Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Frist Vosa test today in Leighton Buzzard for Viento...
phil4521

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Frist Vosa test today in Leighton Buzzard for Viento...

8am in the rain. 4 hrs later I had failed but nothing too serious- the examiner was an experienced and good guy, v helpful and explained what he was doing. So back in a couple of week after fixing things- job done just in time for cold weather

Key points of note:

Speed was fine then dropped off massively when he got to 70mph- looks like sensor gap to magnet but no way to test unless I fork out for a RR so will take tools and adjust again on retest if I need.

Brake bias - too little on fronts but not linear- worked fine on heavy foot but not soft braking-how to test again without RR?

Spark plug cables now need to have branding every 120mm- can you believe it so need new set.

Now need directional indicators on my front wings- the ones I fitted on side panels wont do according to new regs

Lots of radius projections to fix including the weld edging on my 4-1 exhaust pipe joins and the bevel edges on front mushrooms

Wiring- I need a telltale to show sidelights are on as my instruments lights are on all the time- not good enough

Need a label saying don't mess with bias bar settings- now compulsory to go with my brake reservoir one I had on.

Overall a stressful and great experience but another £90 + to come....

blakep82

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
No need for a rolling road for checking the speedo gap. Put the back of the car on wooden blocks so the wheels are off the ground, sit in the car and test.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

adithorp

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hard luck.

Brakes might just be a case of not bedded in enough. Did you drive there and give them a good hamering? It might improve once you've put more front bias on.

Indicators and ignition leads have come up a few times recently. Make sure you "perminently" disconnect the old side repeaters when you fit new ones as thats a fail.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Local friendly MoT place will be able to test brakes.
adithorp

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Local friendly MoT place will be able to test brakes.

But that might not show his problem as the MOT test for brakes is not the same as the IVA one. IVA do it with a presure guage between the testers foot and the pedal and check the brakes at various amounts of pedal presure.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

phil4521

posted on 10/8/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for feedback on testing speedo- yes of course great idea- I can do that.

No I didn't blat the car to the VOSA station but will do next time and change bias as well.

No an MOT station wont do it as you say VOSA do progressive pressure testing so will have to guess it....

andy188

posted on 10/8/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
good bunch at leighton, where i had mine svad, had issiues with my brakes as well, especially with balance, mot test station is where i had mine reckecked, (had to replace cylinders and shoes in the end). had to replace my ignition leads as well, strict on radious edges, (add lots of protection to edges of parts, ie lights, panels, brackets etc) not sure what materials you can use these days.
stevegough

posted on 10/8/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
what markings are supposed to be on the HT leads? - First time I've heard of that one? - I got a complete new set from wwwperformanceleads.co.uk - they are marked up with the manufacturer's www(as above).

I also thought the mushroom top would come in to the new exempted area bounded by the wishbones? (maybe it's just outside, though?)

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

wilkingj

posted on 11/8/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb on Brakes is the front MUST lock up before the rears.
Its a way of testing in your street and winding up the neighbours

I failed twice on front to back ballance. Its not something you can get right easily. Without a IVA set of rollers you are on a hiding to nothing.
As said above MoT only do efficiency and not F/R ballance.

IF it fails next time, talk very very nicely to the man, and say you cant adjust randonly for ever etc etc. They will probably go for a coffee whilst you DONT adjust the brakes. You are NOT allowed to tinker or adjust the car during the test, hence their "Tea break" (So they dont see you do it)

They let me adjust mine until was right, then I had to go back for a retest as the roll pins needed fitting in new places. (Take a battery drill?) (SVA insisted that the adjuster bar was locked with roll pins to prevent adjustment, but that was 5 years ago, its IVA rules now)

Passed 3rd time, easily.
IVA blokes are usually very good, and want to pass your car, but they wont break the rules.
Also if you car is neat and tidy, and looks like you took care in assembling / building it, they know you have done your best, and will help within their rules, but they wont break them!

Certainly not a bad fail... you are almost there in getting your car finally on the road... Then its only the DVLA... Hmmm... IVA was easy in comparison

Cheers and well done.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

(SVA insisted that the adjuster bar was locked with roll pins to prevent adjustment, but that was 5 years ago, its IVA rules now)

For IVA you can use lockwire instead of pins

stevegough

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

(SVA insisted that the adjuster bar was locked with roll pins to prevent adjustment, but that was 5 years ago, its IVA rules now)

For IVA you can use lockwire instead of pins

Yeah, lockwire AND the sticker near the master cylinder with the details about 'adjusting the bias may invalidate the use of the vehicle'

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

phil4521

posted on 12/8/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your support. The IVA guy said I can use wire and he will let me adjust brake bar it if I need to- so I will take tools to do this if I must- yes the balance was non linear- so not easy to get it right without progressive pressure test of the IVA rollers.
The spark plugs leads were a total surprise- will need to get a new non fleabay set now.

On the mushrooms- this surprised me- the new rules need reading carefully- I am going to have to cover up quite a few areas around the suspension on the inner wheel side including the light mounting bracket edges.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.