Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how effective is exhasut wrap?
02GF74

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
how effective is exhasut wrap?

... going on from peedyxjs' query about master above the exhaust,
those of you have have put wrap on the headers, can you grab the exhaust by hand when engine is up to temp?

or have any measuremnts - not manufacturer's wishful thinking data - of temp. before and after?

just curious.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
anyone who has grabbed a hot exhaust wrapped or not deserves an attempted Darwin award

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
It makes a considerable difference IMHO. I can touch my wrapped exhaust sections, but the unwrapped sections are hotter than the surface of the sun (hence all my trousers have burn holes in at exhaust height!)!
t16turbotone

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 3" outlet/down pipe exiting my turbo which is double wrapped, when in the eveing and driven 'hard' you can see the turbo has a orange glow to it. But you could 'tap' the wrapped downpipe and not get burned-good stuff i think
dhutch

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i dont think you would want to hold the back of you hand in it for hours. Seconds even. But for the occasional brush when spannering in the area with a hot exhaust you get an 'Oo, thats warm, i'll move my hand' feeling rather than a 'Fk Sht Ase ive just lost half the skin on my hand' while removing the rest by recoiling so fast, sort of feeling.

Ive got a roll of the ceramic stuff of ebay too, not fitted it yet, but i feels nicerand is thicker than most og the glass stuff.

Daniel

A1

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
you can hold ceramic coated ones apparently after a drive...(?)
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
you can hold ceramic coated ones apparently after a drive...(?)

hmm I think I'd want a thermometer reading before I risked it, I have oval scars on my arms from brushing exhausts

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Who cares, why would you want to???

The aim of it is to stop raidated heat. It still gets hot though. Just because it doesnt burn, doesnt mean its not hot.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

02GF74

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Who cares, why would you want to???

the idea is to gauge the effectievnss not a propostition for everyone to go and do this.

t16turbotone

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
'the idea is to gauge the effectievnss not a propostition for everyone to go and do this'

well said that man

Davey D

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
My exhaust wrap still gets bloody hot, but it is nowhere near as hot as touching the unwrapped pipe

When i went for SVA i had some think foil backed lagging around the cat. It was double wrapped around, and you could grab hold of the cat quite easily. worked really well that stuff. i would use it under the bonnet on items to protect, but i wouldnt want it on show wrapped around all of my exhaust that is on show

t16turbotone

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ yes i know what you mean, unfortunatley most of my exhaust is wrapped at present, but it is some protection for my young girls who insist on helping dad with the car. Unwrapped i momentarly rested my forearm on exhaust whilst building it, i beared the pain untill 4am then off to a&e
Gergely

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
We have an exhaust wrap since the manifold is on the same side as the brake master cylinders and quite close. The wrap makes a big difference. But we have also added an aluminium heat shield in front of the master cylinders. This way they stay nice and cool. The other reason for us fitting the wraps was that the footwell was extremely hot in the car. We have blocked airways to the footwell, added the exhaust wrap, the heat shield and it is now nice and cool.
On the outside, if you spit on the unwrapped exhaust tubes after a drive, it sizzles, if you do the same 5 cms from the same spot on the wrap, it just slowly evaporates. I am not keen on testing by grabbing the tubes though...
Gergely

[Edited on 25/9/09 by Gergely]

Our build pictures

02GF74

posted on 25/9/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
Unwrapped i momentarly rested my forearm on exhaust whilst building it, i beared the pain untill 4am then off to a&e

wuss!!!! 6 am is the least we can expect from a locostbuilder . you never seen the opening sequence in TV series Kung Fu?

GrumpyOne

posted on 25/9/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote

wuss!!!! 6 am is the least we can expect from a locostbuilder . you never seen the opening sequence in TV series Kung Fu?

I know the bit you mean with the hot pot. If it was a £5 note he held out for Grasshopper to snatch in the other bit, my wife would beat him everytime.

[Edited on 25/9/09 by GrumpyOne]

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

hughpinder

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember that wrapping the exhaust can cause problems with some engines as the temperature of the cylinder head can be much higher, as the heat is not as well dissipated. I stand to be corrected though.

Just something to think about
Regards
Hugh

02GF74

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ yep, it could be, also you do not wrap cast iron manifolds either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.