Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: French fuel fiasco
splitrivet

posted on 19/10/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
French fuel fiasco

Was hoping to drive down to my house in France this weekend for a week but the fuel embargo thing is giving me the eeby jeebies.
I know there are a few guys on the site based in SW France who post here, is it as bad as the media make out.
Dont want to make my way there and not able to make it back.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

balidey

posted on 19/10/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
jerry cans?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/10/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
My mum lives in the Charente and drove 40km to get fuel on Monday. Yes, I agree, kind of defeats the object, but that's not for me to say.

I can get to hers and back on a tank (about 680miles) but would have to keep the speed down.

Matt

MikeCapon

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
All OK round here. The usual morons filling jerry cans and causing a few queues from time to time but fuel is available everywhere. Presumably once the jerry can brigade have filled every available receptacle it should quieten down again.

How far is your house anyway Bob? You shouldn't need more than one fill over here unless you're in the Pyrenees...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
jerry cans?

Yup, the Jerrys (sp!) are always popular with the French

Zut alor!

steve m

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think your allowed to carry fuel in cans on ferrys/tunnel ?

Steve

Liam

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Steve

That's what i thought.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 19/10/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
All OK round here. The usual morons filling jerry cans and causing a few queues from time to time but fuel is available everywhere. Presumably once the jerry can brigade have filled every available receptacle it should quieten down again.

How far is your house anyway Bob? You shouldn't need more than one fill over here unless you're in the Pyrenees...

My place is in the Charente Mike, I can make it on a full tank going down but its the haul back I'm worried about. The French Gov say they arent changing their position and due to the nature of the dispute I cant see it getting better over the next 2 weeks especially with what Matt says.
Fuel in cans in the Tunnel isnt an option especially with the amount I'd need to carry.
Cheers,
Bob

nick205

posted on 19/10/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon

My place is in the Charente Mike, I can make it on a full tank going down but its the haul back I'm worried about. The French Gov say they arent changing their position and due to the nature of the dispute I cant see it getting better over the next 2 weeks especially with what Matt says.
Fuel in cans in the Tunnel isnt an option especially with the amount I'd need to carry.
Cheers,
Bob

Anyone local to your house who could fill some cans for you before you set off? Kind of adding to the problem I know, but at least you'd be assured of getting back.

02GF74

posted on 19/10/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Steve

That's what i thought.

In that case put it in carrier bags, cable tied round the top to stop evaporation.

jimgiblett

posted on 19/10/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have a track day this weekend 40m NE of Paris. Before I was only worried about the weather but now...

In fact I have checked and once you are outside Calais there is fuel but just not as plentiful as usual.

If I run out of fuel will my international breakdown take me to the nearest petrol station with fuel?

- Jim

Guinness

posted on 19/10/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
It'll all die a quiet death shortly.

As soon as the petrol stations run out of fuel, they won't be able to fill up any petrol bombs or burn any cars, so the French method of protest is effectively over!

vtecmike

posted on 19/10/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
im in the charente and its pretty bad, most of the super markets have run out, and your not allowed to fill up jerry cans either, i nearly run out of fuel yesterday, but managed to get some in a little station but even that 1 s run out now!
splitrivet

posted on 19/10/10 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have the Mousqetaires in Confolens and Lisle Jourdain run out Mike.
Cheers,
Bob

MikeCapon

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Have the Mousqetaires in Confolens and Lisle Jourdain run out Mike.
Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob. Not sure where these ones are but the Mousquetaires (Intermarche) next to me (Morestel and La Tour du Pin) have both still got petrol and diesel although Morestel was out of diesel t'other day.

If it all gets too bad most of us have tanks full of pinky coloured diesel to keep our houses warm *cough*

vtecmike

posted on 20/10/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
well dont know about confolens, but sunday night coming back from the vigeant race track we couldnt get diesel for the van, civray, ruffec were all out of diesel, intermarché were all empty,

thanks mike

Ninehigh

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
It'll all die a quiet death shortly.

As soon as the petrol stations run out of fuel, they won't be able to fill up any petrol bombs or burn any cars, so the French method of protest is effectively over!

They can still block the ports...

What's the fuel protest about? I heard something about bringing the retirement age up 2 years...

jimgiblett

posted on 27/10/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Well apart from one 60mile excursion (Chateau Thierry was dry) had no problem with fuel the whole weekend.

Discovered another excellent track (Ecuyers - 30m NE of Paris) 90Euros for car and two people (incl free coffee on arrival, lunch and a glass of champagne). Open pit lane, newly built 3.5km circuit, sensible noise limits.

Even came home with a cup for FLOTD

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.