Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento IVA pass ... well almost...
phil4521

posted on 4/9/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Viento IVA pass ... well almost...

Went back for my retest yesterday at Leighton Buzzard. Past everything except the brake bias. During the 2 hours the inspector let me adjust it and run the test again and this time it was fine BUT I was not allowed to pin the bias bar to new position as no drilling allowed on site! ans we have run out of the 2 hour slot- so need to take it back next week (and another £90) just to show them the bar is locked and retest the brakes one more time.

So here's the thing- what are the rules on locking the brake bar? I read a thread that said in Nottingham VOSA test centre, nylock nuts are OK? This is what I had. Well that's not universally the case- the inspector wanted nuts pinned or lock-wired to show they cannot move at all- so make sure you have some way to adjust and re-lock the nuts otherwise like me you will have to go back again.

The other annoying thing (and opportunity) is that I could not pressure test the brakes at different pressures as required other than using the VOSA station as garages don't have pressure pad - the inspector was suggesting buying a pressure pad and then this test can be replicated as part of pre-IVA check. Anyone know if this has been done by a garage anywhere? Its the RELATIVE pressure they check so accurate calibration is not really an issue - so equipment can be cheap- seen any gear anywhere?

Once I get the certificate next week I need to get the car to the Borhamwood VOSA office so they can 'check' the VIN prior to registration. So more money to get it trailored as I am not allowed to drive it I am told. Anyone know if there is away to avoid this?

Thanks

bigpig

posted on 4/9/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look back. I'm sure it was done before using a clutch slave cylinder and a pressure guage. Just stick that between your food and the pedal.
Irony

posted on 4/9/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I feel for you mate, I have all this to come with my Viento V8 so I am subscribing to your threads with interest.

Good Luck

Paul (Notts)

posted on 4/9/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had my lock nuts on the bias bar pre drilled and when the bloke at nottingham was happy with the bias test I took the car to the car park and ran a drill through to fit a roll pin. returned to the centre and got my certificate.

Think the tester was in a good mood that day.

Paul

good luck.

Blackbird Rush

posted on 4/9/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I passed (retest) at leighton buzzard this week and spoke to the chap about the brake test (mine failed on this at the first test but only as the bar was not locked in any way - brake pressures were fine) so i went away and welded it up and fixed the other fails too.

If you are pin locking the bar then you also must have a sticker that says not to adjust it, details are in the IVA manual.

I'm just filling in the forms to send over to Borhamwood, hoping they wont need an inspection but they probably will, which means a trailer and a day of work too.

Since driving the car to leighton buzzard i've now got withdrawal symptoms.

[Edited on 4/9/10 by Blackbird Rush]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.