Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Cheapo Used Harness
Tipster69

posted on 2/2/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
WTD: Cheapo Used Harness

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap, used harness if anyone could help me out. They are more than likely not going to get used more than a couple of time a year so the cheaper the better

Thanks in advance

ChrisW

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Are they for a seven-a-like? Therefore you need 'short' 4 points? Or will a pair of 3-point's be ok?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tipster69

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

They are for my MX5 for use on track - my mates use 3 points in their MX5 with the same buckets as I am getting. So I would think that the 3 points would do the job (I'm not overly clued up on harnesses, does that mean 4 points wouldn't do the job?)

Thanks in advance

ChrisW

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've got a pair of 3-point TRS 'Power' harnesses for sale. Hadn't put them on here because typically a kit car uses a 4-point, whereas 3's are intended to replace seat belts in a hot hatch.

The only thing that might be a problem for you is that I'm not keen to split them.

Here's the ad as posted elsewhere, let me know if you are interested.

Cheers, Chris

quote:

Pair of 3 point TRS 'Power' harnesses in purple for sale.

These came from my old purple XR2, I bought them new in 1999-2000-ish. I'd keep them, but they won't match the colour scheme on my project XR2. The old car got broken up due to rust so these have never been in a crash or anything like that. They've been hanging around in my workshop since the purple car was broken, about 6 years ago now, so they've got a bit grubby. Should clean up with a sponge and soapy water though.

For the sake of being completely honest about them, the stitch that holds the two shoulder straps central behind your neck has snapped on one of them. It's not a structural part of the belt, it just makes sure both sides stay equal length. Someone has obviously yanked it at some point and broken the stitch. You could stitch this back if you wanted - just regular thread will be fine as it doesn't take any load - or leave it how it is. It only really matters when you adjust the belts, so I'd put that one on the drivers side if it were me.

Click the photo for a larger view.

Looking for £50 the pair, or a close offer.

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tipster69

posted on 2/2/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the details. I will "stew on it" and get back to you.

Cheers

Edit: My Car has a roll bar (not a style bar), would this be more suitable to a 4 point harness?

[Edited on 2/2/11 by Tipster69]

mad4x4

posted on 2/2/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Word of Warning - Harnesses are a safety device. Buying a used one could end up costting you dear. If it was damaged or has previously be over stressed (in an accident) then if you have an accident it could fail.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Tipster69

posted on 2/2/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Word of Warning - Harnesses are a safety device. Buying a used one could end up costting you dear. If it was damaged or has previously be over stressed (in an accident) then if you have an accident it could fail.

Hi.

Thanks for the words of warning.

ChrisW

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, thanks for stomping on my sale

There was a good reason why I specified:

quote:
bought them new in 1999-2000-ish

...and....

quote:
old car got broken up due to rust so these have never been in a crash or anything like that

Chris

Tipster69

posted on 5/2/11 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Just an update. Please consider this request as filled, as I decided to go for new ones after the advice in this thread.

Thanks for the offer all the same Chris and good luck with the sale.

CHEERS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.