Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA FAil again....
SJC

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
IVA FAil again....

Hi

Had my retest today and unfortunately failed.

The examiner does not believe that the fuel filler hose is suitable for the job, even though it has suppliers paperwork from CBS the first time and extra paperwork from who supply CBS this time. It says 'most' types of fuel on the paperwork, therfore he does not know if it is suitable for unleaded..... the pipe is the CBS flex fuel filler hose. What are people using? I need something with a gates number so he can check back against his numbers to see if it is suitable for fuel filler.

Any suggesting on fuel filler solutions or pipe that has a gates number on it??

He also knocked back the stainless overbraid fuel pipe as he does not know if it low pressure or high pressure, the manufacturer don't mark the rubber pipe inside as it is a waste of money. I have spoken to the manufacturers and the will hopefully send me a safety data sheet.
I took a 'Fuel Hose Specification' Sheet with me that listed the info i though would be required. Even if i put low pressure pipe on it has a burst pressure of 50 Bar, which i would have though would meet the spec.......

And the self centring was not enough, really struggling with this one, i have maximum caster i can get, set the top mushroom to noon position, tyres were around 25psi, i can put more camber and extra toe in to see if that help?

Any suggestions???

Just really annoyed, it is a lot of money and hassle each time and i feel they are taking the micky in some ways.......

Cheers
Stuart

britishtrident

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Strange as it may seem the mushroom orientation has no effect at all on caster.

However it can be used to give more KPI which is the major source of self-centring.

locostbuyer83

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your tester is very picky. Mine said nothing about my fuel hoses and I've got that flexible 50mm pipe from CBS and fuel hose from CBS as well.
joemotion

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
tyres up to 40 sorted mine!
Mal

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Try increasing the tyre pressure on the front to 35psi.
Davedew

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Setting toe out will help with self centering, friend of mine did it on his Haynes Roadster to go through IVA.

Bumble

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
Setting toe out will help with self centering, friend of mine did it on his Haynes Roadster to go through IVA.

^^^^^^^^^^As he said.....Toe Out and 40 psi in the front tyres worked for me.

AndyW

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would be asking CBS for the re-test fee. If they clearly state its IVA ok and it fails on the point that it does not meet the correct criteria, then they have mis sold it and cost you the test. Thats the question I would be asking them.

Or I would write to vosa and get them to clarify that this is deff a fail, as others with the exact same pipe pass. They surely cannot have this amount of inaccuracy in the test.

Im sure there must be a way of disputing the fact.

Macbeast

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
My CBS certificate says " this is to confirm that The CBS product shown below - Flexible fuel filler hose complies with European standards DN 13 - DN 305 and is sutable for fuel delivery of petrol and diesel "

That was good enough for Gillingham VOSA - and they did check.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Neville Jones

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

However it can be used to give more KPI which is the major source of self-centring.

Oh Dear.

Mushroom orientation won't affect caster, no, but it will affect trail, which will affect self centering. If you put the ball joint all the way forward, you may pick up a little trail.( Not something I'd recommend, but that's just me.) If that doesn't work, you'll need to either put on wishbones with more caster built in, or put upper wishbone mounts on further back, or longer top mounts which will allow the wishbone to move back.

KPI will have no affect on centering. Has other affects though.

Cheers,
Nev.

SJC

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had both certificates with me today but he instantly said they were not suitable, funny how one tester at that station has passed it before...Not sure which one.......

Caterham don't have an marking on their filler pipe, spoke to sales dept today....So even if i fit one of them it still wont pass.

The only stuff i can find with Gates number is £50 plus vat a meter.

Not sure what to do.

Self centering i will keep adjust and testing till i get more.

Cheers

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think Caterham is type approved so the rules are different. I thought you could use type approved parts and they would automatically be covered. The problem would be demonstrating that it is a type approved part as most are not marked with anything interesting.

