Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What jobs are you guys doing?
Rek

posted on 20/9/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I was talking to a cabbie here in Bracknell the other day. He was working to pay off his debt's after his parents company got stung on a Sandwich/Coffee van that was to big to do the job (Apparently it had some enormous generator so it could run at events, which made it not viable for weekday rounds). He mentioned that it is important to travel round estates first and get the bigger companies facilities people to let you come on their grounds and spend time seeing who services the current industrial estates. His underlying message was start with a low cost set-up. and Always always turn up!
swanny

posted on 20/9/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
business development manager for a local university. spend my time putting businesses in touch with academics who have interesting inventions/skills that the businesses can exploit to make themselves more money. then help both sides win some government money to do the project.

i know howe you feel though. i spent a dozen years in a job i was sick of. spent 6 years doing an OU degree, then left work altogether to do an MSC full time.

qualified from that and within a couple of years got this job. worth all that hardwork.

did a night shift for two years to pay for my share of the first kit car.

really appreciate having a job i enjoy, fair bit of travel, and get to look at lots of different companies/industries and see how they make stuff, then make em some money!

took a long time to get here, and you never know when it might end, but its been good so far.

salary not gone mental compared to old job, but enjoy going into work, which is worth everything.

paul

Ninehigh

posted on 20/9/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Will you deliver, I'll have a liver and onion then Butty van works fine in google.

Surprisingly it does

And to your liver!

Butty van's really sounding like a good idea, if we could get one for the right price and a decent spot. Better go look at the council webshite see what I can find there.

*Edit* I can find f**k all, it's amazing how a specific search can come up with irrelevant crap!
They'd go mental at me if I just put on somewhere, and wouldn't take the excuse that "your website said nothing about it"

[Edited on 20/9/09 by Ninehigh]

GrumpyOne

posted on 20/9/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Solutions Consultant, very good money, work from home and when I travel it is overseas.
Being made redundant at the end of this month though thinking of doing something completly different.

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

locoboy

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I qualified with a 2:1 in Sports and exercise Science 10 years ago and have been with 2 employers since. Both small family run outfits with quite big turnovers.

1st was with a Plastic fastners distributor where i was sales manager.

Then when i was bored with the routine and the crap company policies i left and went to work for a friend in his haulage company.

I soon became the transport manager and enjoyed the challenging and changing pace of work.

After 4 years there we decided that it was no longer worth the effort to continue trading. My boss shut it down and put his money into setting us up breaking 4x4's

All of us that were at the transport company were into our cars so it was like playday!

We have been going at it for 18 months now and it is growing quickly and the current climate has helped us out with selling uality second hand items.

The money is good and my terms and conditions have been carried over from the transport company, ie continuous service etc etc.

I make wooden planets on the side to suppliment the income and give a bit of beer money in hand.

I invested a fair amount of mony in tools to be able to do it £300.00 and whilst it is not something i could make a living at , i could make a nice few quid at it if i had enough spare time to dedicate to it.
planter bare
planter bare

They are far better made than the ones you see in garden centres etc that sell for £50 a pop for a 40cmx40cmx40cm one.

I sell mine at the same money and once folks have seen them there is no contest in which oene they will buy

ATB
Locoboy

r1_pete

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
IT Manager, absolutely HATE it, only the salary that keeps me going.

IT used to be the thing that put business ahead, now if business doesn't exploit it, they fall behind, its just another neccessary cost, so everyone is looking to cut that cost.

They wont make me redundo either, that would cost too much! But I've no debts, no mortgage loan, credit cards etc. so the last few weeks I've thought sod it and started to create some poo of my own at work. When you question the costs of $M multi projects with evidenced cheaper / better alternatives VP's start to listen, then watch the fallout.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a mechanical engineer and ticketed up as a storage tank inspector/repairer, ala Buncefield but on a bigger scale.

Did a spell managing the construction of a large oil storage teminal in the mid western states of the US. Best job I have ever had or will ever have. Shame it was only temporary.

