Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharging through bike carbs
Craigorypeck

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Supercharging through bike carbs

Anyone on here done it?
Maybe an M45 geared up to give around 6psi.
Blowing through a set of bike carbs
Can the float bowl be pressurized via the breather vent?
Will the slider operate as normal?
As the pressure will be linear will fuelling be setup as per usual?
What boost will bike carbs handle?
I have a red top and filter king, would that be sufficient?
Any info would be great!
Cheers

[Edited on 13/12/10 by Craigorypeck]

rayward

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
some interested reading here

Ray

Craigorypeck

posted on 13/12/10 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
some interested reading here

Ray

Thanks, it's been book marked!!

atspeed racing

posted on 13/12/10 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I remember a friend of mine tried this with a stromberg carb years ago and it was a fail!!
The Stromberg carb has a rubber diaphram like a bike carb and we run into all sorts of dramas, we believe due to that.
We gave up in the end with set up, and we replaced it with an SU, wasnt a problem from then on. If you used an SU, you can get one from a MG turbo and bolt it straight on.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Craigorypeck

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking that would be the case regarding the slider...
A set of turbo 45 dells would be a good option. Expensive and hard to find!
I'll have a look at the MG option maybe.. Is that a draw thru setup?
Thanks

andkilde

posted on 13/12/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Might be easier to setup with bike TB's and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. A lot less jiggery pokery than carbs would be. Though you would need to fit a suitable ECU...

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
atspeed racing

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
The MG Metro SU is a blow through. You will need to get a rising rate fuel pressure reg and a high pressure pump, all available of the shelf, easy to calibrate and reliable. No ECU no trickery....and cheap!!
If you where to take the option of Webers or Dellortos, you will need to modify them as most of them are not suited to blow through.
You could use a 2 inch SU from a Jag, and use this as a suck through. I have calibrated this setup on a Pre war supercharged Bentley. went really well. Over 250 BHP at the tyres at 1800RPM.
As this is a supercharged engine, this might be the way to go?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Craigorypeck

posted on 13/12/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
If at all possible I'd like to keep the ecu and wiring to a minimum.
I have a megajolt for 3D ignition, thats as far as I'd like to go.
I think for turbo motors an injected ecu is prob a must but as a supercharger is linear, fuelling should be easily done on a carb??
A kit can be got from dellorto.co.uk to convert regular DHLA's into turbo models, spindle bearings that seal and a top cover with a float bowl pressure connection.
Are choke sizes as important when being force fed??
I have a set of DHLA 40s with 34mm chokes, these would be restrictive on my engine if I was to run N/A, but would they work ok being blown on?
Is a blow off valve necessary on a charger?
Cheers

[Edited on 13/12/10 by Craigorypeck]

FASTdan

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to convery my XR2 turbo (currently turbo technics converted, using the standard weber 32/34DFT) to turbo-bike carbs. Surely it cant be that impossible as there are many turbo'd bikes about?

Renault 5 turbo carbs are popular in the XR2 circles for a cheap turbo option, but I want something different.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

ianjenn

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
here is a supercharged pinto with bike carbs

Surely it is alos possible with a zetec

atspeed racing

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble with other peoples work is you cant see what the end result was like? Did it run but had calibration issues like we had with the Stromberg? Our car ran, but the mixture was all over the place and the consumption was very poor.
A renault 5 carb is a blow through carb, thats why it is popular on XR2's and the like.
You can use Dellortos or weber 40/45's, but you have to make sure you have blow through modified ones, otherwise it wont work.
If you had a large SU as a suck through, you shouldnt need anything special apsrt from making a manifold up.

ianjenn

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
rolling road results from pinto

his results look pretty impressive to me from a pinto

MikeRJ

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
I would like to convery my XR2 turbo (currently turbo technics converted, using the standard weber 32/34DFT) to turbo-bike carbs. Surely it cant be that impossible as there are many turbo'd bikes about?

There are very few turbo'd bikes around, the older production ones such as the CX500 and GPZ750 turbo are rare for good reason - they were pretty rubbish. Modern stuff with aftermarket turbo conversions will most always be fuel injected.

If you are going to all the hassle of changing out the original carb you'd be a lot better off with converting to fuel injection as well. Setting up bike carbs properly on a normally aspirated engine is bad enough, but add boost correction into the equation and it will be a PITA.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by MikeRJ]

FASTdan

posted on 14/12/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

If you are going to all the hassle of changing out the original carb you'd be a lot better off with converting to fuel injection as well. Setting up bike carbs properly on a normally aspirated engine is bad enough, but add boost correction into the equation and it will be a PITA.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by MikeRJ]

I dont fancy fuel injection, I like the uniqueness of the TT kit and going to injection would just make it like the millions of other RS turbo or zetec turbo'd XR2's.

Plus fitting bike carbs is a relative piece of cake for me, fabricate a manifold and plenum, bolt together. its almost swapping like for like.

My experience of bike carbs on NA has been that they are dead simple to set up? How complex it becomes with boost pressure I am not sure, but given that you can provide a boost reference to the relevant parts of the carb (floats etc) I thought it would be a decent upgrade over what I have - which itself is a NA carb boosted. Reckon it'd cost me £100 or so to convert (lots of my time of course), compared to big bucks to go EFI or the like.

