Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very strange Renault Question.
DorsetStrider

posted on 29/2/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Very strange Renault Question.

Hiya guys.

Am working on a friends Renault Scenic. It has been running very lumpy and wouldn't idle. Having given it a good service it is running much better but is still lumpy.

In order to try to track and isolate the problem I disconnected the wires to the coil on No1 cylinder (each cylinder has it's own coil) suddenly the engine ran much smoother. When I repeated this on No's 2 & 3 the engine stalled and on No's 1 & 4 it sounded much smoother with the coil disconnected.

Has anyone come across this sort of behavour before? I'm struggling to get my head round it as (Leonard Nimoys voice) it's totally illogical Capt.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

mikeb

posted on 29/2/12 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
i know meganes were terribel for the ind coil packs failing.
Odd symptons but maybe those two are on the way out.

edsco

posted on 29/2/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
My brothers scenic had similar symptoms, turned out the head gasket had failed or failing and leaky coolant into the cylinder. The cost of repair was way more than what the car was worth (i.e. it was worth nothing)....so he didnt bother fixing it. Bought a new car and the dealer gave him a £150 for it. Blimey!!

edsco

britishtrident

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Coil pack Renualts are very prone to the HT insulation breaking down - it should generate a misfire fault code.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DorsetStrider

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

No fault codes found.
Cylinder compression tests reveal nothing.
Nore does coolant system leak down test.

Whatever the problem is it doesn't seem to show up on vehicle diagnostics although I'm still leaning toward a coil pack on its way out.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

fesycresy

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Does it rattle / sound lumpy from cold?

Although it does sound like a coil pack, cam dephasers can cause rough running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

big-vee-twin

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Renault megane 230 F1 Team R26 fantastic car, the only thing is the coil on plug pack used to fail at regular intervals, you will not get a Fault code when this happens, just poor running.

I would almost put my next wage packet on the coil packs being duff.

I bought some OEM replacement ones of ebay and they worked much better and half the price.

One particular issue was two failing at the same time, Renault had the car two days and couldn't find the fault when I took the car back I did the old spare spark plug in the lead turn over engine and look for a spark trick. It took me twenty mins to find the problem, when Renault couldn't over two days.

That the first thing I would look into Coil Packs. Renault is notorious for these faulting.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Slimy38

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just wondering whether coil pack 1 is actually short circuit, so when it's connected it's actually reducing the spark on number 4? So when it's connected you're only running on 2 and 3, but when it's disconnected you're running on 2, 3 and 4.

Either way I'd be buying a few spare coil packs and start swapping them over to see if there is a working combination. My SEAT is pretty much the same, in fact I would consider a spare coil pack to be a better 'spare' than a spare wheel!

perksy

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for failing coil pack/s
Have you checked the condition of the coil on plug wiring though ?

Suprised its not generating a fault code...

[Edited on 29/2/12 by perksy]

Davegtst

posted on 29/2/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Coils were so prone for failing we (AA patrols) used to carry at least 8 and our vans all the time. Renault used to change all 4 under warranty until it got so out of hand and expensive they changed to only allowing the faulty one to be changed. If you do get a fault code come up these engines number the cylinders opposite to everyone else. The cylinder nearest the timing cover is actually number 4 instead of number 1.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.