Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what fuel container
Trollyjack

posted on 22/8/14 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
what fuel container

I'm going to do a trackday soon can some one tell me what petrol containers are allowed
I have 2 x 20 litre jerrycans amd 2 plastic 25litre drums are they picky on what you bring petrol in.
Thanks

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 22/8/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Track days don't give a hoot either way. It's filling them you may have an issue with. Technically you're only supposed to use 10L cans these days, thought many people (myself included) still use 20L jerry cans. Just don't draw attention to it. However filling a 25 litre non-marked drum may be a different matter...
adithorp

posted on 22/8/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Take the JerryCans.

Only times I've seen anything said at a track day was someone filling with the engine running and a day at RAF Valley where filling was only allowed in a special area and not the pits. Keep your eye out for someone wandering over as you do it for a chat while smoking... I've had that happen!

Filling them at a petrol station is a bit more complex...
You can only put fuel into containers properly marked for it; So your 25lt plastic drums are probably out and personally I wouldn't as I've seen petrol meltthrough what looked like good containers.
There's no law about the size of container you can fill... but local licencing regs might restict what is allowed. The law does say you aren't allowed to store more than 10lt at home and this is often quoted as a limit on sales.
I've never been stopped from filling 20lt JerryCans though for handling I find 10lt ones handier.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

serieslandy

posted on 22/8/14 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've no idea about at the track but sometimes the petrol station gets funny. I regularly fill up 4cans at a time from the side door of our van and once they turned the pump off on me. Saying I was only allowed to fill one can. Every other time they've been fine.
f750sgr

posted on 22/8/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
My local Shell station will only allow 5L plastic or 10L Jerry cans after they've had the container inspected and only once in a 24 hour period. It makes it a real PITA when i've got a race weekend coming up.

Sean

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 22/8/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco or Morrisons and pay at pump, Don't look too shifty and you could fill a shoebox and they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Mixed 20L of two-stroke on the forecourt the other day because I was in a hurry, got a few odd looks but that was all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.