Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb Problems
Mk-Ninja

posted on 13/6/04 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Carb Problems

I went round to a friends yesterday to give him a blast in the car. I set off up the road after picking him up. Id only gone 1/2 mile (reasonably quick) when all of a sudden Im on 3 cylinders, stopped and had a look round for any obvious bits hanging off. Limped it back to his house, pulled the plugs out and No 2 is dripping wet. Whilst checking for a spark with all the plugs out theres fuel being forced out on No2 cylinder. Took the air box off and theres 1/2" of fuel sat on top of the butterfly/throttle valve. Took the carb bowl off and checked the float for damage, took the float valve out, it looks perfect. Put it all back together, started it up and it ran fine. Drove it back home without problems, but didnt get chance to give it any stick.
So goes out today, cars running fine, then at a suitable point opened it up, but within 1/4 mile I had to stop at some lights and as I pull away Im on 3 cylinders again, with a strong smell of fuel, it then seamed to clear so I drive it slowly home. I then strip down the affending carb but still nothing to see.

Any suggestions please.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

timcrasher

posted on 13/6/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Gordon,
It sound like the float needle valve is not shutting off. Is it is possible that some dirt or something has blocked the jet and prevented the needle seating correctly?
Have you run the tank low and it has drawn some crap out of the tank?
Another thing to check is that the jets are all tight and the needles/ diaphragms are returning properly. I had a dynojetted bike with the same symptoms and the main jet had not been tightened fully when it was changed.
I did think it may have been to do with fuel pressure but that normally causes more than one carb to flood.
Hope you get sorted for next weekend, cos I,m looking forward to our convoy
Cheers Tim

Mk-Ninja

posted on 13/6/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim. Ive stripped the offending carb down three times and it is as clean as a whistle. When I took them apart today I tried to blow down the feed pipe to the carbs and cant get any sepage of air just with the weight of the loat on the valve.
Im realy puzzled. Ive even lowered the fuel level a bit to hopefully stop it flooding.
Just have to see how it goes.

Gordon

Mk-Ninja

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ive still got a problem with flooding on one carb.
Ive replaced the neadle valve checked the float height, and blasted out the fuel ways in the carb.
The strange thing is that it runs/drives fine untill you nail it and then stop or slow right down. It will clear eventualy but is a bastard to drive on 3 cylinders and it cant be doing the engine any good.

Any help / sugestions will be most apreciated

Gordon

JoelP

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
i have two spare carbs on my c1 engine if thats any use. Just to borrow, of course, as i need it one day! if they are compatible just let me know.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Bob C

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Gordon - sorry to hear the beast is playing up, You kept the airbox, I was just wondering if the weight/support of this was leading to frothing in one carburetter float chamber? I've never seen examples of frothing in real life but have read about it being a possibility & it's an alternative route to mixture problems if the float & needle are OK.
Cheers
Bob

Mk-Ninja

posted on 7/8/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer Joel but the E1 has different carbs with throttle position etc and dont know if they would work.

I think I will have to bite the bullet and and get someone who knows what they are doing to set them up.

I dont know if I should dynajet it first.

OX

posted on 7/8/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
i cant remember what the floats look like on a zxr but has the float got a hole in it or cracked

Mk-Ninja

posted on 8/8/04 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
The floats OK but I will do as you suggested and swap the parts to a different carb and see if the fault moves chears OX for the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.