Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New toy (tool) acquired
nick205

posted on 21/11/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
New toy (tool) acquired

Been after replacing my old Hitachi mitre saw with a bigger sliding mitre saw for a while and treated myself this weekend to an Evolution Rage 3. I was attracted (and if I'm honest a little sceptical) by it's claims to cut wood and metal with the same blade. Having tried it out with 4x2 timber, 3mm Ally angle and 1.6mm Steel box all I can say is what a fantastic tool. Does exactly what it says on the tin!

http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/evolution_rage3.html

Looking at the Evolution Tools website, there's an offer for free blades if you've got an interesting use for your tool. Guess what...the current winner's story is a guy using the same saw to cut up all the steel for a Locost build...

[url=http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/your_rage/murtaza_hussain.html]http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/your_rage/murtaza_hussain.html[/ur l]

[Edited on 21/11/10 by nick205]

[Edited on 21/11/10 by nick205]

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/11/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I got me one of these last year to do the steel work on my chassis. They are great, however I would say make sure the steel your working on is WELL clamped down and go slow. You'll be buying blades every 6 weeks or so if you try to rush it.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Loud ain't they

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

NigeEss

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Got one a couple of years ago, excellent but the shrapnel it kicks out is f*&ck!n hot

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

MakeEverything

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
All of the above.

Bought mine for £40 from B&Q on offer. Ive got a hand held one too.

Ive cut metal and Oak on mine. You need to cut slowly and let the blade work properly. Beware the shrapnel from metal is very hot, very sharp and flies up to about 3 metres. Dont use it near the car or with anyone else around.

I would use ear defenders, gloves and eye protection every time.

Good kit though.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

nick205

posted on 22/11/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Loud ain't they

Yes, but not as loud as my old Hitachi one and the soft start feature makes it far less violent to use too

Out of the box it came with sponge ear defenders and goggles, not sure if this is a legislation thing, but good to see in any case.

mikeb

posted on 22/11/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
ear defenders a must,
they came and took a picture of my chassis a couple of years ago and I got some free blades. Think there still stacked in the garage somewhere.
I even got a lush evolution t-shirt a size to small with I love powertools on the front, I thought it was the car that broke my marrage up, perhaps it was wearing the t-shirt that did it!

omega0684

posted on 22/11/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
i've had mine for about 6 months, lets just says it has cut through anything i have put under it!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.