Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HID Headlight conversions. has anyone used them yet?
cosmick

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
HID Headlight conversions. has anyone used them yet?

I am thinking about upgrading my headlights to the new H4 HID Bi Xenon bulbs with the ballast. I have been looking at the advantage of fitting them to a BEC. One of the reasons for thinking about the change is that the xenon bulbs only draw 35 watts as oposed to 55/60. So, I should get a much brighter path in front of me and be pulling less out of the charging system.
I drive at all times with my lights on to encourage other drivers to see me. I have also driven home in the dark and currently it is not a pleasant experience.
I would like to hear from other people who have fitted these. How easy were they to fit? Where did you fit the ballast? Where did you buy from? etc etc.

andyharding

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
There conversions are illegal unless 1) the headlight was originally designed for HID 2) auto leveling system is fitted. Lots of boy racer arse holes fit them round here and they are a PITA dazzling oncoming drivers. If you fit them expect to become a target for pissed off dazzled drivers. Also expect to fail MOT with them.

[Edited on 17/1/10 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

eddie99

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think it would be illegal in a kit car because you can argue its not a modification!
Plus if you line them up, they dont dazzle other drivers either...

[Edited on 17/1/10 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JohnN

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted them to cars (only H7 type bulbs, not H4's) but not a seven type headlight. Mine went into projector style headlights which were originally fitted with halogen bulbs.

However, I'm pretty convinced that the ballast will have to go inside the headlamp, due to the high voltages involved. Whether there is the space I couldn't comment, but I imagine it would be tight.

Finally, I guess there is a need to try and make the enclosure as watertight as possible and ensure that there's a drain hole at the bottom.

There is the usual argument of dazzle if fitted in a traditional reflector headlight, but as long as they're properly adjusted they should be OK. They'll certainly ensure you're noticed!

I bought mine from www.hids-direct.co.uk where I had no problem exchanging a faulty ballast

twinturbo

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you need a was system with them?

TT

tegwin

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Someone had retro fitted them into my Seat Leon Cupra R when I bought it.... they were very bright, but the pattern was all wrong.... the light was in the wrong place and it actually made driving harder..

My polo GTI has proper HID bulbs fitted as standard with projector lenses..... the patern is perfect and the lights are AMAZING... They have washers and self leveling devices..

Get some of those hella enclosures with projector lenses and you might be ok... dont even think about it in a "normal" 7" defuser....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cosmick

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind the firmness of the suspension on a 7 and the fact that i do tend to adjust the headlights to shine on the road in front of me, i don't think i would be dazzling on coming cars. My main concern is actually being able to drive safely and at night. I do not want to fit 80/100 bulbs as the charging system will not cope with it. I am also concerned about how hot the bulbs get. Apparently the HID bulbs run cooler like a Flourescent light does. So lower temperature, lower demand and brighter lights seems to be a win win situation, (apart from the legality).
tegwin

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
Bearing in mind the firmness of the suspension on a 7 and the fact that i do tend to adjust the headlights to shine on the road in front of me, i don't think i would be dazzling on coming cars. My main concern is actually being able to drive safely and at night. I do not want to fit 80/100 bulbs as the charging system will not cope with it. I am also concerned about how hot the bulbs get. Apparently the HID bulbs run cooler like a Flourescent light does. So lower temperature, lower demand and brighter lights seems to be a win win situation, (apart from the legality).

You will dazzle yourself instead..... you dont want all that white light directed at the road infront of the car... it doesnt help!

Your best bed IMHO would be to get some of those trick philips nightvision halogeon bulbs and perhaps look at fitting a bigger alternator... unless you change the lens to a projector type!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cosmick

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Get some of those hella enclosures with projector lenses and you might be ok... dont even think about it in a "normal" 7" defuser....

Do Hella do a 5 3/4" headlight that will fit in a Westfield Headlight? i would be willing to change the lense if I could improve the lights in some other way.

Danozeman

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Iv got 7 inch headlights on mine and have no trouble seeing in the dark

As for the hids you need a wash system on them to be legal aswell and clear not paterned lenses. Im sure someone on here has fitted them though,.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dlatch

posted on 17/1/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
this is the response i got from the DFT

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (RVLR), as amended, govern the use of all lights on motor vehicles. All lamps must be used so as to avoid undue dazzle or discomfort for other road users.

The regulations measure light intensity at various points of the beam pattern on a flat screen 25m from the light source. If you look at a light while standing 25m away, the light intensity measured at your eyes should be the same as that measured in the test. However, a small point source may be perceived as being much brighter.

