Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EDIS Basics
adamswifty

posted on 28/10/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
EDIS Basics

Hi all,

I picked up a part built car around two weeks ago, Locost 7 hybrid with Roadster IRS, 2.0 silvertop, single throttle body + plenum, type 9 gearbox and megasquirt. I'm in the process of assessing what needs doing and what I'd like to tweak. As the days pass it's looking less and less like a car!

When I bought the car it would start but required assistance (throttle feathering) and would not rev above 1200 rpm whilst sounding far from smooth. I assumed the map required adjustment. I've spent a little time uploading various zetec maps and have not seen any significant improvement. It takes a lot of cranks to start and if I'm lucky it will idle (roughly) for around 5 mins then die. I'm starting to think there is something more fundamental that requires attention before the map.

I took the plugs out and inspected, plugs 1 and 3 have a lot of carbon, whereas 2 and 4 look like new. I don't believe this combination aligns to the coil pack pairs, but something is a miss, I'm also wondering if its running on two cylinders.

I had assumed EDIS was driving the ignition, though after assessing further I'm not sure. Its a 94 2.0 silvertop zetec, from searching around the EDIS module could have been part of the original ECU, which would mean no EDIS. The megasquirt is set for a 36 pin trigger wheel rather than EDIS which further confirms I'm not running with EDIS?

The megasquirt is version 1. Do I need to add an EDIS module or can I run without? (I've tried the ignition timing via the trigger wheel at 60 and 90 degrees, none of which smooth things out.

Any assistance appreciated!

When I picked her up;

Mid strip down ....

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/10/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have built my MS2.

To make it run waisted spark without EDIS you have to modify the internal circuitry to have two ignition outputs. One for each coil.

EDIS does use the 36-1 crank signal so this is not an indicator.

If this mod is not done then you need to run with an EDIS.

This would show up as two cylinders not firing.

You need to visit the megasquirt website and have s look inside the MS to see if the mod has been done this will lead you in the right direction.

Here's a link that discusses EDIS link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Non custom

posted on 28/10/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read here as may help

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

adamswifty

posted on 28/10/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, will check the Megasquirt to confirm its set-up, hoping its not enabled for wasted spark!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.