Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dashboard lower edge trim for IVA
SteveWallace

posted on 27/4/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
dashboard lower edge trim for IVA

I'm making my dashboard from fairly thin mdf and according to the IVA manual the lower edge must have "... a radius of curvature of not less than 19mm or 5mm and covered with a non-rigid material."

I can make a 19mm+ curved edge from a couple of bits of wooden quadrant (its all going to be covered, so the joins will not be seen). However, I would prefer to go for the 5mm radius. What have people used to comply with the non-rigid material requirement? presumably it has to be non-rigid enough but not too soft and also there presumably has to be a minimum thickness of it. What do Mr and Mrs IVA inspector consider to be acceptable?

Is there an off-the shelf edging material that is IVA proof?

snapper

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
A 19mm radius is 1/2 of a 38mm tube
The smaller but padded radius needs a material similar to your tin top dash material.
Edge trim does not have enough give, perhaps a layer or two of yoga mat would do it.
The material give was described to me as similar to pushing your thumb nail in a sort erasure

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

PeteS2k

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
My dash was padded with a single thickness of yoga mat, but this wasn't enough. The tester said he could still feel the dash edge when he pushed it in. Had to add a bit of tubular / 'D' rubber trim for the retest. So double yoga mat may be a good guide. Maybe even camping mat, rather than yoga mat! Or something denser, as Snapper suggests.

[Edited on 27/4/12 by PeteS2k]

Paul (Notts)

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used the two 20mm quadrat edging strips . looked good covered.

Paul

Kevin

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I sliced washing machine outlet pipe. Bends very nice. Stuck it with silicon but stays in place anyway over mdf edge.
snapper

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I used 40mm waste pipe
19mm radius means you can get away with little or no padding
The smaller radius needs dense padding, camping mat would do it but does not bend easily

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ditchlewis

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
i used pipe insulation covered in an old pair of jeans. if it looks perminant then you will have no problems, if it looks temporary they wont accept it.

regards

Ditch

stevegough

posted on 28/4/12 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
40mm plastic wastepipe, with partly - shaped wooden insert (to help hold the screws), then covered at the same time as the dash and glovebox.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SteveWallace

posted on 28/4/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, I will experiment with what I have in the garage and report back to add my solution to the list.

Steve (gough)- looking at the pic of yours, was the IVA inspector OK with the edge where the dash and scuttle connect to the side of the car, as it looks as though you have not applied the 19mm radius to that bit. Is it not touched by the sphere?

stevegough

posted on 28/4/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Thanks for the advice, I will experiment with what I have in the garage and report back to add my solution to the list.

Steve (gough)- looking at the pic of yours, was the IVA inspector OK with the edge where the dash and scuttle connect to the side of the car, as it looks as though you have not applied the 19mm radius to that bit. Is it not touched by the sphere?

The rule applies to the lower edge of the dash - the edge you can see is the edge of the fibreglass scuttle. - I had a question in my mind as to whether he would have an issue with the bottom (sloping) edge of the dash where the instruments are, as that part is not radiused at all - but in the event, he never mentioned that part. You can see better in this pic that the point you were wondering about is not 'bottom edge of dash'.....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.