Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the snow
austin man

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
the snow

How is it we have three flake of snow and everything stopps schools close because of snoball fights, buses stop because of slush on the roads.

I can never recal the Eskimo's halting everything because the sun came out and it was a little hot. What the hell is happening to Britain ??? when I was at school it took 8ft snowdrifts to stop schools opening or a massive boiler failure now its a snowball fight.

For gods sake can someone take care of the country.

James

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
School closed because of snowball fight? Not heard that one. You got a linky?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NigeEss

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
This country ain't ready,
20% of drivers here have never had to drive in it, a lot of the rest think they are the Snow Stig.
The few that do know get snarled up by the above.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

austin man

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
The school was closed in their words due to safety, kids were informed it was so no one was hurt during breaks. I can recall walking through 3ft of snow in the 80's to get to school and can also recall 8ft snow drifts in the 70's we still got sent to school and were only sent home if the boiler was bust.

Cant imagine we' ever be prepared for war cos it may be to wet, too cold too hot, too sunny, too noisy. Great Britain huh were more americanised than the Americans.

Theres no wonder we are in a recession weve allowed the state to become too reliant upon others, allowing unemployed the right to be too choosey about what they want are willing to do which allows migrant workers in to do the jobs our unemployed can do. Obviously the money earned goes home with them so let me see 25% of the workforce is foreign 50% of their income goes back to their country , we pay Tax and NI to support the same amount of unemployed and get no return hummmmmm recession or poor management ??????????????????????

Rant over

paul the 6th

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah the snow hasnt been that bad but lucky for us at work, the roads have been dead! London to Leeds in 3 hours Inc a 5 min stop.. One of the fastest runs ever.

If it makes our lives easier then let the "chaos" continue

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
orbital

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
My children's school has been open all the way through the snow this week.

As for the country falling apart due to snow what do you expect? Shall we spend millions no make that billions, building an infrastructure that can cope with arctic condition like the Scandinavian countries? For basically what is a once in every 20 years event these days? I'm sure we're all willing to fork out more taxes for that pleasure? Let's just take it as it comes, endure a week of no travel and then get back to normal.

Cheers

Dave

ryanslaney

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with orbital. And 8ft snow drifts! hhhmmmm. not sure about that one!

yes, the uk grinds to a halt but its only because people are finding excuses and ways not to get out and get on with it!

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
Wokingham council have shut down ALL the schools in their district TWICE this week.

Once on Tuesday and once on Friday.

Bloody ridiculous...

[Edited on 7/2/09 by stevebubs]

LBMEFM

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I know this is an old mans rant but in the 50s & 60s we just got on with it. When you woke up the windows had ice flower pattens on the them. The bathroom sink was frozen. If it snowed, yes there were 8ft drifts, you walked to school and had snowball fights on the way. Younger people today and the media have to analyse everything, who's fault is it, what's the health & safety angle, how much does it cost? For God's sake this is winter, I know some of you younger ones have not experienced bad winters but this is how it is supposed to be. Lets face it the administration of this country is crap, bit of snow= chaos, wrong leaves on the rails = chaos, couuple of days without rain = drought. Taking up the point of cost and higher taxes by changing the infrastructure, we must be spending billions on something, the current UK bank balance stands at a deficit of £111,000,000,000 ( source www.indexmundi.com) a higher deficit than 161 other countries with only Spain and the USA higher. The country is falling apart, the British public are brilliant we just go about are business until confronted by a situation then we get togther and help each other out. We are over taxed and suppressed by the goverment and given absolutley no motivation but still we survive. Democracy, don't think so, we get the chance to vote every four years then we don't have a say in anything, who voted for Gordan Brown? Despite all of this I like living here, what I don't like is the overpaid, incompetent imbiciles who run it, from the dinosaurs in local goverment, the time wasting MP's and the champagne swilling jet set euro MP's. Maybe if we cut back on their expenditure we might have a bit more cash in the bank. Barry

[Edited on 7/2/09 by LBMEFM]

spaximus

posted on 7/2/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is things have changed in the way things are run. We don't need to spend billions on infrastructure we need good old common sense.
When I was at school in the 60's when it snowed we went out and played at school, made snow men and slides, it was normal. Now little Johnny slips or get's a snowball in the face, sue the school, hence the risk assesment close's them.
Local councils had to deal with the local roads so all the council vehicles had a facility to fix a snow plough, they had gritters which just fixed on a flat bed truck so the people who did gardening etc when it snowed became gritter drivers. road sweepers ie men with brushes, when out and cleared snow from the paths and it worked. I was never sent home from school, and in IIRC76 we had bad snow yet we all got to and from work.
Now everything is centralised and things like this just stop everything because we have forgotten how to cope.
Yesterday I could have driven anywhere, but I couldn't because every road was blocked with cars spinning abandoned crashed blocking the roads, it was bad but not that bad if you drove correctly.
The question is what will they now do? With the climate changing we probably will get winters like this more often, will they spend money, no they would rather give £500.000.000 to nigeria to promote democracy than a fraction of that to ensure the basics are covered.

iiyama

posted on 7/2/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Come the revolution my brothers.......

(and thats not meant to be a sarcastic comment!!)

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

MikeR

posted on 7/2/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Spoke to lad at work about his who's wife's a teacher cause i couldn't understand why everything was being closed. My mum used to be a teacher and I remember walking to school with her through the snow in the 70's and 80's.

Seems it is down to two things - the worry not enough staff will make it in therefore they won't be able to look after the kids & the worry if anything happens whilst at school the ambulance chasers will sue the ass off them.

The first reason i can understand but the second is complete and utter, country down the toilet rubbish.