Over here the money is ok, just.
Don't really enjoy he job though.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

keithice

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
fridge and a/c engineer... like the job but the hours can be long and standby is one weekend in four... does mean good money and I don't use the credit cards but do have a mortgage and two loans will finish paying the loans in two years and will then be okay

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

scutter

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Royal Air Force aircraft engineer, 12hr days and nights working 5 on, 5 off, 4 on, 5off, 5 on, 4 off.

Tough sometimes but I love it, must do I've been doing it for the last 18 years. Oh and the toys are Really expensive

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I run an industrial heating and air conditioning company.

MD semi retired (6 months in Spain) so no one looking over my shoulder and interfearing, it would be a great job if it wasn't for the ungrateful ba*tards that own it.

Oh yeah, and we have to baby sit the directors kids, they are fecking useless

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'm an agric engineer, (been there since I left school in 92!) pay for the skill level & conditions is not great but the variety of work is fantastic, know almost all the customers by first name & it's all local, no commuting, parts for my own stuff at trade prices & it comes off my overtime before tax so mabye not so bad.
On the otherhand I've gto myself a girl I'm serious about & we're gonna be looking for a house before long, I see no reason why we should struggle if I have the potential to earn a fair bit more (& without being big-headed I belive I do).

David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I spent 24 years in BT, until they made me a voluntary redundancy offer that I'd have been stupid to refuse. Most of that money went into paying off my mortgage. Went off to be an IT contractor for 5 or 6 years, until this government screwed that up...

Went back into full-time employment at reasonable money, but although it started as a great job, some management changes made it really bad, to the point that I was getting unwell. At that point I took a 12-month sabbatical, which was brilliant - but at the end I had to go and get earning again.

So now I'm a software tester in a UK branch of a Danish company - proper work at reasonable pay, testing a product that some very big businesses want to buy (can't really say what it is - but it's to do with managing investments).

I have zero debts, a credit card that only gets used for business expenses, so I do get a little bit of spare money at the end of each month to spend on the car - unless it's the month that has the quarterly gas & electricity payments!

luke

posted on 20/9/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Student loan!

Na, after I finished my A levels I was sick of education so got a job as sales assistant for a national car accessories shop. Worked my way up to assistant manager of the largest shop in the region.

Then last september I was getting sick of the constant boredom and lack of career oppurtunities so within two days enrolled at uni and quit my job. 2 weeks later I was in uni and the company went into liquidation resulting in 2/3 of the shops clossing and a lot of staff redundant.

I'm now about to go into my second year of a CAD degree and not looked back! I still work for the same company as a weekend staff, and due to screw ups during the liquidation period and buy out, I'm still on assistant manager pay scale!

Loan pays for uni and drink, work pays for car
Simples!

Ninehigh

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
Student loan!

Na, after I finished my A levels I was sick of education so got a job as sales assistant for a national car accessories shop. Worked my way up to assistant manager of the largest shop in the region.

Then last september I was getting sick of the constant boredom and lack of career oppurtunities so within two days enrolled at uni and quit my job. 2 weeks later I was in uni and the company went into liquidation resulting in 2/3 of the shops clossing and a lot of staff redundant.

I'm now about to go into my second year of a CAD degree and not looked back! I still work for the same company as a weekend staff, and due to screw ups during the liquidation period and buy out, I'm still on assistant manager pay scale!

Loan pays for uni and drink, work pays for car
Simples!

Lucky barsteward!
I have been thinking of student loans but can you get them to cover a full time wage, plus the amount we'd be losing in tax credits?

NS Dev

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I'm a mechanical engineer and ticketed up as a storage tank inspector/repairer, ala Buncefield but on a bigger scale.

Did a spell managing the construction of a large oil storage teminal in the mid western states of the US. Best job I have ever had or will ever have. Shame it was only temporary.

Over here the money is ok, just.
Don't really enjoy he job though.

I worked at my last place quite a bit with a Scottish guy who was subcontracting for me, who used to do a LOT of welding on storage tanks. He qualified in the scottish shipyards and he's one of those really tough but unbeleivably kind hearted guys.

