Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LHD & weight issues
gys

posted on 13/6/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
LHD & weight issues

Hi,

I got interested in BEC 7's, but have a few question in regard to these cars.

Do all engines fit in the chassis presented in 'the book' (Champion, R.)
I don't particularly like the design, but it's a reference...

In all the pictures I have seen the engine is tilted to the left. Is there a clearance problem to run a LHD setup?

Most IRS-cars run a Sierra differential. Are there lighter options than this differential that are commonly available (and suitable).

Most of the interest is based on weight, or better absence of it. What is a realistic curb weight target for a BEC 7, when taken to the max? 350-400 kg?
What is the best engine choice based on power/weight ratio (and costs ).

I would like to apologize for questions asked in the wrong forum and to thank everbody for their replies.

[Edited on 13/6/04 by gys]

phelpsa

posted on 13/6/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
In order:

Most

Yes (ask westfield)

Yes (Westfield use freelander diff)

400 at the lightest

CBR1000, GSXR1100, Hayabusa (We all wish)

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 13/6/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
we should make a table of bhp/ton/pound. could be interesting!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

sebastiaan

posted on 14/6/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Gys,

Afaik the combo's indy/blackbird (cbr1100) and indy/blade are not a problem as far as steering column routing is concerned.

If you're from holland, i suggest you get on the phone to luc haselier (www.haselier.nl) as he's the dutch MK importer and has built a number of LHD BEC's. Decent guy, too.

Jasper

posted on 14/6/04 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
As for engine choice - search this section, lots of previous posts.
Mave

posted on 18/6/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
LHD and BEC is not really a problem. Caterham USA places the engine more to the right to create room, and use a chaindrive to put propshaft in center. It's a really nice looking arrangement.

In my photoarchive you can see my version

[Edited on 18/6/04 by Mave]
Chassis with Hayabusa LHD
Chassis with Hayabusa LHD

[Edited on 19/6/04 by Mave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterGT4

posted on 19/6/04 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave
LHD and BEC is not really a problem. Caterham USA places the engine more to the right to create room, and use a chaindrive to put propshaft in center. It's a really nice looking arrangement.

In my photoarchive you can see my version

[Edited on 18/6/04 by Mave]

If I'm not mistaken, any and all of complete LHD BEC Caterhams are assembled by a shop here in B.C. Canada. His company goes under the name of "Super Seven Cars" to get around some of our tough import regulations so that they can be sold and run here (but for all intents-and-purposes, they're still Caterhams).

Check out their website for more details of the chain drive (which by the way is a beautifully executed system. I'm thinking more and more of going this route with my Locost), but here are a series of pictures:

http://www.super7cars.com/ Rescued attachment 03Vint17.jpg
Rescued attachment 03Vint17.jpg

PeterGT4

posted on 19/6/04 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Engine-bay view: Rescued attachment 03Vint18.jpg
Rescued attachment 03Vint18.jpg

PeterGT4

posted on 19/6/04 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
Chain drive detail: Rescued attachment 03Vint20.jpg
Rescued attachment 03Vint20.jpg

erwe

posted on 19/6/04 at 05:07 AM Reply With Quote
LHD

I've build one for track use only.
See my site for details http://www.seven-nl.tk
The engine is placed about 100 mm to the left for te weight thing and to have more room for the steering. The prop shaft is also about 100 mm off centre but that's no problem.
Question: On the picture I see that the air box has moved by som tubes, does sombody has experience with this?

Mave

posted on 19/6/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, I finally figured out how to attach a picture. (see earlier post)

But indeed, I refered to super7cars.com, I only assumed they were based in USA. Their installation is very neat. You might be able to install an electric reverse in that chaindrive too, somewhere.

This would definately be my choice for a LHD BEC.

Erwe's solution clearly also works (I've seen it with my own eyes).

gys

posted on 19/6/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, so it is possible or clearance can be created to make it possible.
Did some searching on the engines and apparently most people use 900cc upwards from the Japanese superbikes (Hayabusha, R1, Fireblade, Blackbird, ZX12, ..., ...)

@erwe:
Don't find the track car - only the new project - on your site, but I believe I spotted a picture in the 'superbike brake'-topic.

@Mave:
Which engine and diff did you use in the CAD-model (looks like SolidWorks), and can it be found somewhere...

marcotuinenburg

posted on 19/6/04 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The Westfield importer here in Holland also has a nice way to overcome the problem of the left hand drive.
They are using a RHD steeringrack and the steering rod is going over the engine to the left side of the car. It's a cheap way to overcome the problem.

Hellfire

posted on 19/6/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
That is a lovely example of a Se7en... very tidy

alister667

posted on 19/6/04 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erwe
I've build one for track use only.
See my site for details http://www.seven-nl.tk
The engine is placed about 100 mm to the left for te weight thing and to have more room for the steering. The prop shaft is also about 100 mm off centre but that's no problem.
Question: On the picture I see that the air box has moved by som tubes, does sombody has experience with this?

Unless I'm mistaken (hey, let's face it, it's happened before!) he has moved the carbourettors/injectors, and the airbox ALL out of the way using stainless steel pipes. A friend of mine is intending to do this with his GSXR1000 and will be very interested in these pics. Stupid question, but does the engine run well enough?? I'd expect this sort of mod to the inlet manifold would affect the power perhaps in a small way?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

Mave

posted on 19/6/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Gys,

yes, it's a SolidWorks drawing. The engine is a Hayabusa. Diff is supposed to represent a Sierra's. But I think I would go for the Freelander diff.

First I have to finish my Indy though, before starting on this design. Nevetheless it's very cool to think about the design.

gys

posted on 21/6/04 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Found the hayabusha file (DP1).

What parts must you have from the bike?

For some modern car engines you will need the engine, ECU, display, steering lock and keys (immobiliser) to get it running.

Do you also need all those parts for modern bike-eninges? Only the latest models with injection or ...?

PeterGT4

posted on 22/6/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave
... Their installation is very neat. You might be able to install an electric reverse in that chaindrive too, somewhere...

He uses a separate reverse gearbox, inline with the driveshaft. I'm not sure if its the one from Quaife...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.