Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TVR RV8 coolant loss
Lightning

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
TVR RV8 coolant loss

My Chimaera looses coolant. I cant see any leaks, no water in oil, themostat opens, rad is recored. No noticable steam out of the exhaust.
Now I'm looking at removing the heads, but as a last resort as anyone who has taken off the exhaust manifolds knows what a pain in the ass this is.
BTw temperature is ok until obviously coolant levels drop too far.

Any other thoughts?

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
First is to test the system with a low pressure pressure tester.
When hot and under pressure any leaks will flash off into steam, steam is invisible. By use air to pressurise the system to about 1 to 1.5 bar above ambient pressure any leaks can be found more easily.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Irony

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
There is a fella on here with a V8 Viento (wilkinj) and his cooling system was losing water and he found it was blowing water off when the engine was hot. He has a extra coolant bottle that the water blows off into. When the engine cools it sort of sucks it back up again.

He'll probably post on this thread and explain it better

batteredoldsupersport

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
You can get your system pressure tested and see if it leaks down. The other test is a chemical sniffer for exhaust gas in the coolant and/or antifreeze in the oil/exhaust. Let's do the tests before we start stripping engines.

Years ago my Mum had a Skoda Estelle. It had a coolant leak, never found out where from. We used to carry a couple of litres of coolant around and top it up weekly. There was am idea that the lengthy hoses were porous, these cars often had leaking coolanttrouble, and lots of them went to the breaker because of HG failure.

Lightning

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
ok now to find someone local to do the test that isnt going to cost the earth.

Steve

Bare

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno over the years I've seen heard of a multitude of coolant eating/ leaking issues with that horrid rover v8 abomination.
it's become a v boring story and imo anyone naive enough to own one is on their own.. 'nuff said.

Ivan

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
Are you not having a problem similar to mine on the Cobra as per this thread?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=167200

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Easy enough to make a pressure tester just Tee into hose at the top of the system.
On the Rover K & Ford Zetec I tee into a bleed hose with a connector bought from B&Q connected to a garden sprayer.
On other cars I just use Tee of the type used for LPG installs to tee into the heater hose circuit and a Schrader valve from a Rover KV6 fuel system pressure test point as below.

[img][/img]

[Edited on 6/3/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Irony

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Dunno over the years I've seen heard of a multitude of coolant eating/ leaking issues with that horrid rover v8 abomination.
it's become a v boring story and imo anyone naive enough to own one is on their own.. 'nuff said.

If you can't say anything pleasant or constructive please don't say anything at all.

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
While it is true coolant leaks are far from unknown on the Rover-Buick V8 mostly inlet manifold and head gasket related as a friend who did an truly insterstellar mileage pulling a plant trailer with a very early Range Rover put it "I just do the head gaskets every 130,000 miles".

I am not a big fan of the Rover V8 as performance engine but it deserves respect.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.