Before you pay for the next test fee it might be worth calling them up to confirm that you have information that is good enough for them. Sounds like they are being a bit harsh but it is one of those cases in life where its probably easier to put up with the stupid rules than to start arguing.

FWIW I have some filler hose from CBS that was approved. It passed the test. The hose failed within 24months (big cracks).

Good luck

Matt

Promai Joe

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I cannot help, but this is the kind of thing which makes this process a joke, the inconsistancy. My tester never even looked! He did look at other items equally stupid.

I feel your pain. Good Luck I hope your fuel filler pipe problem is resolved cheaply

zeds27

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
What IVA station was it?
ashg

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
1deg tow out and 30psi will sort it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rusty nuts

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
My Luego locost (same chassis as the Velocity , was always marginal on self centering even after being on the road for a few years. The biggest single improvement was a self aligning bearing on the steering column for about a tenner. If you look at the angled bracket where the standard Sierra column bush fits it isn't at right angles to the column and causes some binding .
BenB

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
My self-centering is pretty non existant. My examiner said "you probably want to sort that out at some point" before passing me. Personally I've never found the need
britishtrident

posted on 24/6/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Oh Dear.

Mushroom orientation won't affect caster, no, but it will affect trail, which will affect self centering. If you put the ball joint all the way forward, you may pick up a little trail.( Not something I'd recommend, but that's just me.) If that doesn't work, you'll need to either put on wishbones with more caster built in, or put upper wishbone mounts on further back, or longer top mounts which will allow the wishbone to move back.

KPI will have no affect on centering. Has other affects though.

Cheers,
Nev.

Your ignorance of steering geometry is priceless.

SJC

posted on 25/6/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeds27
What IVA station was it?

Gillingham test station, obviously different people have to jump through different hoops to get to the same result !!!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/6/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Agh Gillingham are a nightmare, they were when I did my sva, they sound even worse now.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Flippin eck!

I've been to 3 SVA / IVA's now and never ONCE has the tester queried anything like this! Never even looked at the fuel cap / hose!

It's Evolution Baby!

russbost

posted on 25/6/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to VOSA 01792 454351 or 454256.

Ask them for clarification re the fuel pipe, if they say it's ok (which I'm pretty sure they will) then ask them to speak to the tester at Gilligham (which I'll bet is a big bloke called Andy). They can't overrule the tester, but if they say it's ok & advise him as such, then you could reasonably ask for an appeals form to challenge the test decision, it is only by challenging stuff which is obviously wrong that the test will ever move forward & be fairer.

I would also check the braided hose with VOSA, particularly if you can get paperwork to clarify

Re self centering, 40psi & loads of toe out (I do mean loads) might make the car horrible & indeed unsafe to actually drive on the road, but they don't test that!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SJC

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replys.

I will give them a call on Monday, I now have examples of the different fuel pipe from the comany showing the low pressure and high pressure pipe and the obvious OD size. I have the spec sheet that has the materials, burst pressure temperature rating test standards etc. I can not see what else he needs. I just think he is being an arse...

Will also check what they have to say about the fuel filler pipe. I can send them a copy of the info i have.

Trouble is i dont want to cause to much hassel at this stage as they have me by the short and curlies as they have the power to issue me a certificate. I will however follow up after i pass.

This is the same guy that built a car himself when it only needed a MOT only, tested his own car as he was a MOT tester and failed it..........

Cheers

scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJC
This is the same guy that built a car himself when it needed a MOT only, tested his own car as he was a MOT tester, and failed it..........

Does he look like John Cleese, or any of the other Monty Python crew!?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/6/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Does he look like John Cleese, or any of the other Monty Python crew!?

No unfortunately not, nor is he at all funny.

I was lucky enough not to have him as a tester, he was doing the car behind me... Although he still stuck his oar in and picked up on something rediculously pathetic. Which the other tester had to then add that to a fail sheet, even though he'd dismissed it previously

[Edited on 25/6/11 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.