Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think I'm turning into a republican...
David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm turning into a republican...

Is anyone else less than impressed by all the nonsense that's gone on in the past weekend?

I don't have any strong feelings about the royals either way - but this has just gone completely OTT...

tegwin

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be miserable..

I suspect most people are not too fussed about the royals per-se but did enjoy the excuse to come together as a community and have a party and long relaxing weekend... If it makes people feel good then thats all that matters!?

The Royals are part of our culture, they are a massive tourist attraction and they are here to stay.. get over it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mookaloid

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
What's wrong with a bit of patriotism and people having a good time in what are after all difficult times for lots of people?

Have a pride in your Country and let others celebrate it if they want to.....

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think I reached my limit when I saw that there was going to be a special "Rolf Harris paints the royals" programme on TV tonight... with various amateur artists contributing...

Bah Humbug! (oh, hang on, wrong time of year!)

[Edited on 5/6/12 by David Jenkins]

tegwin

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I think I reached my limit when I saw that there was going to be a special "Rolf Harris paints the royals" programme on TV tonight... with various amateur artists contributing...

So turn your TV off and go sit in a dark room somewhere...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nah - did that last night...

maccmike

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im with you mate, a right load of shite.
scoop

posted on 5/6/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Off with their heads!
Jenkins and Mac I mean

[Edited on 5/6/12 by scoop]

blakep82

posted on 5/6/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
we get flooded with st pats shite every year, why can't we celebrate our own country once every 10 years?!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

D Beddows

posted on 5/6/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The Queen, Prince Philip, Charles and Harry I have time for because they spend a lot of their time doing good things and the country would actualy be a worse place without them - then William maybe (a BIG maybe)....... after that they should all go and get a proper job if you ask me!
perksy

posted on 5/6/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
If folk want to get together and have a few beers and a laugh then good on 'em

But i think what the weekend cost could have been better spent

As for the royals, i'm afraid i'd of made them redundant years ago...

Had the chance to meet prince phillip a few years back and turned it down
not for me i'm afraid

But each to his own

iank

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
On a positive note it's now inevitable that Nicholas Witchell has a reserved space in the second pit of the eighth circle.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Save turning into a republican in reserve until Queen departs the throne she has done a magnificant job , when you read the order of succession it is difficult not to keep muttering things like unpleasant pratt, idiot, clown, waste of good fresh air, brainless female, the only one with any sense in the top 10 is Anne.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I am disappointed in you all... I try to set up a good troll to get you all going and all you do is mutter a bit. You're just not trying hard enough!

My TRUE views are that it's fine if people want to party and be all patriotic, and it's a shame the weather was so rubbish. I don't have any strong views on the royals, but I think I'd prefer the queen to a president. Good luck to the lot of them!

Was has pee'd me off over the weekend was the absolute rubbish TV coverage and corny/contrived programmes. Most of the stuff put on has been cheap and tacky, and little effort has been put in to make good intelligent productions - mostly token gestures designed to fill air-time.

I'll close with an apology for trying to wind you all up...

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
The Queen, Prince Philip, Charles and Harry I have time for because they spend a lot of their time doing good things and the country would actualy be a worse place without them - then William maybe (a BIG maybe)....... after that they should all go and get a proper job if you ask me!

Charles showed his true colours with the Nicholas Witchell remark it was really nasty, generally Charles gets everything he does wrong, personally I find it very deeply offensive that he turns up at his military engagements with his chest covered in medals in the style of the late not missed General Gadaffi and the evidence shows his sons aren't exact the sharpest tools in the box either.

[/I]

Dingz

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Now, we, the tax payers have paid a vast amount for a big public party for the Monarchy is it time for the monarchy to pay for a good time for the republicans?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

austin man

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Now, we, the tax payers have paid a vast amount for a big public party for the Monarchy is it time for the monarchy to pay for a good time for the republicans?

Lets turn your statement on its head and look at the taxpayers money spent on societies yobs and the workshy. At 86 the queen still does her bit I know people at 60 who haven't worked for 40 years this being down to choice not ill health. Thats where the Taxpayers money gets frittered away along with the amount of money we pay into the prison system. I am neither a republican or a royalist. Im realistic so if ever there was a party that held these values I'd be sat at that bash Long live the Queen

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Charles at his best/worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SGCxRUtXM

[/I]

ed1max

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
About sums it up
http://liberalconspiracy.org/2012/06/05/watch-jon-stewart-rips-queens-jubilee-coverage/

locost47

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
got to laugh when people say william & harry are not the sharpest tools in the box , so true cos everyone can pass flight training & anyone could fly an apache longbow its just the same as a playstation anyone could do it jeez louise some people
jeffw

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

Charles showed his true colours with the Nicholas Witchell remark it was really nasty, generally Charles gets everything he does wrong, personally I find it very deeply offensive that he turns up at his military engagements with his chest covered in medals in the style of the late not missed General Gadaffi and the evidence shows his sons aren't exact the sharpest tools in the box either.

Yet again I find myself at odds with the fountain of opinion that is British Trident. Charles has commanded a RN Warship, as did his father before him so he has a least some military background. He does an enormous amount for this country and for charity as well as running a very successful business.

D Beddows

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I completely understand how and why Charles p*sses people off BUT at least he has an opinion of his own (however misguided sometimes) and gets of his ars* and tries to do something about what he believes in - unlike a lot of other freeloading members of royalty who are 'only here for the beer' to coin a phrase . Wouldn't fancy him as King (nor would his mother obviously ) but you've got to give him a bit of respect for having something about him!
perksy

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:
quote:

Yet again I find myself at odds with the fountain of opinion that is British Trident. Charles has commanded a RN Warship, as did his father before him so he has a least some military background. He does an enormous amount for this country and for charity as well as running a very successful business.

Indeed

He also made himself (and us as a nation) a laughing stock around the world by his affair when he was married

Not exactly setting a shining example on family life from a future monarch....

bonzoronnie

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would class myself as a mildly patriotic person, bordering on quite patriotic

Britain becoming a republic, hmmmm, I can think of 3 reasons why not !

Cameron, Clegg & Miliband

How would folk like to have one of those tossers acting as President, head of state for the UK ?

If that day should ever come, will someone please come & shoot me

Please form an orderly queue

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:
quote:

Charles was quietly removed from the command of the mine sweeper after he ran it aground.
Then there was the HS146 of the Queens flight he insisted on landing, he ran off the end of the runway because was landing with strong wind behind him although the Captain of the aircraft had given him repeated warnings of the danger and repeated told Charles to abort the approach and return control of the aircraft to him. The aircraft landing gear was damaged and took some time to repair.

Incidentally among the 37 medals Charles regularly wears is one for long service in the Canadian Defence Forces --- weird.

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.