Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car import Q
coyoteboy

posted on 6/2/24 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Car import Q

Hi Folks,

One that's got me scratching my head.

I've just re-imported my car from europe and put it through the HMRC import clearance (fine, the fastest and most friendly government process I've ever interacted with). However I now need to register it with the DVLA. The question is..... when I do, do I have to tax/MOT/insure it immediately or can I just immediately SORN it?

I only brought it back because I couldn't sell it there easily, so keeping it here is at my risk/loss and I want to minimise it!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/24 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I guess I asked a niche question!

russbost

posted on 8/2/24 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not a definitive answer, but anything else you buy in the UK you can SORN immediately, I don't see why it should be any different?

At worst you might have to pay 6 months road tax along with the registration fee when you register it, but should then be able to immediately SORN & claim it back, should only cost one months tax - I don't think insurance & MoT come into it anymore, they always used to, but pretty sure I taxed a car that was currently not MoT'd or insured a year or so back

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 8/2/24 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Not a definitive answer, but anything else you buy in the UK you can SORN immediately, I don't see why it should be any different?

At worst you might have to pay 6 months road tax along with the registration fee when you register it, but should then be able to immediately SORN & claim it back, should only cost one months tax - I don't think insurance & MoT come into it anymore, they always used to, but pretty sure I taxed a car that was currently not MoT'd or insured a year or so back

Good point, if didn't think it could be claimed back. But you're right, thanks for reminding me!

gremlin1234

posted on 8/2/24 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I guess I asked a niche question!

certainly a niche question, and I don't know the answer

but,
the general registration procedure for imported cars over 3years old requires an mot, and payment of the first tax

I suspect you could trailer it home, unregistered.
then get an mot later, (issued on the chassis no)
then register/tax it.

edit to add
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65b38562c5aacc0013a6838e/v355-5-guide-to-filling-application-for-first-vehicle-tax-and-registration-of- used-motor-vehicle.pdf

[Edited on 8/2/24 by gremlin1234]

gremlin1234

posted on 8/2/24 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

as far as I can tell.
the car needs to be mot'd to tax it - but it stays taxed even if the mot the expires! insurance is now enforced separately.

incidentally, I just found you can register off road vehicles, might be an idea for some racecars
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/657063bf746930000d4888eb/inf85-protect-your-off-road-vehicle.pdf

[Edited on 8/2/24 by gremlin1234]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.