The Department is concerned about the risk of dazzle from such headlamps and we have sponsored research into the safe limits for glare and how these might be achieved without adversely affecting a driver's ability to see the road ahead adequately. The results of this research were used in discussions with our colleagues in the European Community and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe about the regulatory control of vehicle front lighting systems. Agreement was reached recently on a regulation to permit adaptive lighting systems to be fitted to vehicles. These lights can modify the beam pattern depending on driving conditions and there is the option to include a town pattern which is intended to reduce glare when driving in built up areas.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (RVLR) prescribe the fitment and use of lights on vehicles. Under Regulation 27 of the RVLR it is prohibited to use a headlamp which causes undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road. The enforcement of this Regulation would be carried out by the Police and the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). However, it would need to be clear that the lights were causing a problem and checking the headlamp aim at the roadside is very difficult (they are checked as a matter of course at the MoT inspection). The level and manner of Police enforcement of road traffic law is an operational matter for the individual Chief Officers of Police.

Yours sincerely

Martin Rogers

DfT – Transport Technology and Standards

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dlatch

posted on 17/1/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
so make your own conclusions
but i have a set fitted to my citroen ZX and i am in no doubt they have all ready saved a pedestrians life due to the fact with the better lighting i could see them walking down a single track country lane all in black

been running them for a few months now and they do give a vast improvemnet in light i went with the white 4300k bulbs and its this imo that makes them so good. to this date and two months of use i have yet to be flashed by other drivers and i don't consider them dazzling at all but as a sidenote the headlights are correctly aligned and not pointing to the sky.

The HID lights were originally designed to be used with projector lamps and thats where all the stuff about self lvling and wash ect comes from

For a 7 type kit though i would prob go for one of these halogen xenon bulb upgrades as i am not sure how long they would last bouncing about on a kitcar

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosmick

posted on 17/1/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the update.

I would have thought that as the HID Bulbs have no filament that they would last longer than a tungsten bulb.
I am of the same opinion as you that if aimed correctly, there is little chance of dazzling.

I would still like to here from anyone who has actually fitted them to a 7. Especially 5 3/4" Headlights with Hi/Lo.

adithorp

posted on 17/1/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
Thanks for the update.

I would have thought that as the HID Bulbs have no filament that they would last longer than a tungsten bulb.
I am of the same opinion as you that if aimed correctly, there is little chance of dazzling.

I would still like to here from anyone who has actually fitted them to a 7. Especially 5 3/4" Headlights with Hi/Lo.

The reason for the required wash system is that the light from HID's is easily deflected by grim/dirt on the lens. So it doesn't matter that you check your alignment regularly; You need a wash system to constantly clean them.
As the leveling and wash system are/was required for IVA/SVA then retro-fitting without one would be an illegal modification I think .

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 17/1/10 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fit standard wattage high tech halogen bulbs they make a much bigger difference than you would think possible and are 100% legal.

Don't get the blue type --- that is just a gimmick.

DorsetStrider

posted on 18/1/10 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I didnt think it would be illegal in a kit car because you can argue its not a modification!
Plus if you line them up, they dont dazzle other drivers either...

[Edited on 17/1/10 by eddie99]

These kits are illegal.

HID headlights MUST be automatically self leveling and have washer/wipers for the glass to prevent dazzle... this is a direct quote from both VOSA and DfT.

I've also head a rumour (don't know how true) that as of next year the MOT test will be changing specifically to prevent any vehicle with HID that does not self level passing.

Oh and the little switch some cars have inside to change the angle of the light does not count as self leveling as it requires an input from the driver.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

jeffw

posted on 18/1/10 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
My A6 does a self levelling test when you turn the key and the auto lights are on. As previously stated HID bulbs in a standard pattern lens are illegal and potentially blinding to other road users.

Grimsdale

posted on 18/1/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatchFor a 7 type kit though i would prob go for one of these halogen xenon bulb upgrades as i am not sure how long they would last bouncing about on a kitcar

I got some osram ones probably about 15,000 miles ago and still going strong

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/1/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
For any one whose interested Trillogy were doing H4 HID kits for £99 at the Autosport show and I think that was the standard price not a show special.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

aitch

posted on 18/1/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
no experience on cars
but have HIDS fitted to bike from HIDs4u that claim to have same pattern as original

i dont see how light from a HID would be any more difflected by grit, dirt, grime than any light from another source??? light is light whatever the source.

and for sure i can now see at night which is a safety improvement, i have never been flashed by another driver for dazzling them and have passed MOT

aitch xx

flak monkey

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
My Leon has had 6000k HIDs fitted from hids4u - fitted by previous owner. Its passed previous MOT's with them in as well, at the time all that was said is that as long as the beam pattern is correct and not blurry they are fine.

Never been flashed by any other drivers indicating they are dazzling, that said I keep my lights clean.

Also they seem to light up the signs at the side of the road a lot LESS than the scattered light of filament bulbs.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

robinj66

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of guys have fitted them to their Cobra's without problems. Have alook at some of the links here Cobra forum

Somewhere in there is a thread going into the legalities - they are not illegal on kit cars.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.