's that Gemini coming on Tim?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I went from 14's to 15's and I find/found the 15's better to be honest. The MX5 isn't really amazingly lightweight and although the 14's were a more comfortable ride it handled better on the 15's.

How's that Gemini coming on Tim?


Thank you Sir.

Slowly - and 'marriage' is becoming 'family' in June so gawd knows what'll happen.






View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, best thing you'll probably ever do but you end up with no time to do anything else - my MX5 has sat unloved in the garage for about a year and a half now

To be fair there wasn't that much difference between 14 and 15 inch wheels in my experience, the 15's were just slightly better but not enough I would say to spend money on new wheels, I got the car with a set of daisy's on it and a set of Team Dynamics 15' wheels and tires as part of the 'package' so it cost me nothing to find out - I would have been disapointed if I had spent money!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Conversely my MX5 had 17" wheels fitted as standard and the handling is much more assured than the previous 15" shod model. Having said that when it lets go it really lets go!!

Most road tyres are now researched and designed for low profile (fashionable) wheels and consequently we should expect low profile tyres to overtake high profile tyres despite the inherent disadvantages.

I don't know but assume that it would be slightly different for track tyres as although they are constructed differently (less robust) but still can have access to newer compounds.

Anybody in the tyre industry out there who can tell all?





You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   v8kid 's Aim
adithorp

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Yup, best thing you'll probably ever do but you end up with no time to do anything else - my MX5 has sat unloved in the garage for about a year and a half now

To be fair there wasn't that much difference between 14 and 15 inch wheels in my experience, the 15's were just slightly better but not enough I would say to spend money on new wheels, I got the car with a set of daisy's on it and a set of Team Dynamics 15' wheels and tires as part of the 'package' so it cost me nothing to find out - I would have been disapointed if I had spent money!


I don't supose you still have the 14"s do you? I've been looking for a set for a while.





"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
The main reason I would go for 15's in this case is the much better choice of tyres.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 11/2/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Yup, best thing you'll probably ever do but you end up with no time to do anything else - my MX5 has sat unloved in the garage for about a year and a half now

To be fair there wasn't that much difference between 14 and 15 inch wheels in my experience, the 15's were just slightly better but not enough I would say to spend money on new wheels, I got the car with a set of daisy's on it and a set of Team Dynamics 15' wheels and tires as part of the 'package' so it cost me nothing to find out - I would have been disapointed if I had spent money!


I don't supose you still have the 14"s do you? I've been looking for a set for a while.


might do....... they're the lighter hollow spoke ones and they even have legal tires too (nothing special mind you). U2U me an offer mate if you want them - as it's you I'll not take the wee on the price even though they are rare JDM kit etc etc

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.