Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Striker Questions
Attilauk

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Striker Questions

Hi all,

I have an itch I need to scratch, I used to own a Tiger Cat E1 with a 4AGE engine (apparently originally built by Mel at RAW but I have no proof, the engine was certainly supplied by them though) and ever since I sold it I have wanted to build a kit myself. Fingers crossed I will be moving into a new house soon which has a large enough garage to build one so I am starting to put some plans for a project together.

I love the look of the Striker, it looks more compact than other 7 style kits, however I have been hankering after something with a V8 rumble too. I know of at least one Striker which has an RV8 but I would much rather use a Toyota / Lexus 1UZFE (its smaller, lighter and more powerful) mated to a BMW ZF 5 speed manual transmission. It's a fairly common conversion in drift cars but does anyone know whether this has been attempted in a Striker before? I'm concerned that as its a quad cam engine I may struggle fitting the heads inside the chassis as it doesn't look like a massive engine bay, also I don't know whether the gearstick location on the ZF box will work with a Striker cockpit. It's a bit weightier than a more common engine setup (a Zetec or a 4AGE setup would be 50ish kg lighter) but with 270ish bhp stock and a good glob of torque I don't think you would notice the extra weight that much.

I have a good friend who has a lot of experience with the 1UZFE, he has converted his Pajero to run one (and is currently in the process of turboing it) and had helped his son fit one to a S14a 200sx too so I will have plenty of assistance with getting one to work.

If its a no go then its not the end of the world, an RX8 rotary engine seems like a great option for a kit too, they are cheap as chips to pick up as an engine / gearbox donor now, with a street port job and throttle bodies it would sound like satans flymo and go like stink...

what do you guys think?

Sam_68

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've not heard of the Toyota/Lexus engine being fitted before.

There have certainly been Strikers fitted with the old 13B Mazda Rotary; I think your biggest issue with the RX8 is that the 6 speed gearbox is huge, and the striker's tunnel is not.

jeffw

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
And the engine in a RX8 tends to have issues which is why there are so many RX8s around for buttons.

gaz_gaz

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
You won't fit a RX8 box in a standard striker chassis.
I looked at mating the engine to a quaife gearbox with custom bellhousing but then you have alot of added cost.

I'm a huge fan of the rotary engine, there are challenges for keeping it cool and quiet. Plenty of into out there though

Attilauk

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
There have certainly been Strikers fitted with the old 13B Mazda Rotary; I think your biggest issue with the RX8 is that the 6 speed gearbox is huge, and the striker's tunnel is not.

Hmm I'd not thought of that, the RX8 gearbox seems to be used by ford guys as a replacement for the Type 9 so I had assumed it was a similar size.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
And the engine in a RX8 tends to have issues which is why there are so many RX8s around for buttons.

Most of the issues with RX8 rotaries are caused by people not checking the oil level, rotaries do burn a bit and if they run low then they can go bang fairly quickly, as with any highly strung N/A engine (230ish bhp from 1.3 litres capacity) they need a bit of looking after. They can flood easily too if they are turned off before reaching running temperature.

They are very easy to work on though, I helped a mate rebuild his RX7 lump a couple of years ago and it was much easier (and cheaper) to work on than any piston engine I've played with.

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
One of the ways the striker is so compact is down to the offset engine and shortened passenger footwell. Most 7 esq cars are fairly symmetrical, the strikers tunnel is shifted and angled slightly to to the passenger side, meaning the engine naturally sits off centre. I suspect most large engines would fit, but the trans tunnel would no doubt foul the drivers foot well. Even the slim type 9 needs to have a trimming.

This is a Fulcum hence the outriggers - but chassis layout is identical.

[Edited on 6-9-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

gaz_gaz

posted on 6/9/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Attilauk
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68

Hmm I'd not thought of that, the RX8 gearbox seems to be used by ford guys as a replacement for the Type 9 so I had assumed it was a similar size.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Most of the issues with RX8 rotaries are caused by people not checking the oil level, rotaries do burn a bit and if they run low then they can go bang fairly quickly, as with any highly strung N/A engine (230ish bhp from 1.3 litres capacity) they need a bit of looking after. They can flood easily too if they are turned off before reaching running temperature.

They are very easy to work on though, I helped a mate rebuild his RX7 lump a couple of years ago and it was much easier (and cheaper) to work on than any piston engine I've played with.

The renesis motor doesn't let go in the same way the older turbo 13bs did.
They tend to wear out and slowly lose compression, becoming harder to start when hot.
It's pretty widely accepted a renesis that's looked after will last 100k miles plus.
Flooding is the beginning of issues. A healthy engine won't flood easily.

First port of call should be a compression test, if the engines healthy then an ignition/coil upgrade is a must. Plenty of companies doing upgrades now such as rotary revs.

Next step is too look at oil metering pump. I blocked mine off and ran the car on 2stroke oil added to the fuel.
There are systems now that utilise a tank in the engine bay with fresh oil to help lube the seals instead of burning off engine oil..
I've blown up plenty turbo rx7 engines but I'm yet to ruin a renesis. Start with a good 1, coils and omp system and you won't go far wrong. If you can keep it cool in a kitcar

There's a fella on here running 1 in a Westfield, have a search and see what you find.

gaz_gaz

posted on 6/9/16 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Slyva Striker. Fully rebuilt rolling chassis (properly registered). Road / track

Being sold by a chap also on here. Defiantly a cheap way of starting out

Attilauk

posted on 6/9/16 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Some great information there guys, thank you! Its good to see a fellow rotary lover too!

It looks like I will have to take a few measurements of the ZF box and of a Striker chassis as it looks damn tight in that transmission tunnel, unfortunately a 1UZ would shred a Type 9 so its not really an option. Looking at the chassis pictures there shouldn't be too much problem with the engine itself though.

Unfortunately until I'm in the new house I'm not in a position to buy, as that rolling chassis looks perfect!

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
You're only an hour or so from Raw so well worth a visit.

Mistral Motorsport

Attilauk

posted on 6/9/16 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
You're only an hour or so from Raw so well worth a visit.

The house I'm moving to is half an hour closer! I think a visit is a very good idea, cheers.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/9/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
As people have said go and visit raw and have a chat
alfas

posted on 9/9/16 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1584&p=12104#p12104

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.