His name's Vic and his welding is, well, just about unbeleivable. He can weld upside down inside a terribly cramped heat exchanger better than I can weld on the flat in my workshop!

Anyway, didn't realise that was what you did, good job, and "proper" job in my old fashioned book!

PS still want the gearbox at some point, but no point getting it until I have a car for it to go in. Two more chevettes in soon though so will need it either by Dec or early Jan

[Edited on 20/9/09 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
My job, well, look in my signature below and follow the link.

I work for myself now restoring cars, doing motorsport prep and builds, engine conversions and all that kind of stuff.

Working on my first "sevenesque" for a chap next week, doing a pinto headgasket on a Robin Hood.

On our site you can see the more interesting stuff we're doing at the mo (its me and my brother running the business)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

scootz

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I was medically-retired on ill-health due to spine / nerve damage.

Still in my mid-30's, but in receipt of an index-linked pension which affords me a comfortable standard of living (financially).

Sounds great, but I would happily swap 'jobs' with any of you irrespective of how crappy / poorly paid your current position is. I'll bet few could last more than a couple of days in my 'job' before resigning... wish I could!

Garage time is getting less and less... most weeks I don't even get there. Had to give up the 'building' (ok - deconstructing ) side of things.

Can't just jump into a car either... has to be a VERY good back / leg day! Factor weather into the equation, and there's hardly any driving being done.

Still, I love cars, so as long as I am able... !!!

PS - Not a sympathy seeking post (Sympathy... from you lot? LOL!!!). I previously worked in a tough social environment, so I've seen enough in life to realise that compared to many, I'm actually quite a lucky barsteward!

gazza285

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Work in construction as a site manager, more specifically for a steel erecting company doing industrial projects, although we have recently spent 21 months on the South Bank building a 1000+ room hotel opposite the Houses of Parliment. Going into Scunthorpe steelworks next week for a 2 month job in the BOS plant, never a dull moment, pay is good enough.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

blakep82

posted on 20/9/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
whatever i can find at the minute...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MautoK

posted on 20/9/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Retired!
I was a Software Engineer in the Oil Industry. Enjoyed (almost) every minute of it, but must say that a small, tight company is way, way preferable to a large organisation where half the 'employees' only seem to be there to tick corporate boxes. I was twice in the situation where I joined a small (<100 employees) company that was taken over a few years later by a mega-corp. (H*ll*b*rt*n and Schl*mb*rg*r)
A few years back I inherited sufficient to pay off the mortgage and 'wing it' until pension starts in a year or so.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

lsdweb

posted on 20/9/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fire and Rescue Service. Great job but has its lows :-(

Benzine

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I work for myself now restoring cars, doing motorsport prep and builds, engine conversions and all that kind of stuff.

I can has job?

[Edited on 20/9/09 by Benzine]

Ninehigh

posted on 20/9/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

I can has job?

[Edited on 20/9/09 by Benzine]

I can has job too? Although by the look of Benzine he needs it more than me lol.

Where's Mallory Park?

coozer

posted on 20/9/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing ATM, used to be a QA Engineer in a steering column plant thats now moving to Poland....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

grusks2

posted on 20/9/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Im in the auto elctrical business, i own an installation company where we install

Handsfree CarKits, for mobile phones etc
Reversing Aid, sensors and camera
Ipod/iPhone intergration to vehicle radios
Speed Camera dectection/laser Jammers
Tracking
Telematics
DVD installation

Managed to work on some very very nice vehicles over the years, most makes of super cars, luxory cars, lorrys, a few trains and a plane, and a massive conbineharverster and a few famous people motors

Been in the game for about 12 years, hours are what ever i like as im the boss lol but you have to keep the customer happy.

Games is slowly dying due to factory fitted equipment going as standard, cars are getting harder to work on, but also most of the crap fitters out there have also left the game leaving the decent companies left doing decent work.
I was a qualified sparks before hand but got into the 12v rather than 240v

feel free to have a look at us

Essential Installation Services Ltd

and spend some money with us lol

[Edited on 20/9/09 by grusks2]

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.