Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: C&U = MPH & KPH Speedo, IVA = MPH?
WesBrooks

posted on 3/3/16 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
C&U = MPH & KPH Speedo, IVA = MPH?

Afternoon All,

Currently beginning to plan my dashboard. Gauges have been quite a headache! I like the VDO Viewline range due to their high IP rating, integral warning lights (for pressure, temp, revs etc).

On the IVA there appears to be no mention of a requirement to display up to the maximum speed of the vehicle. For me this is fine as I don't intend to ever do 105mph in a lifted, rebodied land rover discovery! It also only mentions MPH.

The Construction and Use specify upto the maximum vehicle design speed, and also be capable of displaying KPH either continuously (second scale or LCD would suffice) or on a switch.

Are there any issues with MPH only gauges? I can get dual scales up to 85mph on the Viewline range but no higher!

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

loggyboy

posted on 3/3/16 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
Afternoon All,

Currently beginning to plan my dashboard. Gauges have been quite a headache! I like the VDO Viewline range due to their high IP rating, integral warning lights (for pressure, temp, revs etc).

On the IVA there appears to be no mention of a requirement to display up to the maximum speed of the vehicle. For me this is fine as I don't intend to ever do 105mph in a lifted, rebodied land rover discovery! It also only mentions MPH.

The Construction and Use specify upto the maximum vehicle design speed, and also be capable of displaying KPH either continuously (second scale or LCD would suffice) or on a switch.

Are there any issues with MPH only gauges? I can get dual scales up to 85mph on the Viewline range but no higher!

Part 17
RS2.
A speedometer must be capable of indicating the vehicle speed in miles per hour (mph) at uniform intervals not exceeding 20mph for all speeds up to the maximum design speed of the vehicle. (see note 2)

Note 2: It is acceptable if the maximum speed of the vehicle is indicated by the last increment on the speedometer which must not be more than 19mph beyond the last 20mph increment.

Mistral Motorsport

serieslandy

posted on 3/3/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
My race technology dash only displays mph. There was no mention of kph at iva

HTH

mark chandler

posted on 3/3/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one of these off eBay the other day

Motorcycle LCD Digital Odometer Speedometer Odometer MotorBike F1,2,4 Cylinders

I,m still trying to work out how to change wheel size as its looking for a 17" wheel, it actually looks better than the £25 I paid for it, feels quite solid and lights up really nicely.

WesBrooks

posted on 4/3/16 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, as I said there seems to be a discrepancy between the Road Vehicles Construction and Use and the M1 IVA test guide. While my build doesn't require an IVA I need to make sure it follows set minimum standards as not to cause myself any issues if I did get pulled over. I've been following the IVA guide so far, and if I was to put it through an IVA and get a pass this wouldn't be an issue. BUt since I'm only following the guide and not testing in this case I guess I have to ensure I satisfy the C&U requirement for MPH & km/h?

These quotes are from Section 35 from Road Vehicles Construction and Use 1986 1078. Is there an updated document available?

quote:

35.-(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st of April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

Paragraph (2) doesn't apply, but (3) may:

quote:

(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.

WesBrooks

posted on 4/3/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think the accuracy requirements are specified in the directive but don't have a copy of that. I'm going to continue to go by the IVA M1 guide. Just found it odd that the older document was the one that said display the km/h rather than the newer M1 IVA guide!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.