ReMan

posted on 7/2/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama

Have you got one plannedd.
I'm all for one, March 3rd is a good day for me?

martinq357

posted on 7/2/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
LBMEFM & spaximus should form a joint coalition government and run the country.

I'd vote for them and so would the majority of other people in this country who feel the same.

March the 3rd revolution..... I'll put it in my diary!

Martin.

nstrug

posted on 7/2/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Many modern cars, equipped with wide, low profile summer tyres are completely unable to get through even small amounts of snow or slush. Even small hatches now have ridiculous tyres which just can't cope. On my tintop I have 225/45R17 Eagle F1s which while brilliant in the dry and rain would be hopeless in even tiny amounts of snow.

Luckily, I also have a set of steelies with 205/50R17 Nokian WR winter tyres, which are absolutely incredible in the snow - its like having chains, but with the advantage of being able to go over 40mph. I originally bought them for driving to the Alps for snowboarding every winter, but now I swap them over for the whole of December-March, just like the Scandiwegians, Central Europeans and North Americans do - they're brilliant.

Nick

clairetoo

posted on 7/2/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama

Have you got one plannedd.
I'm all for one, March 3rd is a good day for me?

Sounds good to me - do I need a packed lunch , or will there be catering ? And will I need to bring my own gun ?

Oh , hang on - there will need to be a risk-assessment done - so March 3rd may be too soon

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

martinq357

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Don't we need to form a Quango, talk about it for 5 years, have some 'free form brain storming', 'run it up the flag pole and see how it flies' and then, and only then, run it past the Health and Safety Exec (how much do they cost?) to draw up the risk assesments......

You may need a packed lunch (as long as it is nut and chocolate free and contains at least 2 pieces of fruit) as the catering company's public liability insurance is too high....

Rant over.... for now.

[Edited on 7/2/09 by martinq357]

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanslaney
I agree with orbital. And 8ft snow drifts! hhhmmmm. not sure about that one!

yes, the uk grinds to a halt but its only because people are finding excuses and ways not to get out and get on with it!

Some of us on here ARE old enough (just) to remember '63' and even fewer old enough might be old enough to remember '47'.

1963 I was 4 and I went for a walk on the sea front at Felpham, West Sussex. My mum let me play on the snow on the stones on the beach. The trouble was that I wasn't on the stones I was on the snow on the ICE over the SEA. The other problem was that it wasn't thick enough and I went through it up to bum. My mother got a tad upset 'cos she had to come and get me out.

We are also old enough to remember looking out of warmed up frozen bedroom windows to see how long the Icicles were that hung from the gutters, less than about a foot and it wasn't really cold.
Then this was quickly followed by a dash down stairs to open the front door and see how high the cream poles were on the top of the milk bottles (the milk man ALWAYS got through). The bigger the pole the colder it was. Although eating a cream lolly-pop would not be PC these days. Mothers also made a point of doing the washing and putting it out on the washing line only for it to become a point of humour in that a couple of hours later it would be brought in stiffer than any sheet of steel.

School were not a problem either because for one thing the teachers always lived near the schools. Now they live miles away so they don't get hassled by the children they are teaching. (yes I know this is not true of ALL the teachers. but enough to make a difference.)

[Edited on 7/2/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Shamrock GS

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
When you take over as supreme rulers of the universe please have a word with Bl**$y parents. I run a school and was forced to close last week even though there was barely any snow. All because one parent said they were going to sue because their child had slipped on the pavement on the way to school on Mon. Council told me to close down as it was too dangerous!

At what point are parents actually responsible for their kids?

Mr Angry (Headteacher)

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shamrock GS

Mr Angry (Headteacher)

These days they are not, just watch and see how many get there kids out of the car into the main road rather than on the pavement side of the vehicle.

An angry taxi driver.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

trogdor

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have only recently realised how the weather has changed. I am 23 and can remember snow this bad and having fun in it. I also remember the schools didn't close apart from once when the boiler broke.

But now I have heard kids getting excited by the snow because they have never seen it deep enough to have snowball fights etc.

That used to be every year but thinking about it the last time i saw decent snow was the first year of uni and then before that i was probably 12 or 11.

Obviously this didn't apply on the hills in the lake district or wales when i went on holiday there.

SteveWalker

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
My eldest son's school (he's only 5) stayed open, but they closed the playground, so kids had to go straight in and stay inside all day. I would have loved for him to have been able to play out, throw snowballs, make ice slides and all the things that I used to do at school.

Of course we've had no snow at the weekends here and it's begun to melt each afternoon so that there's not been enough by the time school has finished

This worry of being chased for compensation has gone way too far. During the Autumn he came home from school with his whole face scratched, cut and bruised - he was tripped and fell on his face, well these things happen. Last year his younger brother had an accident at nursery and was taken to hospital by ambulance - he was okay, but needed a couple of steristrips and a few days at home before returning, our response was to write to the nursery chain's head office and praise the actions of their staff.

SteveW

RK

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember, if your country wasn't screwed up, we wouldn't have one. So keep it up!
ReMan

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shamrock GS
When you take over as supreme rulers of the universe please have a word with Bl**$y parents. I run a school and was forced to close last week even though there was barely any snow. All because one parent said they were going to sue because their child had slipped on the pavement on the way to school on Mon. Council told me to close down as it was too dangerous!

Mr Angry (Headteacher)

You be careful whay you're saying now!
I watch Waterloo Road

theconrodkid

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
funnily enough,i was talking to a teacher this morning,her school shut due to the snow and the risk of being sued,didnt happen when i were a lad....that was a long time ago tho :-),where were the kids?sliding down hills and lobbing snowballs at each other.
i,m free on the third and can supply catering as long as you all like bacon sarnies

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.