Suck-through carb set-ups scare the hell out of me lol. There's something about passing fuel through a hot turbo that doesnt seem quite right!

ianjenn

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
more interesting reading
pressurise carb for turbo

Craigorypeck

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, I'm with you as regards to avoiding fuel injection and suck through chargers !

I have both a set of ZX9R's and a set of DHLA40F, the dellortos can be converted to run blow through with these-

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/Merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=DHLAturbokit&CategoryID=1&PartsectionID=1

My only concern is my dells are emission spec and cant find much info on using them to blow through but I'm at least familiar with setting them up.

Bike carbs are pretty new to me so I'll set them up to run NA and see how they run, do more research on charging them and take it from there..

Thanks for the links too!!! Good bedtime reading...

FASTdan

posted on 15/12/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianjenn
more interesting reading
pressurise carb for turbo

Thats an excellent link thanks

MikeRJ

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My experience of bike carbs on NA has been that they are dead simple to set up?

They are fairly simple to get the engine running at on "ok" level, to set them up properly is a much more complex affair. I suspect the majority of bike carb installations are somewhat less than optimal. Then again that applies to the majority of DCOE installations as well.

quote:
How complex it becomes with boost pressure I am not sure, but given that you can provide a boost reference to the relevant parts of the carb (floats etc) I thought it would be a decent upgrade over what I have - which itself is a NA carb boosted. Reckon it'd cost me £100 or so to convert (lots of my time of course), compared to big bucks to go EFI or the like.

The problem is that a carburettor is an inherently velocity sensitive device, for blow through forced induction applications you have to make them pressure sensitive as well. Simply applying boost pressure to the float chamber etc gets you back to the same state that you were with a normally aspirated set up, which isn't what you want. The mixture needs to be richened as boost pressure increases if you want you engine to last more than 5 minutes. Have a look at how the SU was modified on the Metro and Montego Turbo to cope with this.

Craigorypeck

posted on 19/12/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is that a carburettor is an inherently velocity sensitive device, for blow through forced induction applications you have to make them pressure sensitive as well. Simply applying boost pressure to the float chamber etc gets you back to the same state that you were with a normally aspirated set up, which isn't what you want. The mixture needs to be richened as boost pressure increases if you want you engine to last more than 5 minutes.

Can you enlighten me a bit further?? I thought that getting the carb to work as if it was running NA but under pressure was the ideal situation, By simply applying boost level from the air box to float bowl?

FASTdan

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I just plan on the usual rising rate regulator. I might push the boat out and get one with an adjuster screw on the top lol.

NS Dev

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I just plan on the usual rising rate regulator. I might push the boat out and get one with an adjuster screw on the top lol.

On a carb that will unfortunately do bugger all.

In terms of fuel pressure on a carb you can only have enough fuel or not enough, you can't "richen the mixture" via fuel pressure. All the fuel pressure does is open the float needle! pressurising the carb just makes the float needle work as if it didn't have force fed air on one side of it by applying it to both sides.

Its not what you'll wish to hear but injecting a turbo installation is by FAR the easiest solution. (and even then, at high boost it gets very tricky in terms of mixture distribution , charge robbing between cylinders etc etc, on the 500hp XE in our opel kadett we've hit all this! )

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

FASTdan

posted on 20/12/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
It won't do Bugger all at all. Without it there won't be any fuel on boost.

The system works.......it might be crude but I did 30k on that blown, shonky weber with fueling permanently monitored on a wideband (11.5-12.6afr thru revs).98mph terminals at York so its no slouch.

I just figured bike carbs would be a nice cheap upgrade, probably never happen tho as I'm struggling to even finish the resto.

MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craigorypeck
Can you enlighten me a bit further?? I thought that getting the carb to work as if it was running NA but under pressure was the ideal situation, By simply applying boost level from the air box to float bowl?

No, because you don't get the enrichment required as the boost increases. The SU carb used on the Metro/Montego used a second venturi at the mouth of the carb to create a pressure drop, meaning more pressure at the float chamber vent than at the jet.

You also need to consider things like whether the floats are capable of taking the pressure without collapsing, whether the throttle spindles are adequately sealed, whether the design is capable of flowing enough fuel etc. You don't want a rising rate regulator either, you simply need a standard regulator referenced to boost pressure in order to keep the fuel feed a few PSI above boost.

Carbs have always been a big compromise, and never more so than in a turbo/supercharged application. Fuel injection is the only sensible route these days IMO.

[Edited on 21/12/10 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
It won't do Bugger all at all. Without it there won't be any fuel on boost.

The system works.......it might be crude but I did 30k on that blown, shonky weber with fueling permanently monitored on a wideband (11.5-12.6afr thru revs).98mph terminals at York so its no slouch.

I just figured bike carbs would be a nice cheap upgrade, probably never happen tho as I'm struggling to even finish the resto.

As long as you feed the boost pressure to the reference port on a regulator then the fuel pressure will stay at whatever you set PLUS the boost pressure, i.e. it will compensate for the boost.

What is WON'T do will be to compensate as the boost rises and allow a fuel slope to be set to richen up the mixture as charge temps rise, (read Mike's bit above)

This might be no problem if your existing carb setup is running too rich anyway, then you'll be fine.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

FASTdan

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting mixed up there with terminology by the sounds if it, I always understood a fpr with boost reference was a 'rising rate'. I currently run one from a metro turbo - with boost ref.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.